Suggsestions for aKey West Campground

CLynnJones

DIS Veteran
I just got back last week and am already planning our next trip for 5/04!! My family thinks I am nuts but to me anticipation is half the fun, as most of you already know!! Since we did WDW 3 times in the past year (thanks to AP'S) we want to try something different and still have our Disney fix. We are planning on stopping at FW for 2 days then head to the Keys for 8 days then back to FW for 2 more days before heading home. We have never ventured further south than WDW before so I would love any advice I could get on where to stay in Key West and any ideas of what to do and where to go once we get there.

we have stayed at Boyds Key West CG, nothing special 3except for close proximity to Key West, one we want to try is www.bluewaterkey.com, it looks real nice, some sites have their own Tiki hut and are on the water, we have also stayed at Sugarloaf KOA, its a bit north of key West about 20 miles, but also a nice campground, although the site we had seemd small it was right on the beach.

Thanks very much Scott for all the ideas! I am going to check out those links. Bluewater Keys sounds very nice with the Tiki Huts. I am going to call them and see if I can get a brochure. Did you ever here of a place called Jabour's? I saw it on the internet and it says it is only 2 blocks away from Duval St. Thanks again for all the info.

I went to Key west many years ago with a club from my college. We stayed about 30 minutes from Key west on an island that had a boy scout campground. Someone in our group had been in the scouts and was able to make ressies.

I thought of going back and I looked up Florida State Parks. I did find one in the keys. Go to
Reserve-America.com

I also once ran across a site from a place that does dolphan stuff on one of the Keys. I think you swim with the dolphans and other fish. Wish I remembered the .com name.

Tigger

we stayed at Bahia Honda State park, which is a bit north, around the seven mile bridge area, it was just after Hurricane Andrew and parts of it were closed, it was a nice state park although hard to get reservations at the time. try www.reserveamerica.com

The BEST campground in the Keys, by far, is Bahia Honda State Park. In 1992, the Bahia Honda beach was selected as one of the 10 best beaches in America. Really great swimming, snorkling and fishing. You can also rent sea kayaks. They no longer rent bicycles, as they says in their ads, but if you bring bicycles, it is a great place to ride. During the summer, you can see turtle nests on the beaches. And the campsites are much better than you will find anywhere else in the Keys. Probably the most interesting sites are right on the water, where you can fish or snorkle from your site, but you will not have as much protection from the sun, because these waterfront sites are not well sheltered by trees. The sites that are set back from the water have many more trees and other vegitation to protect you from the sun. If you are in a tent, there are areas set aside solely for tenters. RV sites have electric and water, but no sewer. Of course there is a dump station. Bahia Honda is only about 40 minutes (approximately 30 miles) from Key West, so it is easy to visit on a day trip. However, the Bahia Honda campground is always filled, so you should try to make reservations as soon as possible through reserveamerica.com. You can make reservations up to 11 months in advance. The maximum stay is 2 weeks. Another option is the cabins, also available through the Bahia Honda State Park, which rent at $130 per day. I think there are only six cabins. We've tried the private campgrounds in the Keys, including the one in Key West, but Bahia Honda is the best. It is also the least expensive, at about $25 per night, as compared with $75 per night in the private campgrounds. Enjoy planning for your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter