Suggestion for Tuesday discussion

DWFamilyof6

Mouseketeer
I have a suggestion for the Tuesday discussion..... When the heck is Disney going to make Hollywood Studios a more pleasant experience. Planning your day around the hopes of snagging a Boarding Group is insane. How long will this go on?? The entire park is completely packed at 8am in the morning. It's only going to get worse with spring break coming up. And, no hint or mention of Early Morning Magic Hours for onsite guests. Not to mention the bus and Skyliner transportation is unreliable to get you to the park in time to get the Boarding pass. I'm just very disappointed that this park now has so many exciting new attractions but to experience them it is a real real pain in the butt!

Maybe a slight tweak to that would be more about "how to adjust your touring strategy to have the best day possible at Hollywood Studios" or something like that

We were just at WDW and our DHS day was the best day of our trip and also our most productive so it can be done, but do have to change some aspects of how you tour

Maybe a slight tweak to that would be more about "how to adjust your touring strategy to have the best day possible at Hollywood Studios" or something like that

We were just at WDW and our DHS day was the best day of our trip and also our most productive so it can be done, but do have to change some aspects of how you tour
I’d love to hear how you did it. I’ve just been hearing horror stories.

I’d love to hear how you did it. I’ve just been hearing horror stories.

So I will caveat this was before MMRR opened and also before FP was added to MFSR, so, I think that is another challenge to the park in that things seem to be continually evolving ...

What we got done:
- Rope dropped MF:SR
- Breakfast at Docking Bay 7
- Rode SDD (FP)
- Did character meets (split up - older kids met BB-8, youngest met Disney Jr characters)
- Built Droids
- Explored market place
- Lunch at Ronto Roasters
- Rode Star Tours (FP)
- Oga's Cantina
- Took break back at resort
- Rode Rise of the Resistance
- Rode Toy Story Mania
- Rode Alien Swirling Saucers
- Rode MF:SR again
- Rode MF:SR again (so 3 times total)

Some thoughts/advice:
- be at the park at least 1 hour before listed opening.
- If taking the bus be at the bus stop at least 1.5 hours before park opening. If possible, take ride sharing or drive - we had a car, so we dove over, leaving our resort at 6:30 (for an 8pm opening) and were through bag check and security at 6:56.
- stay to the right for tapstyles, but not the very last 2 (they only have one scanner, so be 3-4 in from the very right
- pick out what rope drop ride you want to do and get in that line
- make friends with the people around you - we had really good conversations with the people around us and to be honest, one positive of the Boarding Group process is it creates a sense of community
- For trying to get a BG, have as many people try as possible, all can be logged into one MDE account. Turn off Wifi (if possible/you can use data), close everything else. Do a restart of your phone earlier in the morning and then check that you are logged in to MDE, close everything on your phone. Startup the MDE app about 5 minutes before park opening but leave on first page. Right at park opening count to 3 and click on the AT-AT picture and "join boarding group" should be red
- Because of BG process, rope drop is crowded/hectic - if you can't be there at least 1 hour ahead of time, then wait for the headliners as waits peak right after opening
- tons of value in the last hour or so the park is open if you can skip the evening entertainment shows ... rope drop is worse, but end of the day seems to be sweet spot

Some alternatives:
- Non-healiners tend to have very little lines at opening - so "rope drop" Star Tours or things like that
- Scan in and leave right away, secure a BG outside of the park and go get breakfast somewhere, just skip the morning crush

One thing I would try to do is for your DHS day, minimize other plans. Avoid having to park hop, avoid having ADRs, etc. - the more flexibility you have the better. Also, ideally, have some flexibility later in your trip in case things don't work out on your first attempt at DHS

lastly, try to keep a positive attitude. As mentioned, we had good conversation with people around us as we waited and then eveyrone was led calmly into Galaxy's Edge and wasn't pushing or shoving or anything. It was stressful but the end result was really fun and positive - try not to let the horror stories scare you!

So I will caveat this was before MMRR opened and also before FP was added to MFSR, so, I think that is another challenge to the park in that things seem to be continually evolving ...

What we got done:
- Rode SDD (FP)
- Did character meets (split up - older kids met BB-8, youngest met Disney Jr characters)
- Built Droids
- Explored market place
- Rode Star Tours (FP)
- Oga's Cantina
- Rode Toy Story Mania

Some thoughts/advice:
- If taking the bus be at the bus stop at least 1.5 hours before park opening. If possible, take ride sharing or drive - we had a car, so we dove over, leaving our resort at 6:30 (for an 8pm opening) and were through bag check and security at 6:56.
- stay to the right for tapstyles, but not the very last 2 (they only have one scanner, so be 3-4 in from the very right
- make friends with the people around you - we had really good conversations with the people around us and to be honest, one positive of the Boarding Group process is it creates a sense of community
- For trying to get a BG, have as many people try as possible, all can be logged into one MDE account. Turn off Wifi (if possible/you can use data), close everything else. Do a restart of your phone earlier in the morning and then check that you are logged in to MDE, close everything on your phone. Startup the MDE app about 5 minutes before park opening but leave on first page. Right at park opening count to 3 and click on the AT-AT picture and "join boarding group" should be red
- Because of BG process, rope drop is crowded/hectic - if you can't be there at least 1 hour ahead of time, then wait for the headliners as waits peak right after opening
- tons of value in the last hour or so the park is open if you can skip the evening entertainment shows ... rope drop is worse, but end of the day seems to be sweet spot

Some alternatives:
- Non-healiners tend to have very little lines at opening - so "rope drop" Star Tours or things like that
- Scan in and leave right away, secure a BG outside of the park and go get breakfast somewhere, just skip the morning crush

One thing I would try to do is for your DHS day, minimize other plans. Avoid having to park hop, avoid having ADRs, etc. - the more flexibility you have the better. Also, ideally, have some flexibility later in your trip in case things don't work out on your first attempt at DHS

lastly, try to keep a positive attitude. As mentioned, we had good conversation with people around us as we waited and then eveyrone was led calmly into Galaxy's Edge and wasn't pushing or shoving or anything. It was stressful but the end result was really fun and positive - try not to let the horror stories scare you!
Great advice thanks so much! Maybe you should lead the show about it. :worship:

We rocked getting boarding passes on a few occasions with no problem and got lots done. What is making it crazy is the mega crowds which have gotten really bad, and being forced to rope drop. If you want to enjoy the ambiance of Hollywood Studios and meander and catch the Citizens of Hollywood, though, the mega-crowds and early rise make the whole experience very unpleasant. I used to love coming to HS, and would dress up 1930s/40s style to go there. No time to do that at that dumb time in the morning, and by the time you’ve “got it all done”, all the energy for lingering has been zapped.

We rocked getting boarding passes on a few occasions with no problem and got lots done. What is making it crazy is the mega crowds which have gotten really bad, and being forced to rope drop. If you want to enjoy the ambiance of Hollywood Studios and meander and catch the Citizens of Hollywood, though, the mega-crowds and early rise make the whole experience very unpleasant. I used to love coming to HS, and would dress up 1930s/40s style to go there. No time to do that at that dumb time in the morning, and by the time you’ve “got it all done”, all the energy for lingering has been zapped.
This. I hate that there is absolutely no advantage to getting there early.... everyone is rope dropping.

Well, we were at HS this past Wednesday for MMRR opening. I expected it to be utter chaos as the MK ticketing agent (sorry...guest relations agent), told us there was a 300 minute wait for MMRR. That was a huge red flag for us to avoid HS at all costs. So what did we do? Well, we armed ourselves with AP's and said let's check it out and if it is nightmarish, we'll just leave.

Easy bus ride from MK to HS (~11:00 AM) and tapped right in. Walked directly to MMRR and saw the SB queue advertised ~90 minutes. We felt like we hit the lottery and went on the ride; it is stellar!

FP for MFSR (anytime) and jumped on that. SWGE was bustling, but not to the point where we were "shoulder checking" anyone. One of us enjoyed the ride (the other said never again, but they are prone to motion sickness).

Left HS and said that was an unexpected good time, but will plan a little better next time. I know this situation isn't for everyone, but I think HS has evolved into a more enjoyable park.

What we got done:
- Rode SDD (FP)
- Built Droids
- Explored market place
- Rode Star Tours (FP)
- Oga's Cantina
- Rode Toy Story Mania

Some thoughts/advice:

Some alternatives:

You nailed it, Phil! That sounds like an awesome day....

This. I hate that there is absolutely no advantage to getting there early.... everyone is rope dropping.

Last time we RD’d, we secured our Boarding passes, and then got in line for SDD. Well that line snaked farther than I’d ever seen it. I said, this is going to be at least two hours, what’s the advantage of being here early? We stayed because we wanted our friend to experience the ride. There was no cart, no stand, no restroom that didn’t have lines that morning.

Why would they change it....

Your awake and in the park early so you’re paying for breakfast with your family.

Depending on when your boarding group is your essentially trapped there until it’s time, so then they want you for help yourself to treats and coffee and/or lunch.

they know what their doing and until the demand dies down they got you...

mom going to ride it tomorrow and see what the hype is about

Why would they change it....

Your awake and in the park early so you’re paying for breakfast with your family.

Depending on when your boarding group is your essentially trapped there until it’s time, so then they want you for help yourself to treats and coffee and/or lunch.

they know what their doing and until the demand dies down they got you...

mom going to ride it tomorrow and see what the hype is about
Agreed. They have no desire to change anything, as much as we'd all love the longer hours back, the early hours in the morning, etc. I can't see them changing things, as the shareholders are getting what they want. Packed parks and lower costs because they are cutting back on staff, shorter hours, etc. I think the BG (for Rise) are a great idea (even with the difficulties some are having with getting them) and seem to be the best of what could be a day long wait. You at least have a chance to ride it while being able to go and find something else to do. But, I am suspecting that the days of having slow times of the year at Disney, or EMH until super late at night (past 11 pm) are long gone :( :(.

I get the feeling from all of the youtube reactions that every one likes the ride, but it might not be exactly what they thought it was going to be. I feel like most that reviewed were very happy with ride, but it seemed like there was always a but, but didn't want to elaborate. Is it possible, with all the Disney hype, that most thought it wan't going to be a ride aimed at such a young crowd. My thoughts are maybe this ride would have bee better suited for Fantasy Land in the Magic Kingdom. The Chinese theater is such a prime location and you went from a ride that appealed to a Adults and kids to a ride that is really aimed at the 12 and under crowd. This is not a slight on the ride but maybe the location is incorrect.
Curious to know what everyone else thinks.

My sister ws there yesterday. Flew in just for one day at DHS so her Dh could do RoTR. They got a boarding group (thanks to my savvy board stalking and help with their planning) and the rope dropped MMRR and rode everything in the park except Slinky Dog. Said they had a fantastic day.

Well, we were at HS this past Wednesday for MMRR opening. I expected it to be utter chaos as the MK ticketing agent (sorry...guest relations agent), told us there was a 300 minute wait for MMRR. That was a huge red flag for us to avoid HS at all costs. So what did we do? Well, we armed ourselves with AP's and said let's check it out and if it is nightmarish, we'll just leave.

Easy bus ride from MK to HS (~11:00 AM) and tapped right in. Walked directly to MMRR and saw the SB queue advertised ~90 minutes. We felt like we hit the lottery and went on the ride; it is stellar!

FP for MFSR (anytime) and jumped on that. SWGE was bustling, but not to the point where we were "shoulder checking" anyone. One of us enjoyed the ride (the other said never again, but they are prone to motion sickness).

Left HS and said that was an unexpected good time, but will plan a little better next time. I know this situation isn't for everyone, but I think HS has evolved into a more enjoyable park.
What is SB and MFSR please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter