Stroller for almost 8-year-old??

I feel for you, OP! When we went in September, DD was 7.5 and DS was not quite 2. So I sprung for the double, knowing it would mean less whining. As someone who gets anxious in crowds, I was happy to have both of them snug and secure when we were dealing with hoards of people waiting for security, after fireworks, etc. Not to mention the storage space with that double basket! GLORIOUS.

However, I will say DD walked more than I expected and did really well. We take afternoon breaks every day, so I think that definitely helped. DH and I also commented that we need to really cut down on stuff in our park bag because it was overkill. Since we take breaks, we could get whatever we needed back at the resort and didn't use half the stuff in our backpack.

SO ... I guess I'm saying if you take a stroller, I don't blame you. No judgement here! BUT if you don't want to deal with the hassle/expense, taking daily breaks will really help your child and also cut down on your storage needs! :)

All very good points in this thread. We did a stroller for our 6 and 7 year old and it was SO nice to have! Not only to carry all of our crap but when the park got crowded (like, CRUSHING CROWDED) I had so much more peace of mind knowing my kids were with me, safe in a stroller than fear I might lose one of them in the crowds (#everyparentsworstnightmare)

:scared::scared:

We had decided to not do a stroller for our upcoming DL trip, but now after reading this thread we might have to change our minds about it.

We recently took went with our 5 year old who was not in a stroller. One unexpected benefit was that he didn't snack as much! When he was younger and sat in the stroller, he constantly wanted a snack, drink, etc. This time, since he was busy walking and looking around, he didn't think of it. He ended up eating more during meals or official snack breaks, but it meant I didn't need to have as many random little snacks packed for him.

Strollers are great just because of the sheer volume of stuff you can put in them- changes of clothes, hats, jackets, sunscreen, watershoes for water rides (and no need for a locker when riding water rides), drinks, snacks, popcorn containers, souvenirs, and so on, without having to try to stuff everything in a heavy backpack. I confess that when our youngest kid was around 10 we would still rent a double stroller mostly for putting stuff in it; she would mostly walk but once in a while after a long day take a ride in it. Now it’s everything stuffed in a backpack, but I miss the convenience of a stroller. And in many years of using one nothing ever got stolen.

Once the kids are say 6, I think you find that you don't really need all that stuff. Plus, they can carry a little themselves (like their own water and snacks).
We went with two 3 year olds, we did have a stroller and a change of clothes, but the only time we needed a change of clothes was when DD injured herself and bled on her shirt. Disney CMs went and got her another shirt for free while the medics tended to her.
We didn't need water shoes because we got them quick dry sandals that were also good for their feet. Souvenirs, we waited until the end of the day or had it sent back to the resort.

An over abundance of strollers in the parks affects everyone; it makes it feel more crowded. More strollers means that it becomes tougher for everyone to navigate. Bringing a double stroller primarily to lug stuff and for an older child to sit down only occasionally may be tempting. But, it doesn’t help the over crowded feel in the parks.

An over abundance of strollers in the parks affects everyone; it makes it feel more crowded. More strollers means that it becomes tougher for everyone to navigate. Bringing a double stroller primarily to lug stuff and for an older child to sit down only occasionally may be tempting. But, it doesn’t help the over crowded feel in the parks.

Nor does it hurt anything.

We recently took went with our 5 year old who was not in a stroller. One unexpected benefit was that he didn't snack as much! When he was younger and sat in the stroller, he constantly wanted a snack, drink, etc. This time, since he was busy walking and looking around, he didn't think of it. He ended up eating more during meals or official snack breaks, but it meant I didn't need to have as many random little snacks packed for him.

In other words, he wasn't bored!!! Can't imagine being old enough to enjoy Disney, but all I can see are people's legs all day! o_O

For us, it's a no. The last time we used a stroller, my younger one had just turned 4 and my older one was 6. I really got it more for the 4 year old, but they barely used it. By the next trip, where the older one was 7 and the younger one was an older 4 yr old (about a month and half from her 5th bday), we went stroller free...and it was WONDERFUL! We always brought a backpack and because we keep medicine and camera gear in it, so I never relied on my stroller to store it all... so there was no sadness over loss of storage space by being sans stroller.

Ultimately, you know what's best for you and your family and every kid is different. For us, it was liberating to be stroller free. We took a few extra sit breaks, but nothing major since you spend a lot of time resting while in line or in attractions, and the kids were still good for crack of dawn til end of park hours type touring. You could even try it without and do a last minute rental if you find you really need it.

I also have an 8 year old. If I just had her, I would not bring a stroller. I have two younger kids (4, and 1) and we bring a double stroller for them. With that being said, on occasion my 8 year old will sometimes switch places with my 4 year old and ride for a while. I hear you on the stroller holding all your stuff. I will be a little sad when my youngest no longer needs the stroller. It is convenient.

This thread has been thought provoking and helpful. We're going in April and I just started thinking about the stroller situation. Our kids are 12, 9, and 5...so no one has regularly used a stroller in a quite a while. That being said, we haven't done WDW WITHOUT a stroller since before we had kids. Every time we've gone someone actually did need one so we've always had one...the last time we were there we had a double bc we had a 3yo and a 7yo that would occasionally sit down. I'm not sure what we'll do this time...our trips are always pretty packed schedule-wise so that we can get all the things and places we want to eat in while we're there. There are a couple of days where we have late-ish dinner rsvs and then early b'fast rsvs bc that's just how it worked out...I'm thinking that having the stroller would be helpful bc there will undoubtedly be times where kids are legitimately tired...I don't remember how the MH's work while we're there but that factors in too...late nights or early mornings w tired kids. I really don't have a problem getting a stroller - if it makes the trip that I'm paying thousands of dollars for more enjoyable for my family I really couldn't care less what someone's opinion about it is or whether they think my kids are too old. BUT I'm sure my hubs will scoff at the idea bc I can guarantee you he hasn't even thought about it...so I guess at this point I'm trying to decide whether we should go with just doing the strollers at the park - that way we're not dragging it to and from the resort and we could ostensibly decide from day to day or throughout the day if we need it, or going with the strollers you have delivered to the resorts, which are always a lot cheaper if you know you're using it the whole time...

I’m in a similar situation. I have two, DD6 and DS1. I will have one for DS I’m just trying to decide between one stroller or two (I know most do double but we don’t own one and I’m not renting - besides I’ll have 3 adults so we can all trade off on pushing the stroller and singles are easier to push in crowds). Anyway, I’m on the fence because DD doesn’t use one now but on occasion on long days out she does get tired and wants to sit in her younger brothers stroller... and she will happily go through Kings dominion without one but that is a much smaller park and a shorter day.

Personally if you don’t plan to RD to close and take it slow it’s probably not needed for an 8 year old BUT if you RD to close and are going to do multiple long hard days then it may be needed. This becomes more about touring styles and every family has a personal preference regarding this. Good luck!

if it makes the trip that I'm paying thousands of dollars for more enjoyable for my family I really couldn't care less what someone's opinion about it is or whether they think my kids are too old.

PREACH!

so I guess at this point I'm trying to decide whether we should go with just doing the strollers at the park - that way we're not dragging it to and from the resort and we could ostensibly decide from day to day or throughout the day if we need it, or going with the strollers you have delivered to the resorts, which are always a lot cheaper if you know you're using it the whole time...

Third Option: BUY a decent stroller (need something durable for a bigger kid) for $100 or so. That's less than most rentals for a week. When you get back home, sell it! You'll definitely come out ahead. Also recently heard a pro tip on a podcast: If you don't know if you'll need the stroller, park it in stroller parking near the front of the park. You can always go back and grab it if you child gets tired, or just pick it up on your way out if they don't!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter