• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

stroller as wheelchair ?

saymama

Mouseketeer
We are planning our second trip to Disney World. I have 2 boys with autism. My youngest who is 4 is a little chunk. He was 59 lbs. (my oldest who is 7 weighs 45) We don't want to tote our own stollers again. And really we can't because my younger son has exceeded the weight limits. I don't really want to buy a new as it was cost big bucks to get one to hold him. MY MIL says that we should rent a wheelchair for him. and we can buy straps to hold him in. (he'll bolt or get aggressive if not) I'm not sure about that.

My question is, can you use DW rented strollers as a wheelchair? I need to keep my younger son secure in something. As I said he's a bit big and will try to run if he;s not.

I would not rent a wheelchair for a 4 year old for a number of reasons.
First of all, the WDW wheelchairs are mostly adult size. They have a limited number of child size ones, but there is no guarantee that you will be able to get one. And if you park hop, there is no guarantee that you would be able to get one in the second park.
Adult size wheelchairs end up with several problems because of their size:
  • The armrests will be way too high. The armrests might end up being anywhere from the middle of your son's head to mid chest high. Not at a height where they would be useful.
  • The seat is too deep. If the child sits all the way back in the seat, the edge of the seat probably will hit about mid calf, which means he will be sitting with his legs straight out ahead of him. If he sits forward in the seat so his legs can bend at the knee, it would be easier for him to bolt out (it also makes the wheelchair harder to push).
  • The seat will be too wide. The seats are sling type, so as you sit in it, you tend to slide to the middle. Not the most comfortable for long term use.
  • The rental wheelchairs don't have seat belts and there would not be a good place to attach any straps to secure him in.
Those are good reasons not to rent a wheelchair for any 4 year old, but with a child with autism, I think it's even more important to make sure he is comfortable.
You can get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that will allow you to use a stroller as a wheelchair (bringing it into lines, etc where strollers are not usually allowed). A lot of people whose children have autism or sensory issues report this works out well fro them since the child has a place with him/her at all times that is a "safe haven" that cuts down on stimulation. You can request a GAC at Guest Services in any of the parks. A few options for strollers:
  • Rent a WDW stroller in the parks. They come in several sizes. CMs have posted that the largest ones fit a small size 12 year old. A lot of children with autims like the WDW strollers. The hard plastic of the AK, Epcot and MK strollers provide firm pressure and the solid sides cut down on stimulation. The ones at the Studio are more like umbrella/jogging strollers, but they also come up a bit on the sides.
  • Rent a special needs stroller from one of the off-site rental places. Special Needs strollers are usually styles like large size umbrella or jogging strollers and will hold people up to 100 pounds. I've been told these places rent special needs strollers:
    Care Medical:
    http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
    Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Colonial Medical
    http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
    (800)747-0246

http://www.all-about-kids.com/main.htm
  • Look into getting your own special needs stroller before your WDW trip and bring it with you. It might be possible to get it paid for by insurance if it's a medical need. There might also be some sort of way to borrow one if there is an equipment lending service in your area. Your child's teacher would probably know. Here's a place that has them so you can see what they look like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter