• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller Question - Gate Check at Airport

Thank you all! I gave my dd the information and advice from all of you (well not that she should just worry about it) lol

I will let you know what she decides. Thank you again.
Just to add to what others have said, we flew to europe with our stroller and gate checked it in a bag. After we landed, we used the carrier to get through the airport and dropped off our bags at the apartment. We put baby in the stroller and started exploring, but the stroller was soooo hard to push. Turns out a wheel had fallen off and we didn’t even notice! Back to the apartment and the wheel is safely tucked in the bag. If we didn’t have a bag, we would have spent our first day searching for (and buying) a new stroller. Use a bag!

Just to add to what others have said, we flew to europe with our stroller and gate checked it in a bag. After we landed, we used the carrier to get through the airport and dropped off our bags at the apartment. We put baby in the stroller and started exploring, but the stroller was soooo hard to push. Turns out a wheel had fallen off and we didn’t even notice! Back to the apartment and the wheel is safely tucked in the bag. If we didn’t have a bag, we would have spent our first day searching for (and buying) a new stroller. Use a bag!
Once when I was waiting for something (forget stroller or rollator) but Gate guy unloads about 15 items, and then holds up a wheel. Hope the family didn't pick up stroller and carry it through the airport without opening it.

For DH rollator, I use two strips of velcro to hold it close. Should work just as well for a stroller.

Thank you. I spoke to my dd and she is ordering the bag that is made for the stroller tomorrow.
She thought it was a great idea! We didnt even think of it.

Thank you for your story and glad you were able to fix!

The guys are staying home so it will be my mom, dd, dgs and I going so trying to make this as easy as possible for all of us, especially since Im the only planner lol

When ODD was a baby, she was a terrible sleeper. I knew she would nap in our home stroller so I insisted to DH we bring our UppaBaby Vista instead of renting. We went 2x when she was 1. The second time it came off the plane broken. We got it fixed.

I bought a stroller bag for the next time. Stroller bag info said if stroller still got broken in bag, the company would fix the damage for free. Well of course it broke again. I guess I didn't read the fine print. Apparently Amazon was not an approved seller and the "free repairs" were only if you bought the bag directly from UppaBaby.

We rented from there on out.

When ODD was a baby, she was a terrible sleeper. I knew she would nap in our home stroller so I insisted to DH we bring our UppaBaby Vista instead of renting. We went 2x when she was 1. The second time it came off the plane broken. We got it fixed.

I bought a stroller bag for the next time. Stroller bag info said if stroller still got broken in bag, the company would fix the damage for free. Well of course it broke again. I guess I didn't read the fine print. Apparently Amazon was not an approved seller and the "free repairs" were only if you bought the bag directly from UppaBaby.

We rented from there on out.
Thank you.
Going to look on UppaBaby now to see what the price difference is vs Amazon.
I appreciate your giving me this information.

Flying with my expensive stroller was biggest mistake. It was damaged, bent and wobbled .. never the same. After that I just traveled with a cheaper one if flying.

If there are extras attached to the stroller, then remove them and possibly pack them separately. I've never had a stroller "broken" but I've had plenty of "extras" get bent. For example, the canopy on my Joovy Caboose Ultralight is bent, because I left it on a stroller when I checked it once. From now on, I pack the canopy in my checked bag and go bare bones with the stroller. The frame itself is slowly getting bent out of shape, so it's harder to push than it used to be too, but it's spent a lot of time in the trunk of the car in addition to under airplanes. It's 8 years old.
The only issue I can see with a bag is that it does take extra time to put the stroller in the bag. I'd also make sure that the bag is labeled as a stroller, because they can't be more careful with it if they don't know what it is. They won't always be more careful anyway, but it's always nice for them to have the option.

These comments are wild. I have two strollers with 50+ flights on them. No problems, except lost on a domestic European airline once, delivered a couple days later. I wouldn't describe either as expensive or pristine, so maybe I'm not sensitive to some minor issues.

Thank you all.

Flight is on Wednesday. Have the steoller, bag and the Cares Harness. I dont know how my dd will put it in a bag going home since she will be on her own but I think we are good getting there 🤣🤣

Thank you all.

Flight is on Wednesday. Have the steoller, bag and the Cares Harness. I dont know how my dd will put it in a bag going home since she will be on her own but I think we are good getting there 🤣🤣
When I flew by myself with my first DS I was struggling a little to get him, me, the bagged stroller, and the diaper bag over to the gangway. A lovely gentleman helped me carry the stroller bag and dropped it off and then even ended up sitting in the same row as us so he helped me get the stroller back up the gangway at home too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter