Stupid question about sunscreen and flying

Dostert9

Disneyland Lover!!
Is it ok to pack that spray aerosal sunscreen in your suitcase to fly? It won't like explode in my luggage will it from the altitude?

I've always packed an aerosol hairspray and it does fine. But my mom did tell me that it's not a good idea to bring aerosol on the plane. I just put it in a gallon ziploc just in case.

Like the PP suggests a ziplock bag is a good idea, or better yet, wrap it in a plastic grocery bag. A ziplock can pop open too. I have had sunscreen leak a little bit changing elevations but certainly not explode.

I travel with spray on sunscreen all the time in my checked bag. I also put them in a ziplock bag.

I took a can of Neutrogena aerosol spray (the 'cooling mist' sunscreen) on Mission: Space at Epcot, where it was subjected to intense multiple Gs. After about the 5th time (in the same day) the can began spraying during our last evening ride, coming through my bag and covering my legs with sunscreen!

I figure if it takes 5 times on Mission: Space to cause the aerosol to leak, a Ziploc should be okay. So that's how I do it for airplanes. ;)

I'm planning on taking only a carry-on suitcase and was worried about sunblock. TSA allows aerosol sunblock on a plane without it having to be 3 ounces or under? I may have to go buy a bottle.

I flew with the aerosol in my bag. I have a plastic zippered pouch in my suitcase that I put all my toiletries in. Everything stayed closed with no problems.

I use ziplock baggies for sunscreen, but also for shampoo. That always seems to puff up and leak...

I'm planning on taking only a carry-on suitcase and was worried about sunblock. TSA allows aerosol sunblock on a plane without it having to be 3 ounces or under? I may have to go buy a bottle.

Unfortunately, no. You can't have more than 3 oz of liquid in one container. If I'm not checking a bag (which is the case more often than not, now) I'll pick up aerosol sunscreen as soon as I land.

I usually just pack the full sized items in my checked luggage and one solid sunscreen stick in our carry on.

I use ziplock baggies for sunscreen, but also for shampoo. That always seems to puff up and leak...

You can wrap the bottle's threading with a bit of teflon tape and recap to minimize air leaks. I still pack in a plastic bag but this pretty much eliminates leaky lids for me. :)

Thanks everyone! I bought 2 large aerosol cans and they are packed and ready to go in gallon bag in my checked luggage. Gonna need it with 7 kids!

if you're worried about sunscreen in a carryon not getting through security you might want to try the sunscreen wipes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter