Stroller and toddler on bus by yourself?

Kerr84

DIS Veteran
Anyone successfully managed their toddler and the stroller on the buses by themselves? I am traveling with my sister’s family but they will want to stay in the parks much later than my daughter and I. I’m getting nervous about getting myself, the toddler, and the stroller on the bus alone. Any tips?

Use a lightweight, easy-fold stroller.
Practice at home with her. Maybe when you are just out for a walk. stop when you are a half-block away from home practice getting her out, fold the stroller, "hold my hand."
If you have a wearable, either back or front, maybe switch her from the stroller to free your hands.
Don't lug a lot of extras -- just what fits in a backpack/diaper bag. Toss any left-over snacks or drink bottles as you leave the park. Save your souvenir shopping for another time.
If the bus is standing-room-only when it's time to board, step aside and wait for the next bus so you can get a seat.

Yes - you got this! I did it with two as my dd's are two years apart and we started going when my youngest was just under 2.

All of the above. 100% Find a lightweight easy to fold stroller, I had one that could stand up on its own when folded and had a carry handle on the side that was a lifesaver for me. Backpack as a diaper bag, don't overpack and make sure everything is out of the stroller basket before you leave the park. If she is a runner, consider a harness for those times when you're in transition.

Love the idea above about practicing so you can see what issues may come up and try and plan for that. Take your time and if necessary, wait for the next bus if you can't be sure of a seat (as posted above).

Don't worry about leaving early, you will probably end up enjoying that 1-1 time with your dd. Use the playgrounds and pool for some mom & me time.

I’m working on planning that as well. I’m thinking of renting a stroller rather than bringing ours, just to help with the buses!
A word of advice, if you plan to stay for fireworks you may want to reconsider. Carrying your passed out toddler while waiting for the monorail or boat can be an exercise in endurance.

We went at the beginning of February. My wife and I brought our double stroller for our 5 and 3 year old. My brother and his wife rented one in the park. The have a 3, 5, and 7 year old. We all stayed for fireworks at MK. Just so happened the monorail broke down so the entire park had to use the boats. It took us almost an hour to board. Carrying a sleeping 5 and 3 year old while the 7 year old whines about sore feet in the midst of the human cattle wrangling of closing MK is something he'll never want experience again!!

It was said above, but I am going to double stress this: be prepared to board the bus with everything in a backpack. That having to "unpack" the stroller in order to fold it up seems to be what I have witnessed as the problem spot when its been a single adult with one toddler. You can't be putting away the blanket, grabbing the shopping bag, finding the sippy cup, and having to fold the stroller and watch the kid. Simplify all that you are carrying before you even head to the bus stop - either before separating from the rest of your party or by a stop in the restroom before leaving the park. Take that moment to organize in advance of being at the bus stop.

And the backpack vs. a diaper bag because it is balanced on two shoulders vs a diaper bag on one arm which can throw you off balance more easily. And if the parent behind you offers to lift the stroller onto the bus for you, accept the help!

Yes, I have many times both bus and boat (the small ones that you have to break down the stroller for).

I pack very lightly for the parks so everything fits in the backpack (I also don't leave anything in the stroller when we go on rides so packing light is a must). I can even nestle my Yeti down into the bag to free up my hand to carry the stroller & toddler, and his water cup fits in an outside pocket.

You can do it!

I was there in July with a big group including my 20 month old. Every time we took a bus just the two of us someone offered a helping hand. It was very heart warming.

also, great suggestions above. Have a great time!

Just got back from a trip with a 5 yr old and a 20 month old. We avoided buses unless my husband was with me. Part of the trouble is when the toddler wants to "explore" the bus and you have to keep bringing them back to their seat, which requires letting go of the stroller and your bags. It will be stressful but worth it for the 1-1 time. I always had a bag of "new" fidget toys (Amazon sells them in large packs, those were amazing for lines) and lollipops for when I needed the baby to stay in one spot.

Will your sister's family have a stroller and extra hands? Can you leave the extra clothes/diapers with her in the park and just take the sippy cup /cup/ one diaper and wipes when you leave? Put that in bag that you can get to and wear at the same time like a waist pack.

Will your sister's family have a stroller and extra hands? Can you leave the extra clothes/diapers with her in the park and just take the sippy cup /cup/ one diaper and wipes when you leave? Put that in bag that you can get to and wear at the same time like a waist pack.
I've done that on a trip with my husband and left the stroller with him, but my sister and I are at different parts of the hotel (Mermaid/Nemo) and I think I will need it for the long hike back to mermaid. I bought a lighter stroller and have tried it a few times, so I think I will be ok as long as I can get a seat. If it is standing room only, I will definitely have to wait for the other bus.

You haven’t mentioned kiddo’s age/size but I’d recommend wearing toddler on the bus. When we went in 2015, our kids were 2 and 5. At the end of the night/getting on buses, I’d be in charge of the kids and whatever bags we had besides the diaper backpack and DH had the stroller and diaper backpack. I always wore the 2 year old so I had my hands free to carry stuff and keep the 5 year old close. The same principle would apply here- wearing toddler would keep your hands free to deal with the stroller. And kiddo would still be contained.

I’ve also used a Kinderpack or similar carrier that can accommodate a toddler or preschooler. You can wear them in the bus line and on the bus and keep your hands free for the stroller.

People are usually pretty nice and helpful on Disney transportation. I know I have helped people out with their strollers when they looked to have their hands full several times.

I can confirm this. We took our little one, and EVERYONE offered to help me fold our stroller.
We brought a GB Pocket, which was very compact when it folded. And it's made open and close FAST.! Since then, there are more models that do this, and are better for younger kids. It didn't have a big basket, but I found a bag that would go over the handles to hold snacks and maps.

You didn't mention this, but don't let anyone discourage you from bringing a toddler. Children under 3 get in free, you can feed them at the buffets for free, and they REALLY believe in the magic. I wish I had pictures of my son from the Disney Jr show. He absolutely adored his time at Disney, which made our time there more memorable.

I can confirm this. We took our little one, and EVERYONE offered to help me fold our stroller.
We brought a GB Pocket, which was very compact when it folded. And it's made open and close FAST.! Since then, there are more models that do this, and are better for younger kids. It didn't have a big basket, but I found a bag that would go over the handles to hold snacks and maps.

You didn't mention this, but don't let anyone discourage you from bringing a toddler. Children under 3 get in free, you can feed them at the buffets for free, and they REALLY believe in the magic. I wish I had pictures of my son from the Disney Jr show. He absolutely adored his time at Disney, which made our time there more memorable.
No one can discourage me. 😂 This will be my daughter’s 4th trip and she is 2 1/2. Hoping to get a Disneyland trip in too before she turns 3 this summer. Just my first trip where I think I will be on the bus alone with her several times.

I am a single mom by choice and started taking my daughter to Disney by myself when she was 14 months old. We visited 3 times a year on average. When she was younger I took our own stroller but then rented a city mini from the time she was about 4+.

Things that worked well were: Have a bag below the stroller that holds everything so when you fold it at the bus you just need to grab 1 bag. I’m one who likes to be prepared for any situation that might arise so would have failed miserably at the ‘carry light’ option so key for us was organization.

My daughter was asleep most times when we left the parks so I planned ahead for that.

I used a carrier on the bus at night until she was 4yo. She was too big to use it normally but I could tuck my sleeping toddler/pre-schooler into it while waiting for the bus, giving me 2 free hands to board the bus with our backpack, stroller bag, stroller and my daughter.

More than once at the end of the day I would wait for a second bus in order to ensure I got a seat. I didn’t want to ask another tired guest to move for us (even though they often offered) so if I could tell we’d have to stand we’d stand aside and let others pass by.

I agree with being willing to ask for help when needed. I didn’t do it often but occasionally did and people were more than happy to help.

Last edited:
Agree with everyone's comments above. Keep everything in a backpack or even just a sturdy plastic bag that you can easily grab (vs. having to remove every single item from the stroller basket before folding it). Assuming she's still awake, I usually helped my toddler up onto the bus "step", told her to stay, and then turned and folded the stroller with apologetic looks to the people in line behind me. Shove the stroller under the seat on the bus if you can. When she falls asleep while waiting for the bus though, that is rough. Put on the backpack, sling her over my shoulder and pray she doesn't wake up, try to fold up stroller with one hand (lots of practice!) and carry them both onto the bus without whacking her head on anything. Oh the flashbacks...

And if its an option, consider staying at Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Swan or Dolphin? Walking distance to a park is amazing... to two is even better. Sleeping kiddo can basically be transported directly to the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter