• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller Age limit

I agree about the umbrella strollers. We stayed on WDW property so that we could go back to the hotel to swim and rest with my five year old. We rented a WDW stroller too some days. You can turn it in at one park and get another at the next park if park hopping without paying more. Depending on her weight, you could buy a lightweight travel stroller but the ones that accomodate kids 45-55 lbs tend to cost $85-$200. Good luck!

My son used a stroller on one trip - when he was 4. After that, never again. Try not to commando so much and take breaks, hit the pool, take a nap, go to the arcade. You'll be amazed how long a kid can go when they get to make some of the calls.

By the way, go early to the park and you can do a whole lot more. Arrive when it opens, stay a few hours and then take a break back at your resort.

We never bring more than each person can carry, fanny pack, poncho, maybe a camera. Lugging around a lot of junk can really slow you down and tire you out quickly.

Honestly, I think that 7 is too old for a stroller... but do what's right for your family and don't worry about how it looks. Whatever you decide, make sure everyone has comfy shoes on and be willing to take breaks or go on a ride that has a bit of a wait if you guys need a rest.

We just returned a few weeks ago and my DD who turned 7 there rode in a stroller everyday. Sometimes she walked, but we always had the option if she got tired or we were in a hurry and needed to go faster than her small legs would go. She is small for her age and we did get a Maclaren Volo for $68 to take. Better than a rental in my opinion. They are very sturdy and have a basket underneath and will hold up to 55pounds of child plus bags, etc. We WILL use this again next year when we go and she will be just turned 8. No one can say there is a "magic" age to not use a stroller. Everyone has a unique situation and child and what works for one will not work for another. You have to do what is best for your family and not worry what others think. They dont have to be in your shoes and deal with your child. It is not their business. A young child has to take twice as many steps as an adult and it is MORE walking for them than for us. Our DD fell asleep in our Volo a couple of times also. We did the MVMCP and she slept from about 10pm on and we didnt leave till closing. The rest of us could enjoy the rides and shows and no one had to carry her. If not for the stroller, someone would have had to sit somewhere for the rest of the night holding her. Not fair to anyone in our group. She slept with no problems and we just put her in the bed when we got back to the hotel. Good luck!!

We just got back and while I took my stroller from home (a mac) for my DD2, I ended up renting a double stroller also. My DD7 (soon to be 8) walked the parks for 2 days. After the 2nd day, she was just not feeling quite herself, so we rented a double stroller. WOW...was it nice to have. Who cares what people think! Do what works best for your family. I can tell you though that pushing the rented stroller was much easier! Good luck!

My DD6 is 50" tall and 68 lbs. We took an old umbrella stroller that we bought at Kmart on Maui about 4 years ago when we forgot to bring ours. It cost $10, and has come in handy all of these years. We pushed her around in it without any trouble. Sure, it probably has a weight limit, but it held up fine and certainly helped us cover more ground without a tired child. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Hopefully, people are there to enjoy the parks and not look at you and your family. Have a great trip!

crisi said:
The MGM rentals are bad for older kids.

In MY opinion!!! The MGM are bad for ANY kids!!!! If you need to use the storage bag. . .your child has that bag in their back and the shade top will not stay put!!! Traded my stroller 2 or 3 times one day but it NEVER got better!!!

I will still rent a stroller for my DD6 in January. She's the size of some 8 year olds...65 lbs and about 50 inches tall. Last Janyary she still fit in the rental strollers fine, and I'm anticipating that it'll be fine again. There are lots of "big kids" in the rentals. Yours won't stand out. Having stroller, even though she isn't always riding in it, makes our days in the park so much more pleasant.

We are taking our three DDs (6+6+2) this February and I'm taking two strollers with me. I realize the older girls may look too 'grown-up' for a stroller, but only I and DH know how whiny they can get after a long day at the parks, so I really don't care what others may think, this is my long-awaited vacation and I plan to enjoy as much as I can! I'd rather push a stroller than put up with their whining...

We purchased a double jogging stroller for our trip to WDW. I got it off Ebay for just under $150 shipped and it came with the rain cover accessory. We will use it on at least on other trip. I figure after saving 10 days of stroller rental and reselling the stroller afterwards we will come out ahead. My 5 yo and 7 yo DD's rode in it most of the time and it worked out great for us. My oldest is a slow walker due to problems with her feet. She could have never lasted 5 days of walking the parks. The rain cover came in VERY handy. It rained on our last two days in the parks. The girls stayed completely dry! We got a number of envious looks and comments from other guests. My kids had the best stroller in the parks! The rain cover alone made our purchase worth every penny.

Edited to add: The MGM strollers are a Baby Jogger Rental Series stroller and are different than at the other 3 parks. Here is a link to info on the stroller.
Baby Jogger Rental Series Double Stroller
Baby Jogger Rental Series Single

I hadn't considered renting a double for DDs 6 & 3 for the parks. I thought that DD6 was maybe too old. After reading the comments, I really can see the arguement for letting her sit in a double with DD3. (Less whining, they have to walk twice as far, etc.)

I'd love to sit in a stroller too, if someone'd push me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter