Stroller/Carrier advice needed for 3yo and 7 month old.

Which stroller combination should we bring for 3yo and 7 month old sons?

• Double stroller

• Two single strollers

• One single stroller and front carrier

• One single stroller and back carrier

Results are only viewable after voting.
M

Mamatipo

Help! We're going back to WDW -- this time with our new baby who will be 7 months old when we go (as well as my 3 year old DS). Need some stroller advice -- do we:
1) bring one double stroller (very bulky for buses),
2) two single strollers (always need two people to push)
3) or a single and carrier (could be tiresome carrying baby while older DS sleeps in carrier)? Please vote!

I will bring a carrier no matter what kind of strollers we bring. What kind of carrier would be best -- a front or back carrier? I have a Baby Bjorn, but hated to use it with my first DS. It hurt my back after a short time and DS just seemed too big for it when he was only a few months old. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

We went with a 4yr old and 9mon old. I took a single stroller, back pack and sling (for evenings). Worked great! I find double strollers make you wide as you walk down the street. Plus the baby has to be picked up when you get to your destination anyway, so having her on my back was one less thing to do!

We are taking our daughters (16 months and 3 years) to WDW in September. I just bought a side by side umbrella stroller (reclines and has canopy) for $50 at Target. I've tried it out and it seems like it will work for my girls but I did notice the weight limit is 35 lbs on each seat. (both of my girls are very tiny so I'm sure I will get some use out of it before the oldest reaches this weight.) I do have a graco duoglider but I did not want to take it since it is heavy and would be too big to fit in a rental car along with our luggage.

I definitely would bring a stroller for both children. I have the baby bjorn also but I could never stand carrying my daughter in it for more than an hour or so once she hit six months, especially if it is hot! I also have a backpack carrier but I hate it. I bothers me more than the Baby Bjorn so I'm just planning on packing the Bjorn in case the 16 month old gets fidgety in the lines.
Hope these comments are helpful.

For me (and my kiddies) the stroller requirements are that they recline (my kids are super about catching a nap in the stroller), they have a roomy basket underneath for all their (and my) stuff, and they have a canopy for shade. If you have a double stroller that meets those requirements, then that is what I recommend.

A thought on two strollers: as bulky as a double might be on the busses, it would probably be easier to manage than two strollers. The likely scenario will be you bringing both children and the diaper bag onto the bus while your husband manages the double stroller. You'll both have your hands full, but not as bad as if you or your husband are managing two strollers.

For a carrier, I highly recommend the hip hammock available at www.hiphammock.com The baby's or toddler's weight rests on your hip and doesn't pull on your back or shoulder. It should be great for standing in lines or when the baby demands to be carried.

For the carrier, I would chose one that goes in the front so that you don't have to take the baby out on rides if you don't want to.

Here are my thoughts on each option

1-- Yes a double is bulky, but I think really no worse than 2 strollers (unless you use 2 umbrellas, which I do not recommend, especially with baby) But, like you say, only one person would have to push and you could switch off.

2--If your older one likes to walk some of the time this might be an ok option, especially if you are staying on-site. If you plan on going back to the room for naps you may be able to get by in the am with taking one stroller, then when you head back take the second stroller. Might be a bit of a hassle taking 2 strollers on the bus though, also might take up as much space as 1 double in the car if you are driving or renting.

3--I would maybe take the carrier if you decide to do either 1 single stroller or 2 single strollers, for the reason listed under #2. I don't think I would rely on just one stroller though, if taking a single rider, at least take an umbrella also for the older one. It is especially nice if at the end of the day spending time in Downtown Disney or a long day at Epcot if you do not have to carry a child.

As far as which type carrier, I think a carrier that would fit in the bottom of the stroller when not in use would be nice. But, I think you should go with the one you are most comfortable with wearing and baby is most comfortable riding in. I have heard lots of good things about different types of slings, but haven't really used one myself.

I would bring the back pack carrier and one stroller. In the parks you could rent a stroller for the 3 year old when he gets tired if the 7 month old needs your stroller for a nap. That's what we're planning to do when we go in a few weeks with DS 3 and DD who will be 12 weeks. She's too small for the back pack right now or I would be bringing it. We have an Evenflo back pack carrier and DS loved it when we used it with him during the Millenium. (Now that was a looong day at the park :) ) When you're not in the parks, use the back pack for the 7 month old and the stroller for the 3 year old. My back pack carrier was very easy to slip off with the baby in it and I held him in the carrier while on busses ect. It even has a kickstand to sit it on the ground when you need to sit down and rest. By only bringing one stroller and the carrier, you'l have a much easier time with transportation and more room in the rental car.

I'm a double stroller fan, and I notice that's what has the most votes at this point. We use a long double stroller, the Graco DuoGlide. It's gotten us through two WDW trips with our children (girl now 5, boy 3) and innumerable trips to the mall, parades, local amusement park etc.

On DS first WDW trip, our scenario was just like Mamatipo's. DD had *just* turned 3, DS was a big hefty 6 month-old boy. Carrying him for long was not an option. ;) DD really needed the place to get off her feet at times too, and the big basket was great for all our schtuff.

My only problem with the long versions of double strollers, is the baby ends up in front and fools on their way to rush out of the parks at night don't see them way out there. People were always almost falling over him and a man literally jumped over him once. So if you can, avoid the mad rush, or have the other adult walk RIGHT next to the front of the stroller and do not budge. Or carry the baby out just at those times, it's better than having him crushed.

Happy travels, families. :)

FYI: On the newest model of the Graco Duoglider, they now recommend the younger child sit in the back. In fact that is the only seat that reclines all the way back. I definitely like having my youngest in the back.
When crowds get crazy it always seems as if strollers are invisible! I will definitely be careful when we go to WDW.

I too will be taking (what will be my 11month old and nearly 3 year old) in a few months. I would like to bring a double stroller too.....I need to buy one though. The Eddie Bauer one looks nice but could be bulky. I have not seen the Graco one...Is it bulky? I am glad it worked out for you, I will check out Babies R Us for it. My sister gave me a side by side one and I really find it is a pain. It is tough to get through doors. I will bring a Baby Bjorn just in case we need another option( if DD isn't to heavy)...if she is then it will be the backpack for my DH to carry!
Have Fun!!!
Jean:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

I have the Eddie Bauer double stroller (I think Cosco makes it). I call it "the Limo" because it is so nice and because it is so long.

It would be great for pushing around at Disney. It has a very cushy suspension and maneuvers pretty well. My girls are comfortable in it.

The pros and cons for this stroller are:

Very nice awnings that pull all the way over the seats for complete protection from the sun or air conditioning (in those cold WDW buildings).

The rear seat reclines completely (pro), but the front seat does not recline (con). Both seats have foot rests that raise up (pro).

The seats are well supported (pro) and seem very comfy (pro). The seats are also versatile in that the kids can ride both front-facing or facing each other (pro).

The basket underneath is huge (pro) but you cant get very bulky things under it well, like a standard size diaper bag (con).

The biggest con concerning this stroller is its size and weight. I'm not sure how it would do as a gate checked stroller due to its size and weight. It folds very easily, but it's not small when it's folded. It takes up the trunk of my car, and while it would push easily on and off the Monorail, it would be a struggle on the buses. Plus, it is heavy to lift. I can get it in and out of the trunk of my car, but I'm not sure I could carry it very far. If we did bring the Limo, we would very likely just drive from the hotel to WDW. That would just leave getting it onto the parking lot tram. Still, in spite of these cons, it would be excellent for touring the parks!

I have not decided yet whether we will bring our E.B. double or two singles. Either way, we will have our hands full, but with two toddlers 13 months apart, we have our hands full whatever we do. That won't stop us from coming to WDW!

We just came back from our trip in July. We have a 3 yr old and 7 month old also. We bought 2 lightweight single strollers that reclined with baskets and trays and cupholders. They worked great for the airport and you can bring them right to the gate. They were also great around the resort. We stayed at POR Riverside so a lot of walking just around there. The only downside was the buses and having to fold up 2 strollers everytime we got on a bus. We went with other family members so after a few days we left 1 stroller at the hotel and rented a double stroller at the park for the 2 older kids. That worked out great since we were 2 families with the same age kids.

Good Luck on your decision and enjoy your trip!!

Thanks for your replies! You've all given me lots to think about.

I too have the Graco duoglider and really like it, but it IS bulky and on the heavy side. It maneuvers well for being so big (I can push it with one hand) and has a lot of great features. The main thing I don't like about it -- which is an issue with just about every tandem stroller -- is that when the back seat is reclined, it is impossible to get stuff out of the giant basket without disturbing the baby and raising the seat. I can squeeze things into the basket by the area between the two seats, but they must be small things (not big souvenir bags - lol).

The other thing I don't like about it is the front seat. My 3 yo will still occasionally nap in a stroller -- and I'm guessing he will at WDW, and the seat doesn't have any side "wings" to support his head while he sleeps, so it just rolls off the front seat (ie. waking him up). (BTW -- Graco recommends that the heavier child be in front, making it less likely to tip backwards. But if big DS needs a nap, I'll have to put him in the back and have little DS in the front if he is awake.) Other than these annoyances, it really is a sturdy and useful stroller.

I went to the beach today with both kids (DS is now only 3 months, but will be 7 mo when we get to WDW), and I used my Baby Bjorn to carry him from where we were parked down to the beach. I hated using it -- even for only a few block walk. I hate not being able to see right in front of me, and it just puts way to much pressure on my shoulders. I would never last with it in WDW. I'm seriously considering ordering the hip carrier that casmanuel recommended. That may be a really good option. A few of my friends have back carriers, and I'm going to borrow one to try here at home to see if I could deal with one all day at WDW.

I think my final decision will be based on how big baby DS is when we leave, and how much my 3 yo has "matured" by then. Even if he could physically handle walking with us sometimes instead of riding in the stroller, I don't know if I would WANT him to. When something interests him, it's really difficult to stop him from running off to explore. Hmmm. We'll see.

I really appreciate hearing your experiences. Please keep sharing them with me! You've all given me some great ideas thus far!

Thank you!

Christine.

What about a Sit-N-Stand stroller by BabyTrend? Your kids are the perfect age for that type of stroller. I don't know how hard it is to fold and all, but I saw one at Babys R Us and it looks like it could be fairly easy.

We also bought a double umbrella stroller for about $50 at Target. We bought it specifically for WDW. It's easy to fold/carry. We have used it at home for our two DD's (now almost 3 years and 7 months) and have had no problems.

Your 3-year-old will need to use a stroller.

Last summer my dd was 6 mths old. We brought her regular stroller with the infant carseat attached. I also brought my sling. This was great. I would put her in it most of the time. I felt safe with her riding the rides while in it. A sling doesn't hurt your back because you can position the baby to where it is comfortable for you. The Hip Hammock looks pretty nice too. We had 2 older kids so we rented the strollers at the park.

Originally posted by hygienejean
Does the double umbrella stroller recline? Does it have a canopy?

Each side can separately recline and each side has it's own canopy. There is no basket underneath, so we bought a mesh stroller bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter