Stroller for older child with autism

lucigo

DIS Veteran
I know this has been discussed but I'm having a hard time finding the info. I have a friend with a 7-yo with autism. They end up carrying him sometimes and I would really like to help them get an off-road type stroller that they can take on our cruise, to disney, to church social type events, etc. Any suggestions on what type would work best? One with a big canopy where he could escape from the sensory would be great.

Thanks!

He may be past the weight limit, but I just bought a Keekaroo from Amazon.com. It holds up to 55 lbs, and is basically a larger umbrella stroller. It does have a canopy, and has a carrying handle. It has larger wheels, so it's great for rough terrain. I've already used it several times at Water Country and Busch Gardens. I wanted an umbrella type, so I could throw it in the trunk and keep it there.

A good place to look at what is available is Adaptive Mall.
Even if you don't buy from them, they are a good source of information and have measuring/sizing information.

In many cases insurance will pay for a stroller for a child with autism. Even if the child can walk, a stroller can be a safety factor. Coverage in medical insurance policies vary (it would usually be under Durable Medical Equipment) and you would need a doctor's order. If someone has a flexible health savings account at work, that may be a covered item for the fund.

A good place to look at what is available is Adaptive Mall.
Even if you don't buy from them, they are a good source of information and have measuring/sizing information.

In many cases insurance will pay for a stroller for a child with autism. Even if the child can walk, a stroller can be a safety factor. Coverage in medical insurance policies vary (it would usually be under Durable Medical Equipment) and you would need a doctor's order. If someone has a flexible health savings account at work, that may be a covered item for the fund.

Thanks I will send her the link. I'm not sure if their ins. will cover it, I know ours won't, retired military don't get anything like that, but its a good place to start, and I think there are some places out there that have money available to help with things like that.:thumbsup2

He may be past the weight limit, but I just bought a Keekaroo from Amazon.com. It holds up to 55 lbs, and is basically a larger umbrella stroller. It does have a canopy, and has a carrying handle. It has larger wheels, so it's great for rough terrain. I've already used it several times at Water Country and Busch Gardens. I wanted an umbrella type, so I could throw it in the trunk and keep it there.

I think its probably not big enough, it looks very similar to the one I have (baby planet).

I bought a MacLaren Techno XLR for my last WDW trip for my dd who is 6 and weighs about 43 lbs. It's got a 70 or 75 lb weight limit, isn't that heavy when folded up and reclines. She loved it because the hood can be unzipped so it makes a canopy she was able to pull down and almost completely cover herself. Hope that helps.

We have a Maclaren Major that goes up to 110 pounds. You can sometimes find them on Ebay. There is an optional sunshade you can get. Convaid also makes some great special needs strollers and we have had an easier time getting insurance to cover the Convaid than the Maclaren so it may be worth looking into. Once you get above 50lbs you really have to look at the more specialized strollers/wheelchairs.

Good luck

I bought a MacLaren Techno XLR for my last WDW trip for my dd who is 6 and weighs about 43 lbs. It's got a 70 or 75 lb weight limit, isn't that heavy when folded up and reclines. She loved it because the hood can be unzipped so it makes a canopy she was able to pull down and almost completely cover herself. Hope that helps.

Sounds like what they need! I don't know how much he weighs now but don't think its that much. Thanks :)

We have a Maclaren Major that goes up to 110 pounds. You can sometimes find them on Ebay. There is an optional sunshade you can get. Convaid also makes some great special needs strollers and we have had an easier time getting insurance to cover the Convaid than the Maclaren so it may be worth looking into. Once you get above 50lbs you really have to look at the more specialized strollers/wheelchairs.

Good luck

They are looking into this, hoping to get some funding to help since they are so expensive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter