Strollers in Line Due to Broken Tibia

Momto8

Proud Grandmother to 19 Grandchildren!
My daughter and her family are going to Disney the end of April for cheerleading but plan on extending their stay to spend a few days in the parks. Last week her 5 year old broke her tibia jumping on their trampoline. Her older sisters heard a pop and my daughter took her to the orthopedic a few days after visiting the urgent care (who said it wasn't broken) because she couldn't walk on it due to the pain. X-rays showed a broken tibia bone right at the growth plate. She is in a full cast and cannot put any pressure on it, so no walking cast.

Because of her age and size, the insurance company will not pay for a pediatric wheelchair since they said she can use a stroller instead. They know that Disney will not allow strollers in line, only wheelchairs, but would like to know since she has a full cast on, will they be able to bring a stroller in line. I know they can carry her, but when you're standing in line for hours all day long, it can get very heavy and tiresome for her parents even though she is small for her age.

Has anyone had any recent experience with this and did Disney allow them to bring a stroller in the line queue because of a medical situation like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can go to Guest Services and explain the situation. A couple years ago I had a broken arm and my mom has a bad back, my son was not able to walk yet, so they gave me a red tag for my stroller so I could take it through the lines since I could not carry my son.

That's good to know. I will tell them to go to guest services.

Thank you! :)

Correct. Ask for a "stroller as wheelchair" tag. A lot of kids with special needs use these. They'll let you take it right to the end of the line. The tags are good for the length of stay.

EDITED to remove inaccurate info based on unique personal experience!

Last edited:

Correct. Ask for a "stroller as wheelchair" tag. A lot of kids with special needs use these. They'll let you walk up right to the end of the line. And can be brought onto most rides as well if she cannot transfer. The tags are good for the length of stay.
They still don't know if there are any hairline fractures going up the tibia since it's too early to see that. I told her to ask for the tag.

They still don't know if there are any hairline fractures going up the tibia since it's too early to see that. I told her to ask for the tag.

Please tell your daughter and grandaughter I wish her a speedy and uneventful recovery, and a lot of fun at WDW!

We just did this a couple weeks ago for a 4 year old recovering from a broken femur and it was easy! Guest services quickly got us a handicap tag for his stroller so he could stay seated in lines.
That's good to know!

Thanks! :)

Correct. Ask for a "stroller as wheelchair" tag. A lot of kids with special needs use these. They'll let you take it right to the end of the line. And can be brought onto most rides as well if she cannot transfer. The tags are good for the length of stay.
What rides let kids stay in strollers? I can't think of a single one? I know there are wheelchair accessible vehicles, but they wouldn't be designed for strollers.

What rides let kids stay in strollers? I can't think of a single one? I know there are wheelchair accessible vehicles, but they wouldn't be designed for strollers.
I agree. There will not be any rides at WDW that a child will be allowed to stay in a stroller to ride an attraction. Possibly during shows like Mickey’s Philharmagic but no rides. Child would need to be transferred to an attraction vehicle.

The stroller-as-wheelchair tag will allow the stroller into all queues and also into buildings that typically do not allow strollers. You may still be requested to park it outside at restaurants, that seems to depend on the situation at the time you arrive. Don't expect to be allowed to take the stroller ON any ride vehicles, even those with a wheelchair accessible vehicle; the child will need to transfer but you can take the stroller right up to the ride vehicle for boarding if needed. You can use HA seating at shows, usually at the back of the theater -- typically there is 1 permanent seat next to an opening for the wheelchair, with the rest of the party directed to sit in the row directly in front. But be aware the child is likely to be too low in the stroller to see from that position and will end up on someone's lap anyway. Also the stroller will need to be folded for bus transportation.

The stroller-as-wheelchair tag will allow the stroller into all queues and also into buildings that typically do not allow strollers. You may still be requested to park it outside at restaurants, that seems to depend on the situation at the time you arrive. Don't expect to be allowed to take the stroller ON any ride vehicles, even those with a wheelchair accessible vehicle; the child will need to transfer but you can take the stroller right up to the ride vehicle for boarding if needed. You can use HA seating at shows, usually at the back of the theater -- typically there is 1 permanent seat next to an opening for the wheelchair, with the rest of the party directed to sit in the row directly in front. But be aware the child is likely to be too low in the stroller to see from that position and will end up on someone's lap anyway. Also the stroller will need to be folded for bus transportation.
Yes, I'm aware they will have to carry her once they are ready to board rides. We've used the wheelchair seats before when my daughter was riding a scooter, so I'm aware how all of that works. I know you can't go on the rides with a stroller and they will carry her then. She is very small and very lightweight for her age. Our main concern was waiting in line for long periods of time. The full cast will add weight to her and that can get heavy of you're in long lines. I just wanted to make sure they would be able to take the stroller in line. Thank you for all the information. 😊

We were allowed to keep my kids in the double side by side for Living with the Land, Figment and Small World. All other rides I had to transfer them. It is probably up to the CM discretion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter