Stroller for autistic 7 year old

mlwear

DIS Veteran
Several have mentioned that they use a stroller for autistic children even those that are a little older. The stroller can act as a wheelchair, but also gives the autistic child a confined space that limits contact with crowds.

I know many support this. Do you really think my 7 y.o. is appropriate for a stroller? He is a high energy mobile child, but gets worn out (I guess, maybe he is over stimulated) after a couple hours of walking and asks to be carried. He weighs around 60 pounds. DH has to carry him. I can hold him for a minute or two but can't really carry him.

Would I get a double stroller? Just reading the thread about prices it sounds like the singles must be small (up to 9 mos.). I am surprised that stroller rental is so expensive.

Experiences, advice please.

I can't respond to the autism questions but my 7 year old rides in a single stroller o.k. - he is a bit cramped. He is an average size 7 year old (no disabilities). The rental strollers are large (whether single or double) but he might be more comfortable in a double. It isn't longer than a single but it is possible to sit turned sideways a bit more. Our 7 yr old used the stroller just for the long distances - it certainly saved a lot of wear and tear on him as the vacation went on.

I suppose it is always possible to try one and see how it works. I would guess they would let you pay more and upgrade to a double if the single is too small but you could ask.

DS is 9 and is autistic. Last time we were at WDW was August last year (he was 8) and had a stroller. We did try to do without it for the first day, but he really wanted one. He is very active and walks lots at home, but Florida is so hot and he likes his own space.
He fit into a single stroller without any problems last year, although the strollers at MGM seemed a little small for him. I think they have replaced the strollers at MGM now, although not sure what type they now have.
My DS would want to be carried if we didn't get him a stroller. He is too big to be carried and it is so much easier with a stroller.
I'm sure Disney would let your DS try the stroller for size.
:wave2:

I used a stroller for both my kids until they were about 8 1/2 or 9. My daughter can still fit in one but she is doing much better with crowds so it is not needed anymore. I think that it helped alot when they were younger. I think it is important to do whatever is best for your child because each child is so differant in the area of over stimualation issues. For me it was easier to just have them in a stroller because chasing two kids with issues was a task in itself.
Jenjen

My 6 yr old ds is autistic and we rented a double stroller for him and my 3 yr old ds. My 6 yr old is very tall for his age, and he was comfortable in the rental stroller. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter