Suggestions for PTSD flashbacks while at DLR

BethCPTSD

Mouseketeer
UPDATE: Please read edit at bottom of post.

Hi everyone!
I'm Beth. I'm pretty inconsistent on the boards because I usually get more involved when we're planning a trip to WDW, but I'm now back in southern California again and my WDW trips are farther between -- though I'm a Magic Key pass holder at Disneyland -- the park where I grew up going.

If you were to see my past posts, you would know that I have severe dissociative identity disorder, CPTSD, among other things, and I use a task trained service dog in my daily life that has traveled all over the states with me, and been to all US Disney Parks many times. (He's with me in my profile pic!)

My question right now is for suggestions as I return to the Disneyland parks now that the summer hiatus on my pass is over. It's come to my attention that some really disabling symptoms I've had for years are flashbacks and can happen any time of day. These flashbacks were responsible for me totaling my car two years ago (I only drive now under certain circumstances when I'm not showing symptoms as I usually get a warning.) But this doesn't mean that later in the day, I may still have one that is very impairing. The issue is my muscles go limp so I have no strength, I feel so drowsy that my speech becomes horribly slurred and I often pass out if I can't get to the ground quickly enough. These symptoms might occur from first to last over a long period of time, but I never know how far they will escalate or if I'm going to pass out suddenly. It can happen sitting in a restaurant or when I'm standing/walking. It's not every day, but it's common enough to be a concern.

Of course I will have my service dog with me, and he is not trained for this newer type of flashback, but he will sit and "guard" me if I fall (non-protectively/non-aggressively, of course). He has pockets on his vest that I will be putting grounding cards in (the issue isn't really sleep etc, it's dissociating until I'm no longer conscious because I'm re-living a trauma), and a fidget toy if I can find a place to sit (like Space Mountain exit or first aid) and I have ordered a first aid pack that I will put ammonia swabs in (like smelling salts) if anyone were to figure out to look in there.

Otherwise, I just carry a backpack and have Harrison to my side. My first aid pack says "Beth's First Aid" on it, and will clip to the outside of my backpack.

Do you have any other suggestions about this? Maybe other things to carry, possible plans of action, etc? I know if I can get a cast member's attention and I'm getting over drowsy and slurred they could probably wheel me to first aid to lie down a while, but that's all that's occurred to me. And there may not be anything else that can be done, but I'm open to suggestions!!

Thanks so much!

EDIT: many have pointed out I'd just be taken by 911 to the hospital if I pass out. So I'm looking for grounding techniques or tools for prevention and help if I start feeling drowsy. Thank you.
Beth

Last edited:
I forgot to add, that thanks to God, no one was hurt when I crashed my car from my flashback. Just me, and it wasn't too bad. I hit a parked car of all things. I'm very thankful no one was hurt.

If there are specific things that people can do to help you have you considered laminating a card and attaching it to the outside of your backpack or on your service dog? Somewhere very obvious for a CM or guest to find. If you are worried about privacy you could fold the laminated card and put “action plan in case of emergency” on the outside. No one is going to go through your backpack or your dog’s vest looking for ways to help.

Realistically though if you pass out and/or become unresponsive someone will likely call 911 and you will probably be taken to a hospital for evaluation. I don’t think that a CM would think “let me wheel this person over to first aid.”

Edited to add: also while you might know what is in “Beth’s first aid” it is highly unlikely that someone else will open your bag. That’s why I thought that a laminated card or a folded card that explicitly tells people that it is ok to look in an emergency would be more useful.

If there are specific things that people can do to help you have you considered laminating a card and attaching it to the outside of your backpack or on your service dog? Somewhere very obvious for a CM or guest to find. If you are worried about privacy you could fold the laminated card and put “action plan in case of emergency” on the outside. No one is going to go through your backpack or your dog’s vest looking for ways to help.

Realistically though if you pass out and/or become unresponsive someone will likely call 911 and you will probably be taken to a hospital for evaluation. I don’t think that a CM would think “let me wheel this person over to first aid.”

Edited to add: also while you might know what is in “Beth’s first aid” it is highly unlikely that someone else will open your bag. That’s why I thought that a laminated card or a folded card that explicitly tells people that it is ok to look in an emergency would be more useful.

Thank you so much for your reply! I think a card might be a good idea! I also have a leash wrap on my service dog's leash that says that due to my disorders, (I may experience) and then it lists a few things like drowsiness, slurring and fainting -- so people are aware. But I think a card especially that indicates to look in my first aid could be quite helpful.

The reason I mentioned someone taking me to first aid, is that usually I spend a very long time extremely drowsy and feeling like I can't hold my body up (no muscle tone or tension), slurring my words, etc, before any kind of faint comes on. The drowsiness can come on suddenly, but not usually the faint unless I'm forcing myself to walk and my body is saying "I will make you pass out if you do that!" But you're right in that I really don't know how anyone would react, even if I was able to explain it! But trying to take some steps to resolve it in the park, since it's not an ER type emergency.

Thanks again!

Is there someone who can accompany you to the parks? I hate to make implications about your independence, but the truth is, cast members are not really permitted to intervene with anyone who needs assistance. They will likely not even want to touch you or your dog in case you pass out. They will call 911 and security and you will be treated like a medical emergency and likely removed from the park and sent to a hospital for evaluation. Disney will not take any liability for assisting you in a meaningful way, unfortunately. They will also discourage fellow guests from helping you.

It really sounds like this situation is serious and unpredictable and you should not be traveling to the parks alone.

I agree, 911 will be called and you will likely be taken to the hospital. There's no way staff is going to use your first aid on you when you are unconscious. I would imagine staff would even block bystanders who tried to do this. If you have a travel companion, maybe they can prevent it from getting this bad.

I've seen people collapse from heat stoke, and they are treated quickly and go about their day, but they regain consciousness quickly. If you are unconscious still, you are going to wake up in a hospital.

Thank you guys for responding to my question. I see what you're saying that if I actually do faint, they will probably call 911 and definitely not use my medication in my pack.

Let me change the question, because it's more what I'm getting at -- for prevention -- do you have any ideas for grounding items to prevent this or "wake me up" from these dissociative flashbacks? Things I will have with me already -- 5 senses grounding cards in Harrison's vest, I have one fidget toy, I have some peppermint oil and some individual honey packets to taste (for sensory stimulation.) I guess something cold might help? Any other ideas? I know some cool, quiet places (or place) in the park to do these things if needed.

Most days I know not to leave the house because I tend to wake up in this state -- and that keeps this from happening too often in public. But I just went on a trip out of state last week and it happened several times because (fortunately) I was not driving, and I didn't have a lot of options for staying home. I don't anticipate this escalating often at Disney, I just want to be prepared. I have a specific appt in the first week of October to address this with my previous therapist out of state. He's the only one that's been able to help me.

I appreciate your kindness.

Some rather general suggestions
  • stay hydrated
  • eat good food, not just junky treats; possibly eat multiple smaller meals? I don't know if that would help at all.
  • get a good night's sleep
  • don't push yourself
  • if starting to feel tired, it's time to leave the park
And really, that the last two are probably key. Plan a short park visit and leave before you get tired. When the body is tired, it's less likely to be able to cope with stimuli. I worry that if you get drowsy and unable to communicate, CMs are still likely to call 911 even if you have not lost consciousness.

Since this is new, I really suggest a short visit. Even if it's only 1 hour or 2 hours. Just to see how it goes. You said you are a Magic Key holder, so you presumably have opportunities to go again on another day. Keep yourself safe!

Unfortunately I don't have many suggestions other than bringing instant ice packs if you think you will need to cool down in a hurry. Those + cooling towels help a lot. Ladyjudy's suggestion to take it easy/not push yourself is really important as well.

I would caution you though that travel (even fun travel) can be very hard on some people. Eg. my husband gets panic attacks, but normally only in specific situations so we mostly know how to cope with it. We are on vacation now and while he is having a really good time, he has had several attacks in the past week. We have cut out all known triggers, but still we think that him being in unfamiliar surroundings, not eating what we normally eat, and sleeping in a different bed are all contributing factors. We are doing our best to make it as easy as possible for him but we are still taking a lot of middle of the night walks until he calms down and he has taken more "emergency" medicine than he would have wanted just to make it through certain situations.

So I took another trip with my annual pass on Wednesday. Just me and my service dog. This time I went later in the afternoon into the evening, and I successfully avoided any hypoarousal flashbacks. (I also ralked to my doctor back east on how to work with these flashbacks to try to ground before they knock me out, and what to do therapeutically. Basically it's a lot of trauma therapy, but like I said they don't happen everyday.) Some things that helped were the lowered crowds because kids are back in school; going in the evening, it wasn't as hot; definitely taking it easy and not pushing ourselves helped a lot -- and focusing on giving my service dog more breaks gave me time to slow down, sit, have him do deep pressure therapy, play with my fidget, get something to eat/drink and slowing down my usually frantic paced walk. At least for this week, these things did help.

I also got some cute pics with my new phone camera. I'll try to add some here! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230831_003104.jpg
    20230831_003104.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230830_200542 (1) (1).jpg
    20230830_200542 (1) (1).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230830_202214.jpg
    20230830_202214.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230830_171437.jpg
    20230830_171437.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 29
I usually post about my kids issues but I had an ultra-rare PTSD flashback from the Paris terror attack (which we unfortunately experienced first-hand) that happened (of all places) in the Monster's inc. laugh floor. Got outside and across to stroller parking with my girls and just sat with my back against the wall and my head on my knees for about 10 minutes because I started having tunnel vision. Some very lovely woman right next to me with her infant gave me some orange juice that was lovely and cold (I'm so sorry I never got her name). And I did feel better and never passed out. So my advice is find a place in the shade, somewhat quiet, and have something cold to drink on hand. Also know your triggers. I knew I was going to have an issue in the queue but tried to tell myself I was overreacting and stuck it out to the end of the show for the sake of my kids. Should have just left and tried again.

I am not positive where they are now or if they even exist still, but I know that DLR used to have designated areas for those with PTSD during the fireworks. Just ask at guest services.and explain everything, they will be able to tell what accommodations can be made.

I agree, 911 will be called and you will likely be taken to the hospital. There's no way staff is going to use your first aid on you when you are unconscious. I would imagine staff would even block bystanders who tried to do this. If you have a travel companion, maybe they can prevent it from getting this bad.

Something I considered was having a wheelchair nearby. You might be able to park it like stroller parking and just have it be there for emergencies while you're in line.

Is there someone who can accompany you to the parks?

This plus the wheelchair would probably be your best bet because then they can get you seated quickly and wheel you to a bench to lie down. If you lie down on the ground alone, CMs will likely call 911.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter