Suggestions for accomodation for a family of 6

aussiejen

Mouseketeer
Good Afternoon All,

We just got back from DL as a family of 5 now have just confirmed our next visit to WDW we will be a family of 6! i know it will be harder to find accomodation as a larger family and would love suggestions on resort with suites/ ajoining rooms to accomodate our family. would love a resort with transportation to the parks aswell.

I will add that we are looking at returning in early 2021, how far in advance can we book?
We love POP Century and have considered ajoining rooms there but was thinking of trying out another resort as well this time.

Any help would be appreciated. :thanks:

We've stayed at the Family Suites at Art of Animation and All Star Music. Both have enough beds for 6.

and would love suggestions on resort with suites/ ajoining rooms to accomodate our family. would love a resort with transportation to the parks aswell.
Adjoining rooms are not what you think/need. Connecting rooms, which is what you want, are never, ever, ever guaranteed. You really, really want either a family suite or a two bedroom villa. Disney reservationists are extremely helpful, as are specialized Travel Agencies like Dreams Unlimited. All onsite resorts have transportation to and from all the parks.
how far in advance can we book?
499 days.

The cabins at Fort Wilderness will hold six, although the transportation there requires an internal bus system to get to the buses to the parks.

We have a family of 6 and have stayed onsite all together twice (we often do short trips with just a few family members for specific events, like races.)

1. Fort Wilderness cabin-stayed there exactly a year ago when our kids were 17, 16, 13, and 11. The kids all slept in the bedroom (1 queen bed and a set of bunk beds) and Dh and I slept on the pullout sofa. The pull out sofa wasn't awful--Dh is a pretty big guy and I am fairly petite and there was plenty of room. My biggest complaint was just the annoyance of "putting away" the bed each morning so we'd still have a sofa to sit on. In general, I'd say the cabins are a good value because you get a kitchen for preparing light meals (especially convenient for breakfast!) and a large deck.

2. 2 bedroom suite at BWI, this was a suite on the club level. It had a master bedroom with a King size bed, a second bedroom with two queen size beds, and a pull out sofa in the living room. The master bath was huge with a shower and separate jacuzzi tub, the second bedroom was just like a standard room and bath. There was also a half bath near the living room. This was paid for by someone else as a gift to us so I'm not sure of the cost, but it's definitely beyond my budget--I'd guess at least $1200/night +.

If the new addition to your family is a baby, then they don’t “count” until they turn 3. If that is the case, then any resort that holds 5 can work for you.

If the new addition to your family is a baby, then they don’t “count” until they turn 3. If that is the case, then any resort that holds 5 can work for you.
Oh really? :thumbsup2 Bubs should be about 18mths old does that still matter?
that would make things alot easier i suppose...

WL and AKL have deluxe rooms that hold six people.
would love to stay at either of these resorts , would have to look into DVC rentals as they are a little out of our price range as we will be staying about 15nights....
they are on my bucket list :thumbsup2

We've stayed at the Family Suites at Art of Animation and All Star Music. Both have enough beds for 6.
would love to stay at AOA ...lucky we have a bit of time to save. what are the family rooms like at All star music? what one did you prefer?

Adjoining rooms are not what you think/need. Connecting rooms, which is what you want, are never, ever, ever guaranteed. You really, really want either a family suite or a two bedroom villa. Disney reservationists are extremely helpful, as are specialized Travel Agencies like Dreams Unlimited. All onsite resorts have transportation to and from all the parks.
Thank you, we did book through Dreams unlimited previously actually. i didnt know that connecting rooms werent guaranteed, thats good to know before i go ahead and book it.

499 days.
well that gives us plenty of time to save which is good as were planning on staying for at least 15 nights so far. :banana:

We have a family of 6 and have stayed onsite all together twice (we often do short trips with just a few family members for specific events, like races.)

1. Fort Wilderness cabin-stayed there exactly a year ago when our kids were 17, 16, 13, and 11. The kids all slept in the bedroom (1 queen bed and a set of bunk beds) and Dh and I slept on the pullout sofa. The pull out sofa wasn't awful--Dh is a pretty big guy and I am fairly petite and there was plenty of room. My biggest complaint was just the annoyance of "putting away" the bed each morning so we'd still have a sofa to sit on. In general, I'd say the cabins are a good value because you get a kitchen for preparing light meals (especially convenient for breakfast!) and a large deck.
Fort Wilderness looks awesome and is definately a resort id love to stay at one day... we are looking at a split stay as we are wanting to stay at least 15 nights...my kids will be 17, 14, 4 & 18mths roughly.

2. 2 bedroom suite at BWI, this was a suite on the club level. It had a master bedroom with a King size bed, a second bedroom with two queen size beds, and a pull out sofa in the living room. The master bath was huge with a shower and separate jacuzzi tub, the second bedroom was just like a standard room and bath. There was also a half bath near the living room. This was paid for by someone else as a gift to us so I'm not sure of the cost, but it's definitely beyond my budget--I'd guess at least $1200/night +.
wow sounds amazing..... wow $1200 a night is definately out of my budget especially for the length of time were staying. i will check out the pics on this place though, would love to see it.

We really like the family suites at Art of Animation.
yes they do look awesome & the little ones would love it :goodvibes the whole resort looks lovely.. DH cant believe some of the resorts over there...they look like part of the parks he reckons

would love to stay at AOA ...lucky we have a bit of time to save. what are the family rooms like at All star music? what one did you prefer?
i haven't stayed there (at all), but the ASMusic Family Suites were created out of connecting rooms.
Layout https://www.mousesavers.com/family-suites-at-disneys-all-star-music-resort/
Lots of pictures https://www.disboards.com/media/categories/all-star-music-family-suite.213/

Queen bed in the bedroom. Sofa bed, chair bed, ottoman bed in the living room.
Two bathrooms.
Kitchenette in the bedroom.
Pro: less expensive than AoA
Con: door is in the living room, not tye bedroom

THe baby will not count towards the room count. You can book a room that holds 5 and one person under 3 is "free" in terms of head count, so really 6 can fit.

I would look at resorts such as the Poly, YC, PoR that sleep 5. It might be your last trip where you can all fit in one room at one of theses resorts. Save the suites until your youngest is 3

The cabins at Fort Wilderness will hold six, although the transportation there requires an internal bus system to get to the buses to the parks.
but have one bathroom!!!!! that is the turn-off with those. I would do either AoA or two rooms, most connecting requests are given.. I would risk it. we have always gotten one.

Havent stayed in the Music family suites, but the layout and sleeping arrangements do not appeal to me.. you get only one read bed and the rest are pullouts...

with AOA you get a queen bed and a murphy bed ( from the wall and comfortable.) and a pullout couch. I prefer AoA over ASMU.. cost more though. We have stayed at ASMovies, nice resort, but AOA is better and keep in mind will also be connected to the Gondola system.(skyline)

Last edited:
AOA would be my choice... plenty of room for 6.. I love the fact you can close the bed room door which is great if you have a sleeping little one, plus you can have a moment of privacy... 2 bathrooms are a must with a larger family...

Another thought is that with all the new resorts going up, you might have a few more choices.

Best wishes on the newest addition to your family...

I have read somewhere on here that if your children are under 18 and they are in a second room, they almost always give you the connecting room. Now, I have no experience with this as I have two children and have never 'needed' this request. However, we have traveled with family a LOT and requested connecting rooms. Almost always the request is granted. Now, we have not always taken it as there have been times when we could get a better location by having them separate~ but we've traveled with family at least 7-8 times and each time, the connecting room request has been offered~ and we didn't have a reason other than~ traveling with family.

I think I would do 2 separate rooms and request connecting rooms~ telling them up front that you have children under 18 that will be in the second room. I feel like that option would probably give you more space and the price is almost the same as a suite~ like very close to the exact same. Plus 2 bathrooms. I'd check into that~ I feel like with a family of 6~ your request would be granted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter