Studio vs 1 & 2BR (Opinion)

Just about all the time, the two of us get a one bedroom. When we go in December for a quick trip, we like to book an OKW studio for the two real beds for two or three nights. But I'm not doing any other studios because we are just not comfortable sharing a queen bed. And neither one of us deserves the sleeper sofa. When our son joins us, he gets the sleeper sofa. Studios really are not that comfortable for more than two or possibly three people. Even three may be too many. Allowing five in a studio (and then some guests push that with a sixth child under the age of three) was one of the biggest mistakes DVC made. No other timeshare company allows five in a studio. Most of the time it is only two.

Well, I guess I have been here a while because I knew that Deb & Bill would say they get a one-bedroom. Many years ago I used some of your reasons to convince my DH why we did too! Haha! Also agree about OKW. Last year we did 2 nights in a studio at OKW and 8 in a 1 bdrm at BWV. My son and his girlfriend joined us in the one-bedroom and we really didn't like sharing a bath, plus they had different hours than we did. Next time they join us we will get a 2 bedroom.

We used to get studios all the time, as our family grew we moved into a 1BR and it was great, recently we started getting 2BRs and they are even better, its totally worth the points

Studios have worked fine for us with two adults and one preschooler. Our stays are usually 4-5 nights and we enjoy trying the different dining options. So a kitchen would be used rarely, if at all. Same for the W/D.

With that said, not all DVC studios are equal. The square footage varies by resort. Two bathrooms like at poly and VGF make a difference, as does a dedicated table with chairs. At BCV and BWV, the table is built in to the Murphy bed unit. If the bed is down, the table is gone.
We would be fine for a week at the poly; it starts feeling tight for us after a few nights in one of the smaller studios. Leaving the couch intact and unpacking and repacking the Murphy bed for midday break and at night seems to help.

It’s annoying to have studios sleep 5, then have 1BRs cost double the points and sleep 4. While that may push some families into a more expensive 2BR, it will keep other families in a studio who might have upgraded to a 1BR.

In HHI we always get a one bedroom for ourselves, a retired couple. At WDW, we do studios sometimes, but I much prefer the one bedrooms because DH prefers TV, and I prefer to read. If it’s a studio stay, we make do.

We too prefer a 1BR as I like to do laundry and DH always needs to work so he can go in bedroom to work in privacy. It is hard to stomach the point cost being so much higher. But we bought DVC for the condo style accommodations so we knew going in.

We have stayed in studios and 1 BR and really enjoy the 1 BR. Besides the 2 bathrooms, the in room laundry in very nice. This fall we wil have a 2 BR for the first time. Could be a big mistake if we really enjoy it. We have found, when we go for a week, even if it is only 2 of us, we enjoy the space of a 1 BR over a studio.

It depends. We're a family of 5. I can do a couple of days in a studio. We've done a studio a couple of times when we were just staying there for a night or two before a cruise. Last year we did a split stay between a Polynesian studio and a one bedroom at BCV. We all wanted to try the Polynesian since we had never stayed there before.

Once the kids are out of the house I think we'll go back to studios.

We're pretty hooked on one bedrooms. We like having a separate sleeping area from DD, the larger kitchen, and the washer and dryer. (I like to throw in a load of laundry in the evening without having to leave the room.) Although our family of 3 can easily fit in a studio, we will probably stick with 1BRs except for very short stays.

For our 2020 trip, we're going to split between an offsite Hilton property using my points from work travel and a DVC one bedroom. We could probably get the whole 10 or 11 nights in a studio with points, but we really want those 5-6 nights in a one bedroom to spread out and relax.

I don’t see room size vs vacation length as a potential trade off.

For me the logic goes:
1) how much time do I have? This is where I normally have the least flexibility because of work and other commitments. Time is precious.

2) How much can I afford? If it’s not much I will just stay home, and save up.

3) where to stay? If I was going for a longer time, I’d want a bigger room. I’d be more willing to stay in a smaller room for a short stay.

I normally go to Disney for a week. Sometimes with kids & grandkids, sometimes just with DW. We have been doing 2br when with family. For just me and DW, we have been doing studios, but I recently decided not to go smaller than 1 bed any more. We are starting to appreciate “no park” trips, spending more time at resort.

I don’t see room size vs vacation length as a potential trade off.

Larger accomodations at WDW generally cost more than double than studios. If you have a certain budget (dollars or DVC points), you can use those to cover double the amount of time

We love having the living room and will only stay in a studio if it's for a single night. One solution to the dilemma you mention is to get more points, then you can stay in the larger unit for longer :woohoo:

Given that 1 & 2BR options are usually more than double the amount of points than a studio, do people find the size difference to be worth half the vacation time? I understand that this is going to be very personal based on family size and age, but I'm looking to hear different opinions.
For a longer stay, the 1Br cannot be beat. Flexibility to do laundry, cook simple meals (even oven based chicken fingers, frozen pizza, etc), etc. Also really depends on family size. Wife and I...typically just a studio, regardless of our other needs, we also pack and plan as needed. More than 2 people, I vote the 1Br for the aforementioned factors + space!

As our son has gotten older and we go to bed and get up at more similar times we are able to tolerate Studios more. When my son was little (less than 7), we would be stuck sitting in the dark for hours because my son had to be in bed early. When he was little we much preferred being able to be awake in another room while he slept or napped.

With a family of four, if the decision came down to studio for 8 nights or 1/2 BR for 4 nights, which would you choose?
I think it comes down to a lot of factors. Being from Canada as well, I'm lucky to get to Disney once a year (possibly twice on a really good year) so I would always take 8 nights in a studio over 4 in a 1 bedroom. I'm sure one of the other factors it comes down to could be money. We just bought DVC last year and the idea of spending my vacation in a Deluxe resort is so exciting. But we can't buy more points right now so using what we have on a studio for 8 nights makes more sense than 1 trip from Ottawa for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom. I'm sure it comes down to how you vacation as well. Someone previously posted that if you are constantly at the parks and would not want to cook on vacation, then really the studios could be just fine. They would be for me, but then I had 5 adult women in a regular room at Caribbean Beach for 8 nights and had a great time. Would like to try a 1 or 2 bedroom sometime in the future but no rush, but then again I would love to try a CCV cabin as well. Someday....

I think it comes down to a lot of factors. Being from Canada as well, I'm lucky to get to Disney once a year (possibly twice on a really good year) so I would always take 8 nights in a studio over 4 in a 1 bedroom. I'm sure one of the other factors it comes down to could be money. We just bought DVC last year and the idea of spending my vacation in a Deluxe resort is so exciting. But we can't buy more points right now so using what we have on a studio for 8 nights makes more sense than 1 trip from Ottawa for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom. I'm sure it comes down to how you vacation as well. Someone previously posted that if you are constantly at the parks and would not want to cook on vacation, then really the studios could be just fine. They would be for me, but then I had 5 adult women in a regular room at Caribbean Beach for 8 nights and had a great time. Would like to try a 1 or 2 bedroom sometime in the future but no rush, but then again I would love to try a CCV cabin as well. Someday....
Go Sens

We always stay in a 2BR. It's worth the extra points to us. Two bathrooms are an absolute necessity with two girls (one a teen and one almost a teen). I love having the kitchen and laundry. I don't cook, but we do eat breakfast in the room. The fridge is great for holding pool snacks (fruit, cheese, etc.). We pack in carry on bags and do laundry too. I throw a load in when we return to the room and put it in the dryer before bed.

Different for everyone. Our best friends that we travel with do a studio that sleeps 5 with their 3 grown up size children and they love that. We like a 1BR. My husband is a bed hog, so I like a king bed! :rotfl:

But we also like having a separate space for us vs our 2 girls. Now that they are bigger (7/11), it doesn't matter as much. But we like being able to put them to bed and not have to immediately put ourselves to bed and/or text to have a conversations about the next day's plans from next to each other in bed so we don't keep them awake!

I also REALLY like having the washer/dryer. We usually go for 10 days. I pack for at most half that and do laundry once or twice while we are there (I like taking home clean clothes more than I dislike doing laundry! Throw in a load on the way to bed. Put it in the dryer on the way out the door the next morning. No sweat.

Plus vacation time is limited for us right now, so we don't get any benefit from using fewer points to try to get more days.

And bathroom space is always a plus. (My oldest is spoiled and didn't register that "normal" hotels don't have 2 bathrooms until she was like 8!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter