Stupid names for a child

Some people come up with crazy names for their kids. I work in a hospital and I hate having to figure out how to pronounce names to call in the waiting room. I usually scope out the room and look for someone that age, walk over and ask to check their name band vs yelling out a butchered attempt of their name.

I am also not a fan of King, Sir, Princess, Charisma. I hate having to go get a 4 year old kid and saying “King, I’m bringing you over for your Xray”

Like I can never figure out why they spell Janet J'Net for girls and I think this spelling became popular due to J'Net Dubois from the TV sitcom Good Times and just like they did to the name Janet they do the same with Darcy by spelling it D'Arcy too and it shocks me that they spell names like this now. Another thing I find odd about names today that they have made weird spellings of names and I find it very odd. Like instead of the name Jeremy they spell Jeremy as Jeromy and they spell Jacob as Jakob and I have never understood this because I remember when names had simple spellings and were easy to pronounce. But I think this trend will last for years to come
D'Arcy means Of Arcy in french and came well before Darcy in English. Jacob and Jakob are different based on the language origins, same with Eric, Erik and Erick. All three are traditional depending on the language or origin.

My oldest son is named Gus, named after my grandfather and great-grandfather. Hadn't heard of any kids named Gus in a long time, until my son got to kindergarten and there was another one.
My wife and I decided on naming rules very quickly, it had to be easily pronounceable and gender indicative.

We English speakers got names in the Bible like Peter, Paul and Mary.

In their original texts and language spoken by Jesus, they are different.

Our world is getting smaller. Names will sound like the area they are from.

In my case "John" was a stupid name for a child, because, I was an adult before I realized my name wasn't Hey. As in; Hey, cut the grass; Hey, clean your room; Hey, do the dishes, etc.

Really? Traditional names like that are stupid? My father was a William, I have a nephew Will and know a 1 year old named Wally. Sorry, disagree.

My biggest issues with William isn't that it is pretentious. It is like you just posted. You never know what to call the person. So many different names are used. Just think of the problems you are going to have when you book an airline ticket under Bill *** and your passport says William *** You are eventually going to run into some border control agent that makes a big deal out of that.

My biggest issues with William isn't that it is pretentious. It is like you just posted. You never know what to call the person. So many different names are used. Just think of the problems you are going to have when you book an airline ticket under Bill *** and your passport says William *** You are eventually going to run into some border control agent that makes a big deal out of that.
OK, the thread title is 'stupid' names. I named my oldest DD Margaret and she goes by Maggie, so I guess that is stupid too. She has never had an issue with airline tickets or border agents. DH is James and goes by Jim, again never an issue and he's 68 years old.

OK, the thread title is 'stupid' names. I named my oldest DD Margaret and she goes by Maggie, so I guess that is stupid too. She has never had an issue with airline tickets or border agents. DH is James and goes by Jim, again never an issue and he's 68 years old.

Why on earth do they not go by their names? Margaret and James?

Like instead of the name Jeremy they spell Jeremy as Jeromy and they spell Jacob as Jakob and I have never understood this because I remember when names had simple spellings and were easy to pronounce.
My aunt named her son Brien because that's how she thought it was spelled.

I'd be interested in hearing from adults who have names that others have declared "stupid." Like, when Alucard grows up, will he(?) think it's a stupid name? (FWIW, I think it's kind of cool.)

I don't think I realized until this moment that my siblings and I ALL have gender neutral names. I don't think that was my parents' intent. I think they thought they were giving the boys "boy names" and the girls "girl names." And I do think you'd probably guess right on most of us---even though our names are gender neutral, in the time and place in which we were born, they are more common for one sex than for the other. But for at least one of us I'd put your odds of guessing right at 80-20, or maybe even 70-30.

I don't think any of our names are stupid.

There is a funny(maybe tragic) group on FB - called “that name‘s a tragdiegh”. Some doozy names out there like: Krxstxl -Krystal! Can you imagine that poor kid trying for a job? Some day these adorable kids will be 30yrs old with misspelled names and the courts will love all the people applying for legal name changes

Same here…..
I’m a Sandra that goes by Sandy
DD is a Kaitlyn that goes by Katie
Never ever ever ever an issue :sad2:

Loki
Met one when volunteering at my kid's Book Fair this month. Poor kid. ☹️
Dh and I were going at the drive thru window and the cashier had the name Loki. Dh asked if that was his real name. It was but his real name was like 10 letters with Loki as the start. He was from Haiti and said he shortened it so people could pronounce it. As a Marvel and Loki fan, I thought it was kind of cool. Wouldn’t name my kid that but it fit a plate teen/early 20 year old male.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter