• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stupid names for a child

When my husband was teaching, there was a set of twins in the junior high school he was at. Hawaii and Cadillac.

Yep. Conception.

I dont understand almost double names
Dave Davidson
John Johnson
Robbie Roberts

I understand there are some traditional family names, but, come on, pick something a little more enthusiastic

Also, please think of how that person will carry that name for life in most cases. Think of them as an adult, a working professional, etc. While some names are cute as a baby, they don't translate well after toddler hood.

LISTEN! I used to work at the DMV and actually had a Starshine and Moonbeam (sisters)!!!! They each had long names (like four for one and the other had five, I think) not including their last and the whole thing was crazy! I'm talking Lilly-Valley and Purple-River and I think one of them even had Dancer but I can't remember which one.

Pickle
a parent I encountered once named her daughter after the state they lived in
Chlamydia

I dont understand almost double names
Dave Davidson
John Johnson
Robbie Roberts

I understand there are some traditional family names, but, come on, pick something a little more enthusiastic

Also, please think of how that person will carry that name for life in most cases. Think of them as an adult, a working professional, etc. While some names are cute as a baby, they don't translate well after toddler hood.
This goes back to Scandinavia. Boy's surnames were always the name of the father with -son after it. David Davidson would be just like having a Junior. I have a great uncle that is John Johnson, although since he was a kid he was always called Jack to differentiate from his father.

Took DS to the urgent care tonight because he cut his hand and hasn't had a tetanus shot in a long time. We’re vacationing in Wisconsin and the receptionist had no trouble nailing the spelling of his Scandinavian first and last names, but then asked for his middle name, he had to spell it for her 3 times - Seamus! I made it his middle name on purpose so he wouldn’t have to spend too much time spelling it for people, but he’s half Irish and needed something there!

Egg is great if it's short for Aegon Targaryen. Fellow GoT nerds know what I mean.
So true!
And for a time I can remember when Michael was a huge popular name for boys and everybody named their sons Michael.
As a teacher, I've seen name trends come and go (right now I'm teaching Destiny, Destinee and Destini ... and Jaden, Jaydn, so many ways to spell Jayden ... and Ashley is making a comeback), but I don't think I've ever had a semester when I didn't teach at least one Michael. Sounds nice, it's in the Bible, a nod to Michael Jordan, most people like the name Mike as a nickname.
Like instead of the name Jeremy they spell Jeremy as Jeromy and they spell Jacob as Jakob and I have never understood this because I remember when names had simple spellings and were easy to pronounce. But I think this trend will last for years to come
Those "one letter off" type of names annoy me to no end. Right now I have in class a Jermy (pronounced Jeromy, like short for Jerome or Jeremiah -- but it makes me think Germy). This stuff isn't unique ... it's a quasi-handicap for the poor child.
I am also not a fan of King, Sir, Princess, Charisma. I hate having to go get a 4 year old kid and saying “King, I’m bringing you over for your Xray”
I've seen a huge family (including cousins) come through our high school, all with themed names: King, Prince (might've been two of them), Duke, Princess, Tiara, Royal, Diamond, Noble, Marquis.
But the worst of that sort I've heard (not from that huge family) was Master. Seriously, what does that make you think?
Except Gus isn't really gender indicative. You don't run into very many female's named Gus these days but the same could have been said about male's 5-10 years ago
And some names change over the years. When I was a child, Sydney /Sidney was a male name ... now it's always Sydney and is usually feminine. Same with Tristen.
When our youngest was born our middle child (3 at the time) wanted his new baby sister to have "Wonderland" as her middle name........her first name was Allison. We cracked up.
3 year olds are allowed to have dumb ideas.

In the Netherlands we each year have a release of what we call 'shame names', and it's parents not thinking, or intentionally being funny, about the combination of first and last names.
Jack Pot
Anne Oy
Lee Way
Will Power
There was a boy at my high school named Jim Class. And I have a distant cousin named Jack Frost.

As I mentioned in this thread the name I find weird is Jarvis and I don't know why someone would name somebody Jarvis because that name although it sounds really neat it just feels odd to me and I see if you call your son Jarvis you could nickname him Jarvee. But what about odd names like Vision and Knox because those sound weird? Noble is real because the guy who played CD on Walker Texas Ranger was named Noble Willingham and that was the first time I had ever seen Noble as a name. But I also have noticed Emmett becoming a popular name and even spelled Emmet is now popular. Probably due to The Lego Movie I suppose

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter