• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stupid Facebook Posts

jdb in AZ

It could end up curdled
A friend keeps posting on Facebook about missing children, and the kids have usually already been found. If she'd just click on the link before she shares it, she'd see there's no reason to post. She did it earlier this week and I politely pointed out that the kiddo had been found, and that the information was on the link she had posted. Someone with half a brain would've figured out that maybe she should read her own link, but no, she just did it again, and this time her link clearly said that the baby had been found in December. If she does it again, three strikes and she gets unfriended. Any other solutions?

A friend keeps posting on Facebook about missing children, and the kids have usually already been found. If she'd just click on the link before she shares it, she'd see there's no reason to post. She did it earlier this week and I politely pointed out that the kiddo had been found, and that the information was on the link she had posted. Someone with half a brain would've figured out that maybe she should read her own link, but no, she just did it again, and this time her link clearly said that the baby had been found in December. If she does it again, three strikes and she gets unfriended. Any other solutions?
I would just scroll on by and not bother to click on those types of posts.

If your friend otherwise provides posts you enjoy reading then I agree with Disneylover99, just scroll on by. However, if the friend doesn’t post anything you enjoy them I’d be quick to hide their posts.

I personally don’t unfriend people much, I just hide their posts (unfollow). That way I can still check out their page whenever I want and can reach out to them through messenger when needed.

I’m convinced half the people I know don’t read what they post or repost.

Anyway you don’t have unfriend them to stop seeing those particular posts. Just go up to the little “hamburger,” (three dots) in the upper right hand corner of the post and click on it. It will give you a drop down menu of options. Click on “hide all from ‘name of where post originated’” and you won’t see them anymore.

I have a couple friends that do this. Missing kids and missing pets. The pets are sometimes from towns thousands of miles away - I want to reply, "I doubt anyone has seen this missing kitty from California here in Kentucky!!!"

We have the same friends. I have a couple of people that only 'share' posts. Missing people, pets, etc. Most have been found, are on the other side of the country, or went missing years ago. And people that share stuff that's so not true and has obviously been photoshopped.

Unfollow. She won’t stop. My mil is like this shares everything she sees. Sorry but if the kid is missing in Brazil, chances of the kid being in New York are very very low. So I unfollow rather then make myself crazy.

I have a couple friends that do this. Missing kids and missing pets. The pets are sometimes from towns thousands of miles away - I want to reply, "I doubt anyone has seen this missing kitty from California here in Kentucky!!!"

I have one like that, too. And she does read enough to know when they've been found, as she'll post the link and write "Found" in the post. What's the point of posting it then?

If you don't like this person or want to be friends with them sure unfriend them. But a very easy simple solution..just unfollow them. You won't see their posts--voila problem solved.

Personally I share, but then again if a friend or family member was missing I would want word to get out so they will be found

Personally I share, but then again if a friend or family member was missing I would want word to get out so they will be found

That's fine, except when the kid was found a month ago. Why waste people's time when the crisis has been solved.

BTW, I put the "friend" in the unfollow department along with a bro-in-law who won't stop posting political garbage.

My mother does this...repost missings kids, internet hoaxes and fake news (usually political). Its constant. I reply to each and every one that the story is false and include a link to snopes where it is debunked. Her answer to this to me is " how am I supposed to know? I just see Marianne posted it so I shared it." To which I repeatedly beg her to Google or check Snopes but apparently that is far too difficult. Can't unfriend my mother so what am I supposed to do

My mother does this...repost missings kids, internet hoaxes and fake news (usually political). Its constant. I reply to each and every one that the story is false and include a link to snopes where it is debunked. Her answer to this to me is " how am I supposed to know? I just see Marianne posted it so I shared it." To which I repeatedly beg her to Google or check Snopes but apparently that is far too difficult. Can't unfriend my mother so what am I supposed to do

My sister thinks Snopes has a liberal bias so she won't believe anything Snopes tries to debunk. :rolleyes1

I hate that too.
I will get on my soap box though about missing children and adults posts.
Be suspicious of any of those authentic looking missing children and adult posts, where the phone number is anything but 9-1-1 or the Police Department. Never call anyone but authorities if you spot a missing person,......or an allegedly missing person.
Sadly, in our world there are too many people who try and work the system. I deal with this regularly when people want us to report their loved one as missing on the news. We will ONLY do it if the police make the request, NOT the family. About 20 years ago we had a guy calling asking us to help him find his "cousin". He called all the TV stations. Fortunately, we call checked. It wasn't his "cousin", is was a guy the gang this guy was in was trying to find to kill.
And now days, you never know. It may very well be mom asking you to report their child missing, but mom may be a non-custodial parent with no visitation rights.,
And in the case of adults, unless they are at risk, as the police put it...."adults have a right to cut off their family"

I see these and read the comments for entertainment. “Shared” makes me roll my eyes every time because likely it’s a hoax or case closed and could easily be fact checked

My sister thinks Snopes has a liberal bias so she won't believe anything Snopes tries to debunk. :rolleyes1
They are and have been proven to announce false claims on, well false false claims? I don't know how to describe it verbally, LOL. Thus I don't look at any political debunking from Snopes for sure, but non-political is fine.

People on Facebook just share and share and share. They don't read anything they post. Political on both sides, missing kids, missing pets, feel good stories that everyone gushes over the wonderful teacher that no teacher ever did what was said, news stories, and defamation stories on people.

Had someone post a story about some guy that it claimed he was the mastermind of some huge international dog fighting ring. Had his picture and his name. Who the heck is this guy? Well, I recognized him. The name did actually match the picture, but he was no mastermind of some huge international dog fighting ring. No one under normal circumstances would know who this guy was.

I just happen to be enjoying paramotor videos for a while on Youtube and was researching getting one myself. I was looking a lot at paramotor flying training and this guy, Dell Schanze, a paramotor trainer very well known and warned of in the paramotor flying community. His training is atrocious putting pilots into the air with no ground training, many have been hurt, and even a student was killed because of his training. Also he was arrested and charged with a video of his chasing and kicking an owl while flying his paramotor.

All that, but the guy definitely is not the mastermind of a huge international dog fighting ring.

It’s an epidemic! Seriously! I had to hide my aunt because that is literally all she posts, and they’re always kids that have been found, and are in states across the country. My husband’s aunt does the same thing. I’m sure they think they’re being helpful. I politely pointed out once that if they just read the comments they’d see that the children were found safely (4 years ago) but it hasn’t made a difference. I love the “hide” option.

One more thing: the only other thing my aunt posts over and over is that schools should still teach cursive. I teach 4th grade in the town we both live in. I’ve told her (again, politely) that we DO teach cursive and never stopped, but she still posts about it on a daily basis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter