Stupid names for a child

I never figured out why in city names why anybody would name a boy Reno? Because it sounds weird and when I imagine somebody named Reno I see a blond teenager wearing sunglasses and a cap dressed to go to the beach but nobody would name their son Reno just because they are a fan of the city. Another thing I noticed is that boys names are not spelled with a K as they used to. Like they had names like Klifford Klinton or Klint and if you see boys named Clifford or Clint they spell it with a C now and it is surprising that they do this now. And now instead of Stephanie girls are now called Stevie and Steve rather than Stephanie and I never knew Stephanies were also known as Stevies until singer Stevie Nicks but I've never seen Stephanies being called Steve before and so that is odd to me

I was watching a House Hunters show where the mother named her son Havoc. She said she named him that to "make him strong". What she actually doing is making sure his teachers look at his name and mentally say, "Oh boy, here comes trouble!"

Up until sometime in the 90's, French parents had to formally name their child from a large list of "approved" names. You could call them whatever you wanted, but their birth
certificate had to have an "approved" name on it.

Now, you can name them whatever you want in France, AS LONG AS the name isn't on the "prohibited" list. Some names on the list are....whaaaaat? why not? huh?

Prohibited names (a short list of birth certificate names that have been denied by the French government):
Topac
Fraise
MJ
Titeuf
Mini Cooper
Prince-William
Liam (for a girl, OK for a boy)
Nutella
Louis-Quatorze
Pierre-Tombal
Fleur de Marie
Princess-Rebecca
Ambre (for a boy, OK for a girl)
Daemon
Griezmann Mbappe
Folavril
Marie-Automne

Names like Adolf Hitler and Mussolini have always been prohibited.

You also cannot use the last name of one parent if the child's last name is that of the other parent.....which is strange because it's pretty common in some places to use the mother's maiden name as the son's (or daughter's) first name.

Apparently there's not a list of prohibited names, per se, but names can be rejected by whatever government office there is that determines if it is acceptable.

I never figured out why in city names why anybody would name a boy Reno? Because it sounds weird and when I imagine somebody named Reno I see a blond teenager wearing sunglasses and a cap dressed to go to the beach but nobody would name their son Reno just because they are a fan of the city. Another thing I noticed is that boys names are not spelled with a K as they used to. Like they had names like Klifford Klinton or Klint and if you see boys named Clifford or Clint they spell it with a C now and it is surprising that they do this now. And now instead of Stephanie girls are now called Stevie and Steve rather than Stephanie and I never knew Stephanies were also known as Stevies until singer Stevie Nicks but I've never seen Stephanies being called Steve before and so that is odd to me
I’ve never heard of anyone naming Clifford or Clint with a K, always a C.

Another naming trend that is very odd to me is that they take a name like Jason and spell it J'son and I have never understood why they spell Jason like that now. And it is weird to me and I don't know how that spelling of Jason became popular now. And another name that has a lot more weird spellings is David and I remember when David became a hugely popular boy's name and almost everybody named their sons David but if you look at the name David now they now spell it as Davide and this spelling is quite odd and popular than the traditional spelling. But as for these weird spellings of boy's names that begin with J it won't be long till we see J'eremy or J'ackson become popular spellings of the names Jeremy and Jackson

Not true. Those are urban myths. Don't forget la-a for LaDasha. I'm sure she taught one of those as well as Orangejello's twin Lemonjello.

Ok, I worked with a girl once and she named her son Orangello this was the spelling on the announcement - it was pronounced "O'rangge a lowe... and her little girl was P'laycenta spelling again on announcement - pronounced Playcentita...

We have a friend his son is named Rowdy... and he is just that...

We have a friend who son and his wife just named their son Winston... she was disappointed she wanted something else, for me personally, I like it.

Those names may have started out as myths but then people started seeing them and talking about them, and some liked them enough to use them. I just retired from 30 years in child welfare and I cannot even believe some of the names I've come across. Personally, I prefer the classics. Growing up "Carla" was too different so all 3 of my sons have common names and common spellings. I think it's awful for anyone to have to spell his/her name every time they get asked. The trend I really could never stand is any first name with an apostrophe. I've even known of some first names with 2 apostophes.

Another naming trend that is very odd to me is that they take a name like Jason and spell it J'son and I have never understood why they spell Jason like that now. And it is weird to me and I don't know how that spelling of Jason became popular now. And another name that has a lot more weird spellings is David and I remember when David became a hugely popular boy's name and almost everybody named their sons David but if you look at the name David now they now spell it as Davide and this spelling is quite odd and popular than the traditional spelling. But as for these weird spellings of boy's names that begin with J it won't be long till we see J'eremy or J'ackson become popular spellings of the names Jeremy and Jackson
I actually had a high school friend named Davidde, and he pronounced it DAH-VEE-DAY. It's simply a variation of David. Now the one that threw me for a moment was Gessycka, as a variation of Jessica.

Strange names have been around since the beginning of time, so they are nothing new. I would only hope if a child is given an unusual first name, that their middle name is more mainstream, giving the child a choice which to go by.

My mother and all of her sisters went by their middle names.
Ima Hogg, springs to mind.

Has anyone ever named their kids after cars or car brands? That's another weird naming trend that started with actor Chevy Chase and who would name a boy Chevy? That sounds weird to me along with Ford for boys. But I wouldn't be shocked if anyone named their son Dodge but people name their kids Bentley too

Has anyone ever named their kids after cars or car brands? That's another weird naming trend that started with actor Chevy Chase and who would name a boy Chevy? That sounds weird to me along with Ford for boys. But I wouldn't be shocked if anyone named their son Dodge but people name their kids Bentley too
Conversely, Mercedes (the car brand) was named after a person. Chevy Chase is actually Cornelius. Chevy is a nickname not based on the car brand.

When I taught, one of my biggest pet peeves was when other teachers would look at their class roles before school started and comment on names.

More than a few times I may have made the comment, "I'm sure someone heard our names for the first time and thought that was a stupid name and now look where that name is now!"

A teacher who lasted exactly 3 weeks into the school year was making fun of the spelling of a child's name. "How did they get Shayla out of that jumble of letters?" I told her they'd just came from a refugee camp in Somalia. She didn't get it. There were a lot of things she didn't get and that's why she lasted 3 weeks.

You may think a name, or the spelling of a name is stupid, but it's that person's identity. It's not stupid to them.

You may think a name, or the spelling of a name is stupid, but it's that person's identity. It's not stupid to them.
I'm sure at least some of them grow up and wonder what the heck their parents were thinking.
I know someone who adopted school aged kids and let them choose if they wanted to change their names at all. One did decide to fix the unusual spelling.

I agree with "monsterkitty". I think there are "unusual" names and there are names I would never consider naming a child, but I disagree any name should be called "stupid".
Well said. In elementary school I knew a kid named Wolfgang; I saw it as no big deal because A) it's his name and B) we both talked about being German. But man were kids cruel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter