Suggestions for staying at a non-Disney resort at DL....

...would it be worth my while to book a room there then? (we already have accumulated over 900 points, which converts to over $900 dollars)...I have osteoporosis in both knees, so I prefer to do as little walking as possible.

Another thing to consider is the security line. We just got back from a split stay, started at Park Vue and ended at GC. One morning it took us 45 minutes to get through security and gate lines from Harbor. GC security was SO much better. Never a line except during early morning and even then then it was super fast, less than 5 minutes. Made a huge difference with time and standing on feet.

I was told that some of the non-Disney hotels area actually CLOSER to the parks in regards to actual walking distance than the 3 Disney resorts. Any truth to that?

Kind of...while technically there are a few of the off site hotels that are are a few steps closer than the Paradise Pier Hotel and even DLH there is more to the equation than just as the crow flies distance.

When staying on site, you enter via DTD which to me is a much better vibe and way to start the day then Harbor Blvd which always feel like the Vegas Strip with cheap shops, pan handlers and street vendors. While totally safe, it is not the same magical start to the day vs entering through DTD IMO.

While that is subjective, the one thing that is not is the Harbor Side security. A few steps savings can easily be eaten up by massive security backups especially in the AM. 20+ min is not uncommon any more on Harbor Side where DTD side security is just resort guests and a handful of others so it is usually pretty smooth sailing since arrivals through the parking garage are screened off site before getting off the trams.

Distance between bulk of the off site hotels and resort hotel is really negligible in the grand scheme of the day. There are plenty of reasons to stay off site, but distance of the on site resort hotels is NOT one of them IMO.

Another thing to consider is the security line. We just got back from a split stay, started at Park Vue and ended at GC. One morning it took us 45 minutes to get through security and gate lines from Harbor. GC security was SO much better. Never a line except during early morning and even then then it was super fast, less than 5 minutes. Made a huge difference with time and standing on feet.
....what are the crowds like the last week of April?

....what are the crowds like the last week of April?

I think it depends on which part of April you go. Some schools are on spring break in April and crowds can be bad. But really it seems like lately there’s no rhyme or reason to which days are crowded. We arrived on July 12 and the first 4 days were low crowds IMO, I was shocked it wasn’t more busy. Except Harbor security, that was a nightmare.

....we will probably only be staying one day, so I am gathering that we can be a bit more flexible about the price....probably, my priority is proximity to the entrance of the parks[reasonable walking distance], and cleanliness is an important factor [doesn't have to be ultra-modern either, but not shabby/run-down]. Depending upon whether we land/take off at LAX (wedding is in Carlsbad area) we might have a rented car)....BTW, there will be 2 of us, or possibly my youngest DS might accompany us [he's 24].

The Park Vue Inn fits with what your looking for and it is as close as you possibly can get. Its directly across the street. And the last week of April is usually great. We have done quite a few vacations over the past few years at the end of April and only one turned out bad with terrible Santa Ana winds but that was a bit of a fluke. Normally its fantastic on the last few days of April.

I think it depends on which part of April you go. Some schools are on spring break in April and crowds can be bad. But really it seems like lately there’s no rhyme or reason to which days are crowded. We arrived on July 12 and the first 4 days were low crowds IMO, I was shocked it wasn’t more busy. Except Harbor security, that was a nightmare.
Yep, we were there July 10-13, and kept talking about the low crowd levels!

We love staying on-site and have enjoyed staying off-site too. I feel the $ spent on-site is especially valuable if you have time to enjoy the resort/hotel. If you’ll be in the parks ALL DAY you might as well stay across the street if $ is an issue. If money is no issue than stay on-site and enjoy the early entry perk. We did a split stay last week. First night was at the Residence Inn Convention Center followed by 2 nights at the Grand. We really really enjoyed our stay at the Grand. We had a wonderful Courtyard room that was very close to the elevators and took a 4-5 hour break one day and enjoyed the pools. Makes it feel more like a vacation and less like a theme park march.

I'm seriously considering CCI for the last night of our fall visit (moving from GCH). i've read so many good reviews on here and LOVE the fact that they have their own dedicated shuttle to and from the parks. I'm a Marriott loyalist too but CCI is a little closer and less expensive. Plus, for just one night, I can get a feel for it to decide if it's a place I would want to stay several days in the future.

We arrive an hour before park opening and never have a wait going thru Harbor security. But, if you are arriving closer to opening, it can be a longer wait.

The Grand is worth it. Just request a room near the elevators due to your bad knees to cut down on walking. They'll do their best to accommodate. I have a bad ankle (plates and pins) and I've found the walk to be doable. Yes, there are closer across the street, but you avoid standing in the long security lines on Harbor (standing is harder on my ankle than walking). Plus the onsite perks (EMH and package delivery) are worth it to me.

I usually put a large baggie in my purse in the morning and when we get back to the Grand at night I stop off at the ice machine nearest the room to fill it to ice my ankle.

If you can use your points at one of the Disney owned hotels that's what I'd do. (personally I've never stayed on site)

I'd also highly recommend a scooter rental. They can deliver to your hotel.

The Grand is worth it. Just request a room near the elevators due to your bad knees to cut down on walking. They'll do their best to accommodate. I have a bad ankle (plates and pins) and I've found the walk to be doable. Yes, there are closer across the street, but you avoid standing in the long security lines on Harbor (standing is harder on my ankle than walking). Plus the onsite perks (EMH and package delivery) are worth it to me.

I usually put a large baggie in my purse in the morning and when we get back to the Grand at night I stop off at the ice machine nearest the room to fill it to ice my ankle.
...thank you for your input and the great suggestions! :thumbsup2

If you can use your points at one of the Disney owned hotels that's what I'd do. (personally I've never stayed on site)....
....I'm under the impression that the Visa points can only be used for the 3 Disneyland hotels, but I could be incorrect with this assumption. Can anyone clarify?

Also remember that even if you are only staying ONE NIGHT in the GC, you get EMH for BOTH your check in day and check out day. So if you are doing two park days you can take advantage of the quiet early hours.

Also remember that even if you are only staying ONE NIGHT in the GC, you get EMH for BOTH your check in day and check out day. So if you are doing two park days you can take advantage of the quiet early hours.
....oooooh, good to know!

A comment on our last trip to DL a few weeks ago... we stayed in Brea (closer to family) and drove to DL, parked at the Mickey & Friends parking garage. Both days it was a very long wait for the tram to the parks, so we decided to walk. Fine on the way there, on the way back to the car the trams were packed again so we walked. Oh my aching feet!

A few days later we ended up adding one day to our trip, so we decided to stay close to DL and just shop at Downtown Disney. We stayed at the Fairfield Anaheim. I'm not certain, but I'd bet the walk to/from the hotel was much shorter than the walk to the Mickey & Friends parking garage!

My perspective on Fairfield... the rooms were clean, the front desk staff was very nice. The rooms have hard flooring (not carpet). We were able to see the Matterhorn and fireworks from our room. There is a parking fee (about $30, I think? We didn't have a car). On the 3rd floor is a small lobby with pizza hut pizzas, grab and go items, and breakfast. Panera and McDonalds are in the parking lot of the hotel. The pool was pretty small, and it's adjacent to the parking lot, but the kids enjoyed it. While not as nice at the Embassy Suites in Brea, I would definitely stay here again for our Disneyland days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter