Suggestions for alternative to The Plaza

PrincessBelle39

DIS Veteran
We currently have an ADR for lunch at The Plaza. We've booked it in the past as we found the food decent for a price that wasn't much more than a CS location. It's been a couple of years since we've eaten there and I was looking at the menu last night and I have to say I'm not that impressed by the prices. I also watched the Disney Dining Show review and what they were getting for the price less than impressed me. The food didn't look much better than CS and by the time the kids add a milkshake (which they are going to want when they see it on the menu) We are going to be looking at $30 per person + for a drink and a main. I don't mind paying this or even a little more if I feel it's worth it.

Can anyone make any suggestions as an alternative for lunch on a MK day? We are a group of 5 with 2 adults and 3 teens - 2 vegetarians and 1 pescatarian. We are happy to leave the park for lunch if there is a good option relatively close by. We are not newbies so can find our way around pretty easily. Two of the teens already have an ADR at Tony's for dinner one night. I've been stalking online for a BOG lunch booking but I know that is not likely.

Columbia Harbor House is a QS with indoor seating across from the Haunted Mansion. All your categories of specialized diet can be realized there.

If you don’t mind leaving the park, I would walk or take the monorail to CR and eat at the Wave. The food is very good. GF Cafe is also good.

I did think of that. We've eaten there before and we really liked it. Forgot to mention though that one of our teens is allergic to shellfish. I didn't realise we were so difficult. :) I'm just looking at the menu there though and there is the chicken pot pie for him.

Walking to The Wave is the quickest option out of the park, but I think the prices are about the same as The Plaza and I don't care for the menu as much. The quick service at Poly is a favorite of ours, if you wanted to take a boat over. Have you looked at Whispering Canyon? We lunched there a month or so ago and it was really good and a lot of fun! GF Cafe is also delicious for lunch but I will warn you that service there always seems soooo sloooow. Depending upon how hot it is, that might be a good thing ;)

We are big Plaza fans, but we don't pay for specialty drinks at a meal so it does end up being more affordable than most other options. On hot park days, I always find myself craving a sandwich or salad and I love the club sandwich (it's huge!) and the salad at Plaza so it is our go-to. The resort menus for lunch always seem so heavy for some reason and I tire of the CS lines/table battles...

We still like the Plaza as I find the prices pretty reasonable comparatively. My daughter usually wants a milk shake too, but her and my husband can usually share one since they are so big. As an alternative I'd suggest Liberty Tree Tavern. Of course their prices are about the same, but for what you get I'd still do that over a counter service. Plus the ooey gooey toffee cake is one of the best desserts on property.

We also like Skippers Canteen and usually just get a bunch of apps for everyone to share instead of entrees.

If you want to get out of the park you could monorail or boat it over to the Polynesian. I think Captain Cooks is one of the best counter service places on property.

Thanks everyone. Lots of good options. IN the end we've been lucky enough to score a Be Our Guest lunch reservation. So I've taken that and booked The Wave for breakfast.

We just ate there this week. Worst, greasy burger I have ever had. The bottom bun was totally inedible due to being completely soggy from grease as my wifes.
I would suggest Pecos Bill, Columbia harbour House or Pinocchios for flat breads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter