Stroller for 6 and 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't bring a stroller for my DD this past trip (she was almost six). She did very well! We physically can't push her anymore, at 51.5 inches and 55 pounds, it was just too much. She just didn't fit. But, I'm glad we made that choice. I was worried, but it turned out well.

We are going the end of August and I have been dealing with the same issue. To stroller or not to stroller? My kids will be almost 5 and 6, both very active, healthy, physically fit children.

But I like the convience the stroller brings:

1. Kids are contained in large crowds, like after fireworks when 13 billion people are heading for the exit.
2. For a nice stroll around WS for some adult cocktails
3. A place to store your junk, because I hate to carry a bag in the parks.
4. And if you bring your own, for the walk to the bus, or boat and then thru the resort.

I have been telling my kids all along that our next trip there will be no stroller to get them prepared but I am sure I will have one because it is easier. And like OP said I am on vacation and I want easy.

I like this response because it lists all the reasons I like a stroller.
My DH and I have agreed that we are going to try to get away with no stroller this trip. But I am not going to stress about it. If I get there and my kids want to sit in a stroller for whatever reason, I am going to get one. I don't care how much it costs and I don't care if they're just being lazy. I am on vacation and I am not fighting with my kids over it. My kids are good kids but they are spoiled. I think they will walk for a little while but they like being pushed around. It doesn't bother me.
Do what you want to do as far as the stroller goes. As far as the attacking parenting issues....To me it's like the "Wal-mart" parent. If I see a parent in Walmart getting on to their kid for acting like a jerk in the store, I mind my own business. I expect others to do the same for me. Mind their own business. If you don't like seeing my 9 and 6 year old being lazy in a stroller then don't look. :confused3:thumbsup2

My DD strolled pretty much the entire time at WDW *10/09 ~ she was 6* it was extremely hot and humid. She even strolled part time *evenings* during our recent trip to Disneyland Resort *late 11/10 - she was/is 7* she wouldn't use it in the morning but would after we returned in the late afternoon after our mid day break - her Disney stroller is a Mac Volo.

I would like someone to explain to me why kids now NEED a stroller when they never used to?
Seriously why in the last 5 yrs have 6-8 yr olds suddenly needed strollers?

If you went 20 yrs ago you never saw anything but preschoolers in one, 15 yrs ago you almost never saw a kid older than 4, 5 tops in a stroller,
10 yrs ago a few more 5 yr olds still very few older kids; 5 yrs ago strollers everywhere with old kids! why?

MK is still the same size mostly, EPCOT same size as when it opened, Studios same size, AK same size. It isn't physical kids have been walking long distances for hundreds of years.

I have really wondered this and can't come up with a legitimate reason why kids in the last less than 10 years now need strollers when they didn't in the past.
Kids haven't changed so it must be the parents? :confused3

Disney has had all 4 parks for better than 10 yrs so it isn't just an additional park.

I honestly would like to understand this because Disney was so much nicer without the massive amount of strollers.

Why not just allow people to do as they see fit for their child and be done with it? Why do you care what other people choose for their child?

I always think it is ridiculous that so many people say "My cut off limit for that is xxx years old". Every child is different, every situation is different.

You can jump up and down and yell "kids out of shape", "kids are lazy" etc. etc. all you want but I know my child. She was/is NOT lazy by any stretch. She has never been overweight. She has always be active. Always played sports and cheered and swims everyday all summer. But, we still felt the need to rent a stroller. It just worked for dd, us and our touring style of that trip.

And now dd is a beautiful 12 year old and she is the perfect size and weight. She still is a dancer, plays sports and is trying out for cheerleader soon. Still not lazy, still not over weight.

I really don't think that our renting that stroller for that one trip when she was 8 has had any long lasting negative effects on her. :rolleyes:

OP, just do what you feel is right for your child. One option is to wait until the need arises and then rent the stroller. If they don't get too tired, you won't have wasted your money.

When I took my 11 year old... She whined. "My feet hurt" "I'm tired" "It's Hot" "it's cold" "this line is too long". She is now 17 and she STILL whines "my feet hurt" "I'm hot" "it's cold" "this line is too long".

Back then when the whining started we left the park.... now when the whining starts we leave the park. And the biggest whinner of all... My husband! "It's Hot." "My feet hurt" "You're walking too fast."

At our last trip, my one year old whined because she was IN the stroller.

We are renting a double stroller for while we are at Disney. My girls will be 7, 3 and 1 months. The 7 year old has not ridden in anything since this past summer when we were leaving a music festival at 12, during the middle of hot Texas August heat. She rode in the back of a wagon while I had the baby in a carrier and the 3 year old in the stroller. Of course, the wagon and stroller were also loaded down with chairs, blankets, coolers, food and drinks.

I figure that at the end of the day, when we are heading back to our car, the 7 year old will be tired and wanting to get in the stroller. Someone can either hold or use a carrier for the baby. And I am sure that purchases and bags and such will also be shoved in the stroller.

If you think it would be best for your family, then rent the stroller. It's entirely possible that you might rent it the first day and decide it was a waste of money. Or you might decide that it ends up being well worth your money.

I will actually say kids have more stamina cause they play more actively more often and longer than most adults. I certainly couldn't play 3 soccer games in one day in July!! then come home and go swimming.

As far as Heat stroke, aren't you going to be there? They aren't alone, parents can make sure they are drinking and if you are walking and they are walking you just monitor them like you do yourself. so it is your judgment that is important.

I so agree with the bolded. My kids are always on the go and it amazes me how much stamina they have. I often wonder how many miles they run during soccer games especially the younger ones that don't yet understand positions.

As for heat stroke, they really need to be drinking water and non sugary drinks in the heat. The sugar can mess with the body and not be helpful with heat exhaustion, dehydration, or heat stroke. It is scary how fast that can happen.

So, here is my 2 cents.....

We frequent Disney annually and my kids will be 8 and just turning 6 for our August trip and I will be renting a stroller from Owners locker. (single only).
We rented a double one last trip in May and kids were 7 & 4.5 and I was sooooo glad we did. Don't get me wrong, they walked quite a bit, especially when the stroller was parked and we ventured off but it was very nice to have that stroller. We only used it for the parks and no where else.

It is a lot of walking and those little legs get tired. We like to "move quick" and having had that stroller is great for when were on the move.

My kids are no way lazy or even close to being overweight (in fact, my DD is underweight) so for me it has nothing to do with laziness. It is convenient or us and makes for a happy vacation.

I say " do it if it's right for your family". Plus, your on vacation.....who cares what others think. Enjoy it!:cheer2:

You asked what I would do? I would never rent a stroller for a 6 or 8 year old. The last time we used one, my son was 4. My kids have more energy than I do.

When we get tired, we rest at a show or have a snack. They don't whine about being tired because they are having too much fun. I'm usually ready to call it a day before they are.

If you want to rent one, then rent one. If you want the opinions of others, then listen to the opinions of others. Personally I don't think I ever noticed the ages of kids being pushed in strollers, but then I don't really pay much attention to what others are doing in the parks.

Curiosity.....that is pretty much what began this thread- I simply wanted to hear what others have done with their children.

I'm not actually sure what I'm going to do yet- won't know until then as it all depends on the situation that day.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

General statement: Just because it's not for your family doesnt mean it's "wrong". And it's not like the stroller is being used daily in a regular environment. It's vacation in a huge place. My kids will be 5 (4 days before trip) and 6 on our trip in May. I am thinking of getting a sit and stand stroller to bring with us. Not only for the kids to have a place to sit/rest if needed, but to also carry our larger camera/bag/video camera, etc. We may just try the first day with no stroller and see how it goes. I might not need it til the end of the week or not at all. We'll just have to see since it's our first trip. Bottom line, it's your decision, so do whatever you think is best for your family. :)

I'm seriously considering renting a double stroller for my 6 and 8 year old to use when exhausted to decrease the whining that I KNOW we will get- even if only for a larger park.

I guess the real issue is the whining. My kids will be able to walk the parks but the whining? I'm thinking probably not.

Let me get this straight? You want to enable them or more like passify them so you won't have to hear them whine? Good gracious. You are the parent. My Dd is 12 now, but she would have a fit if she were 6 or 8 and in a stroller.

She stopped doing stroller at 2, she would rather push it then ride in it. don't be running around like the Griswolds. And set down some rules: if they get tired they can ask if they can take a break.

One of my happiest Disney days ever was the first day in the park without a stroller. I always found that the stroller slowed us down. I thought it was a pain to not only find the stroller after each attraction but strap her in and out. I loved the freedom that not having the stroller allowed.

Ok, now to the OP. When my DD was 4, we bought a cheap umbrella stroller to take just in case. In the end, I think we used it one day and then found that she didn't need it. In all fairness, we are NOT a commando type family. We usually take some sort of afternoon break, but that is more for me than the kids ;). All of that to say why not try it without the stroller first and then if it doesn't work for you, then rent the stroller. I wouldn't spend the money until I had to.

One of my happiest Disney days ever was the first day in the park without a stroller. I always found that the stroller slowed us down. I thought it was a pain to not only find the stroller after each attraction but strap her in and out. I loved the freedom that not having the stroller allowed.

Ok, now to the OP. When my DD was 4, we bought a cheap umbrella stroller to take just in case. In the end, I think we used it one day and then found that she didn't need it. In all fairness, we are NOT a commando type family. We usually take some sort of afternoon break, but that is more for me than the kids ;). All of that to say why not try it without the stroller first and then if it doesn't work for you, then rent the stroller. I wouldn't spend the money until I had to.

Totally agree. It is so much easier to move around the parks without a stroller. You learn to pack light (which I love) and just go.

We take a single stroller for our kids ages 4 and 7. My little guy has flat feet and so they hurt after a few hours of walking. So my two take turns if they need a rest in Epcot. Most other parks, they walk with no problem. Though it is nice to have for the end of the day getting them out to the car.

Agree with this 100%.

I live close enough to Disneyland to go every day if I want. I go once a week with at least one of my kids. My absolute FAVORITE Disneyland visit in the past 7 years was the time I took my two kids (4 and 6) with NO STROLLER! That was last April. They are now almost 7 and almost 5. We've been doing DL for close to a year with no strollers and it's so liberating, I cannot even believe it! The bonus is that all the walking DOES tire them out, so when it's time to have a meal in a restaurant, they sit and BEHAVE. They don't squirm and jump around at the table because they don't have the energy anymore! And, they go to SLEEP at bedtime. ;)

To this day, I have heard not ONE "I'm tired" whine from my kids. When they've had enough, they simply say "I want to go home now" and we do. When we were at WDW last spring, our 5 year old walked the entire week. We took it at his pace, and only spent about 3-4 hours in the parks each day. The rest was resort time. And, it was the BEST vacation we've ever taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter