Stressed Out. Seems impossible.

OP the first trip is awesome because everything is new! We love June at WDW! Don't fret, you'll be doing fun things all day! Like someone else said , book your FP for the most popular rides. The whole point is to avoid waiting in the longest lines. One thing I'll warn you about, it's easy to fall hard :lovestruc for the place on your first trip. Next thing you know you're an annual visitor, your wardrobe and home decor reflect your obsession, and you spend an exorbitant amount of time on The Disboards :surfweb: :earboy2:

Add me to the list of people who say that June is not a bad time to go at all. I've gone two Junes in a row. I was initially very worried about the crowd levels, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the crushing experience I had expected.

Yes, it's typical Florida heat, rain, and humidity, but the crowds were manageable and we got to do a whole lot. Having a good time at WDW is all about having a relaxed mindset... so even if the crowds were much higher, you can still have a great time if you set expectations right, be flexible, and above all, treat your vacation like a vacation and not a series of tasks to complete.

Ok. So I am taking my first trip to Disney World with my 11 year old son in June (I know, not an ideal season on the crowd calendar, but it was my only option.) I am just really stressing about how we are going to make the most of our time. I know that it is not possible to do everything at magic Kingdom, I am not expecting to be able to, but when I read some of the blogs out there, I feel like I am not going to have time to do a whole lot. We are staying off site and plan on being there as long as possible. I think my fastpass strategy will be to schedule my first three for early in the day in the same general area of the park and then add on after that, but I read that there is not very much selection when you choose the same day, which worries me. I know that alot of my stress is probably unncecessary, but I am wondering if any people who are experienced with Magic Kingdom have any tips or advice.

First off, take a DEEP breath . . . relax. Your trip will be exactly what you expect it to be. If you get to Magic Kingdom expecting a disaster, then that is what you will have. Arrive at the park expecting to have a Magical Day, and you will have just that, I promise!

Magic Kingdom is not all about the number of rides you go on. There is so much more to see and do in the park. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a game you can play. It is an interactive card game, played at portals, which are spread through most of the park (except Tomorrowland). This is something which is good to do when lines are long. The Pirates Adventure (in Adventureland) is also an interactive game, fun to play, good when the lines are long as well. There are numerous attractions that never really get long lines. The Enchanted Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (usually about a 15 minute wait) the Disney World Train, People Mover (sometimes the line looks long, but always moves fast) are all good rides to go on when there are long lines.

I wouldn't make your first FP+ selection right for 9:00. The first hour in the park, the lines won't be super long yet. Pick one of the headliner rides you really want to do (we often start with Big Thunder, and then Splash Mountain) and go straight to it when the park opens. Ride it standby, the line will be relatively short. Depending on where you are in the park, you may hit one or even two more headliners before lines start to get up over 20 minutes (from Splash, we will typically check wait times on the app for Pirates, and Haunted Mansion and do which ever one looks shortest). Have an idea of what rides you are going to do in that first hour or so before you make your 30 day FP+ selections. Make your first FP+ for 10 - 11, or 10:30 - 11:30 and chose the headliner rides that you aren't going to do standby (so in my example, I would chose Peter Pan, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and then either Space Mountain, or Pooh depending on what I wanted to ride).

When you are in the park, as soon as you pass the tap point for the first FP+ ride, start using MDE on your phone to try to "modify" your next FP+ to an earlier time. If you get the first one moved up, try to move the second one earlier too. If you make that happen, then you will be eligible for your 4th FP+ sooner. As soon as you pass the tap in point for the second ride, try to modify the last one again and see if you can get an earlier time. Try to use your FP+ and early hours in the park to get as many of the headliner rides done as you can. filling in with those short wait rides later in the day.

Then, when you have used all the good FP+, and done the rides with the short lines, get an ice cream, play sorcerers, wander through the shops, sit outside Casey's (can do this while eating your ice cream) and watch the piano player. Take time to see the Dapper Dans perform on Main Street. Watch the 3 O clock parade. There are plenty of things to do that don't involve rides!

Last edited:

You can't do Fastpasses until 30 days out since you are offsite but you should be able to get all the FPs you want except possibly SDMT. If it isn't available, rope drop it or try and get it late at night. Keep refreshing your app the day you are in the park and it often pops up randomly. You will get plenty done but pace yourself, it can be quite hot in June.

June is fine! Crowd calendars are nice but many people travel during school breaks and have a great time. In fact, last year I took my 11 year old in June and this year we're going again. If you click the link in my signature, you'll see lots more of us and we're talking about our plans and such. Feel free to drop by and ask some questions or talk about what you want to do and we can give you some advice if you want it!

I sympathize with anyone planning a first trip. Even for vets, the pre-trip planning has gotten a little crazy.

Yes, you'll face the first-trip learning curve, but you'll also experience the thrill of seeing everything for the first time! Where vets scurry, you'll be soaking in all the newness. Whenever we go to a new place, we just accept that we'll spend extra time navigating.

A few ways to ease your first trip a little:
1. Use what you already know about how you like to travel.
2. Carry a few non-perishable, non-melting, healthy snacks you like. While there's tons of food in WDW, a few granola bars (over waiting in line), can make the difference between getting to a Fastpass on time or not on time.
3. Always carry water! (refill when able)
4. Otherwise minimize how much you carry. Certainly carry emergency meds, plastic rain ponchos, and ID. If you want something like sunblock- choose a tiny tube of chapstick-style sunblock over giant bottles, etc. Heat + a big backpack= quickly tiring!
5. Limit/skip Advanced Dining Reservations. Allow PLENTY of time to get around from place to place. Getting to ADR's takes quite a bit of time.
6. DO find ways to take breaks. In summer- we skip afternoon shows that have long outdoor waits. We usually only do after dark parades + shows in summer. If you get hot, quickly get out of the heat. Grab a QS snack, or hop into some place like Innoventions with no wait.
7. Try to learn bathroom locations and/or ask CM's for the nearest one.
8. Minimize how much time you spend getting ready. With summer heat + rides, you won't look perfect. Hats, IMO, aren't great unless you really need the sun protection. (fall off on rides like TT, hat hair, sweaty head) Getting a haircut before you go is good, packing in an organized way - any pre-trip prep like that is often worth the time and $. Anything that helps you minimize prep time.
9. ONLY wear comfortable shoes. Bring at least 2 pairs, where one is water tolerant. In summer, WDW rain comes in torrents!
10. Try not to get upset when the unexpected happens. Unexpected things happen on every trip. That's why we try to minimize how much we structure our time, so we can roll with it. Other than our fastpasses, if a ride has a short wait, we ride and even re-ride. If the wait is long, we usually come back later. We can always think about a return trip some day. :)

Last edited:

If you can do two full days at MK you can easily do all the rides. We are going at the end of April and our First MK day we are going at opening (known as rope drop) doing Fantasyland in the morning then Tomorrowland in the afternoon, we'll be done touring by 4:30 when we have dining reservations for Cinderella's Castle. Our DD is 6 so odds are we'll leave after dinner but if she catches her 2nd wind maybe we'll do a few rides on the way out (but it's not part of the plan). MK day two, rope drop again this time doing the "other half" of the park and we'll be done by our 5 PM dinner reservations. We are doing an evening at MK later in the trip to see fireworks and enjoy the park at night but with an 11 year old you can easily stay for the evening on one of the two days (or both). If you do two days you could also do an early rope drop day the first day, be done by dinner then go back to the hotel for an early night. Sleep in the next day and then do early afternoon to park close and experience the park at night and see fireworks.

I recommend the Touring Plans website, it does have a small fee to subscribe but I promise it's worth it. You can use one of their pre-designed plans or create your own. It can help you figure out what rides to get FP for and what time, based on the rides you tell it you want to experience.

Just wanted to mention that at 30 days out, in June, its likely that you won't be able to get FP at MK for 7DMT or Pan before Noon. (I'm going in April - 10 days after Easter so probably lower crowds than June - and neither have been available before Noon since 55 or so days prior. I've noticed this all our past trips (late August, late June, Feb.)) Ditto FOP, if its available at all. I wouldn't rush at rope drop for any ride, nor would I stand by 7DMT if over 30 minutes (which means basically never) - just not vacation to us - but YMMV. (What I would do is plan to do less popular rides in the morning that have short waits, People Mover, Carousel of Progress, HOP, etc., eat, and get FP for 7DMT etc as early as I can in the afternoon. If evening is the earliest time I'd take that, but most of the time I can get an earlier time day before or morning of.)

What you need to do to do a lot is do Rope Drop for one of the most popular rides (the majority of people go to Seven Dwarfs first, but Space Mountain is another really big one. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder don't have so many people going to them first and so those lines are really short at the beginning of the day). Get your 3 FP+ at least within the first 3-4 hours of the day for rides that FP+ might sell out for (7DMT, Space and Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, etc) and then get your 4th one as soon as possible. If a time is available for a ride you like, get that time even if it is late and then keep pressing "modify" on the FP+ reservation on the app and try to get an earlier time. Remember to be smart with your later FP+ times. Some rides have FP+ that really don't need it and especially if you'll only do the ride once, you just need to know when to go on it. For example, don't get FP+ for rides like it's a small world or Mad Tea Party- you don't need it for those. Especially in the evening, those will have really short lines.

If at all possible, you should be there about an hour before park opening, all the way until park closing (remember if you get in line for a ride right at park closing, you're guaranteed to get on it even if you would be getting on after the park was technically "closed." So if you're going to need to wait in a half hour line for a popular ride, do it right at park closing because then it doesn't take away from park time). You can take a nap at the hotel in the middle of the day when the lines are the longest, but try as hard as you can to be there at park opening and park closing.

A way that we have been able to have much success in our trips before is using RideMax.com. It is about $17 I believe, but it is well worth it. Basically, once you purchase it, you choose the day you will go to a specific park, put in the time you will be there, put in any necessary breaks, put in all the rides you want to go on and how many times you want to go on them, put in your Fastpass+ reservations, and if your plan is possible, it will give you an itinerary with tips, wait times, ride times, and walk times for the whole day.

You'll want to schedule your first 3 FPs for rides with high demand, which won't be necessarily in the same area of the park. In my opinion, it's better to do a little bit of backtracking/extra walking, rather than excessive time standing in lines.

If you do 2 or 3 high-demand rides at Rope Drop (park opening), and if you get, say, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pan, and Space Mountain for your first three FP, you shouldn't have much trouble getting additional Fast Passes for other popular rides.

Actually, I would recommend doing Peter Pan first at Rope Drop, so that you don't miss the interactive queue. That would allow you to get your 3rd FP for either Big Thunder or Splash Mountain, which would be the other top priorities (assuming you will want to do them as well as Seven Dwarfs and Space Mtn). We usually do Peter Pan first then zip over to Tomorrowland for Space Mountain and Buzz, without much wait for any of those. Then we're in good shape to start in on our FP rides.

I definitely recommend Seven Dwarfs for a FP rather than doing it at Rope Drop, because there are way too many people headed there, and you can have a long wait if you're not at the head of the pack.

P.S. You'll be fine...
Thank you. That sounds like a good plan. My son loves roller coasters so we will definitely be doing the mountains. I just hope that we can get some of the more popular, iconic rides in as well.

Thank all of you. I heard that the queue at Peter Pan is a must see so I was thinking about rope dropping that ride, I just can't decide if I should try and go to frontierland or tomorrow land straight after while the lines are still on the short side. I for sure want to do all of the mountains and 7DMT because my son loves roller coasters. I wanted to try and get one of the mountains in right after Peter Pan so that it frees up a fast pass selection, I am just not sure which one would be best.

What you need to do to do a lot is do Rope Drop for one of the most popular rides (the majority of people go to Seven Dwarfs first, but Space Mountain is another really big one. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder don't have so many people going to them first and so those lines are really short at the beginning of the day). Get your 3 FP+ at least within the first 3-4 hours of the day for rides that FP+ might sell out for (7DMT, Space and Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, etc) and then get your 4th one as soon as possible. If a time is available for a ride you like, get that time even if it is late and then keep pressing "modify" on the FP+ reservation on the app and try to get an earlier time. Remember to be smart with your later FP+ times. Some rides have FP+ that really don't need it and especially if you'll only do the ride once, you just need to know when to go on it. For example, don't get FP+ for rides like it's a small world or Mad Tea Party- you don't need it for those. Especially in the evening, those will have really short lines.

If at all possible, you should be there about an hour before park opening, all the way until park closing (remember if you get in line for a ride right at park closing, you're guaranteed to get on it even if you would be getting on after the park was technically "closed." So if you're going to need to wait in a half hour line for a popular ride, do it right at park closing because then it doesn't take away from park time). You can take a nap at the hotel in the middle of the day when the lines are the longest, but try as hard as you can to be there at park opening and park closing.

A way that we have been able to have much success in our trips before is using RideMax.com. It is about $17 I believe, but it is well worth it. Basically, once you purchase it, you choose the day you will go to a specific park, put in the time you will be there, put in any necessary breaks, put in all the rides you want to go on and how many times you want to go on them, put in your Fastpass+ reservations, and if your plan is possible, it will give you an itinerary with tips, wait times, ride times, and walk times for the whole day.
Thank you. I will definitely look into that site.

Thank all of you. I heard that the queue at Peter Pan is a must see so I was thinking about rope dropping that ride, I just can't decide if I should try and go to frontierland or tomorrow land straight after while the lines are still on the short side. I for sure want to do all of the mountains and 7DMT because my son loves roller coasters. I wanted to try and get one of the mountains in right after Peter Pan so that it frees up a fast pass selection, I am just not sure which one would be best.

For that goal, definitely go to Big Thunder and Splash right after Peter Pan. You will have virtually no wait for either one of them.

That would leave you a third FP option besides Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Your best choices would probably be Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, or Buzz Lightyear (assuming you are not doing Belle or Speedway - either one of which would probably be your best third FP choice).

You are very welcome. Peter Pan is fantastic and not to be missed. You can rope drop Seven Dwarves Mine and FP Peter Pan (close proximity.) Pan is one of the lowest capacity rides and will back up quickly. You can FP next either Splash or Thunder, I recommend Splash since it is the lower capacity of the two, accepting a standby wait at Thunder (they sit next to each other.) Space can be after lunch...and it is highest capacity roller coaster at Magic Kingdom. Keep in mind loading times. Space Mountain can handle 1800 people an hour, Peter Pan only 700. Walking on to higher capacity rides and FPing low capacity ones is a good idea. The highest capacity rides are Haunted Mansion and Pirates, both can hand almost 2900 an hour during peak season. Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear are the lowest for the major attractions.

Last edited:
We went on our first trip in June of 2016. As far as crowds, it was better than our September 2017 trip. It was more crowded in the fall. We got to do way more than I thought we would. It’s just really hot.

We went last June, and the crowds were as manageable as WDW gets. You've gotten some good tips. To add:

-try to be at the park gate 40 minutes prior to open
-there will be rain in the afternoon pretty much everyday, plan on bringing panchos and doing inside attractions

For touring, I recommend using EasyWDW's cheat sheets as a guide:

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/cheat-...t-sheets-maps-touring-plans-and-wait-times-4/

Near the bottom, these cheat sheets will give you ideal touring plans (you can add/subtract from).

Read through people's experiences on the DIS and read some touring plans at easywdw or touringplans websites. Then, use this to make a general guideline-game plan, but also a guide that can be altered (must remain flexible). Our first trip was in July, and it was hot. The biggest take away for summer visits is that you will need fresh clothes for every day! No re-wearing anything!!

Everyone is talking about Peter Pan, and their thoughts are correct. It's really cool, and knowing how old it is makes it even better. It's a very low capacity ride that results in long lines. Go there first, or during the fireworks. Or FP+. See the fireworks at least once. If for some reason you can't ride Peter Pan, then no worries. It's a fun ride, but it isn't going to ruin your trip if you miss it. This actually goes for any one ride. Same goes if a ride gets an unexpected refurbishment, etc. If anything, you can use it as a reason to go back someday!

Enjoy your first trip to WDW!

The word I hate most at WDW is the word "done". As in get it done - were done by 7 pm. Please - especially since this is your first trip - don't think in those terms. Think instead of enjoying a wonderful day at MK. If you are so busy trying to get these rides done or those rides done you are likely to miss the magic of MK. Please watch all the little shows they have throughout the park - and watch the castle show! See the parade! Eat a hot dog at Casey's and enjoy a dole whip in Adventureland. Get sprayed by the camel next to Jungle cruise. Get a popcorn basket and refill it all day. Like one of the others said, play the games they have there.

The first thing I would do is get online witt your son and look at all the rides on You Tube. Find out what HE would like to do. I took my now 12 year old DGD many times since she was 2 and she was cautious about rides and loved seeing princes and Peter pan and Poo. I recently took my DS's 6 year old stepson and all he wanted to do was ride the big thrill rides - the bigger the coaster the better!.

I really liked the OP who said to rope drop Peter Pan and FP 7Dwarfs. That 7D line gets really long first think in the morning and you don't want to waste early morning in line. If you ride Peter Pan at rope drop (and honestly your 11 year old may almost be too old for this young a ride... we took a 7 year old and he thought it was a baby ride!) but if you do that and then head back to the mountains you can ride whichever of them you like a couple or even 3 times in a row. The line for Splash takes forever to walk through so ride one with a shorter queue first like Big thunder or hit Pirates and Jungle Cruise and use your FPs for Haunted Mansion, Space and Buzz Lightyear. If you go left to Adventureland when others are heading to Fantasyland you can ride more of the bigger rides before using your FPs for those you think your 11 year old will like most. Depending upon the boy some just really want the thrill rides

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter