Stressed, biting cat, help!

Chronic Daydreamer

Earning My Ears
I'm looking after my parent's cat at the moment (he's 7 years old), he's normally easy going and only nips at your ankle on occasion if he think's you're ignoring his request. He's used to having someone around most of the day. However at the moment we're going through some stuff and can't be home much at all, he's obviously stressed by what's going on, he's eating fine etc but very demanding when I am around, he just wanted lots of cuddles and attention. Problem is when I cuddle him he'll randomly bite, I can't see any signs it's coming. Yesterday he bit my neck out of nowhere, I can't end up with an infection from bites at the moment! I'm doing everything I can to make things comfortable for him, give him attention and play when I can, but I can't change the situation causing him stress, or have someone look after him. Any suggestions on how to stop the biting?

The biting is most likely overestimation/excitement. This is going to sound obvious but for starters, when he bites, stop playing with him. Play is his reward and if you keep interacting with him after a bite or nip, you are reinforcing the behavior.

Could you accommodate a second cat? Many people don't realize how social cats are. They naturally live in colonies and the stimulation might be the solution to his loneliness.

I'm looking after my parent's cat at the moment (he's 7 years old), he's normally easy going and only nips at your ankle on occasion if he think's you're ignoring his request. He's used to having someone around most of the day. However at the moment we're going through some stuff and can't be home much at all, he's obviously stressed by what's going on, he's eating fine etc but very demanding when I am around, he just wanted lots of cuddles and attention. Problem is when I cuddle him he'll randomly bite, I can't see any signs it's coming. Yesterday he bit my neck out of nowhere, I can't end up with an infection from bites at the moment! I'm doing everything I can to make things comfortable for him, give him attention and play when I can, but I can't change the situation causing him stress, or have someone look after him. Any suggestions on how to stop the biting?

Sometimes cats can lash out as a result of over-stimulation. They'll be the ones that solicit the affection but if you cross that imaginary line, they'll bite or scratch out of what is seemingly nowhere. I have one such cat lol. If you were around the cat more you'd probably get better at recognizing his "tells", but in the meantime I'd say if he comes over and cuddles up, that's fine that he's touching you, but I wouldn't pet him on top of that, and definitely avoid petting in any areas that might be "risky" like the belly or his face. Also, just from my personal experience, avoid staring into his eyes. That sounds silly as I type it but sometimes with my cat if I accidentally catch him in a stare-down he can interpret it as a threat and then will swipe. My cat will be 10 this year but he had a rough first few years as feral so he's still learning. He gets better everyday but we still have surprises now and then!

I had this issue when I first adopted my cat. I second the suggestion to stop the play/affection when he nips. If that doesn't work, a tap on the nose and a firm no should do the trick. Another thought with the cuddles is sometimes animals think that when you hug them in certain areas, they think that means you're trying to start a fight. I would give plenty of attention when home, but keep it to just petting his back or sitting on your lap. Some play time with some string or laser pointer might tire him out and encourage better behavior as well, especially if all he does is sleep all day when you are out.

There is a product that some find to be very calming for cats. It's called Feliway. It comes in a spray and an outlet plug-in.

We use the plug-ins because we have one cat that gets very stressed. I swear when the plug-in is empty I can tell by his behavior.

He's still playful and fun, but not aggressive when we have the Feliway.

They sell it at Pet Smart and probably most pet stores.

Is he still at your parents house of has he been moved to your house? Moving to an different home is Extremely stressful to cats, far more than dogs. If so, keep him in a very small area (like a bathroom or bedroom) for a few days.

Either way, you can buy a wall plug in of Feliway. It has feline pheromones in it and can help a stressed kitty feel a little less stressed. You can find it on Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter