Strategy for character meets on the Wish

westie55

DIS Veteran
With all the worrisome stories I've read about the long lines everywhere aboard the Wish, I'm wondering if there are any strategies for meeting characters with short waits. Are certain times of day or certain days of the cruise better? Are the lines shorter or longer off the ship on Castaway Cay? If you show up early, how early is enough to be at the front of the line? Are there any characters that tend to have shorter lines and don't require showing up very early? Are there any characters that are always a mob scene of a wait? Between my daughter and two sons, we are probably interested in just about all of the characters if possible.

I know about the Royal Gathering and will try to get this for my daughter! We will probably pass on Olaf's picnic due to the price.

I don't mind waits but we have 3 young kids including a toddler and perhaps the most impatient one of all... my husband LOL. Tips and tricks welcomed!

In my experience, no matter the ship, characters are so much easier to meet on the ships vs the parks. The lines are always shorter. Plus, the characters frequently visit oceaneers club. These spontaneous meets are the best! Your kid has a very high chance meeting lots of characters!

With that said, ever since they went to the online check in I have been unable to get tickets for the Royal Gathering. Be ready for it, and realize that it will be offered more than once. Check all days. If you are not in luck, they always hold some tickets back, check with guest services as soon as you board. We just got off the WISH - I found no difference in the lines to the other ships. Check the navigator and be on time for the meets you want to do. They close the line at a certain time. Also, specific to the Wish, you have the chance for a character meet at two of the main dining venues.

We have had many, many character interactions on the ships over the years, and some of them have become our favorite memories.

I've found weird times to be best. On our first cruise the last night pretty late (my kids were in bed) we noticed on the navigator there were character meet and greets so we decided to get out of bed and check it out. Barely any lines!

I tend to try to be there at least a few minutes earlier then the navigator lists… sometimes I’d start the line sometimes if a character was meeting I’d ask if the line was for who was out or the next character

Keep in mind characters also wear different outfits each day (on our 4 night wish debarking and sea day they had cruise outfits, Nassau day they had classic outfits, castaway day they had pirate outfits)

Also on the last night all the characters will come out for a free for all of last minute meets

I tend to try to be there at least a few minutes earlier then the navigator lists… sometimes I’d start the line sometimes if a character was meeting I’d ask if the line was for who was out or the next character
How far in advance of the scheduled meeting time do people start lining up for characters?

How far in advance of the scheduled meeting time do people start lining up for characters?
It depends I normally would show up 5-15 mins before depending on where I already was on board and how many others were all ready lined up

On our cruise last summer, we got in line a good 10-15 minutes early for Stitch because he's my daughter absolute favorite, and we were second in line.

For other characters, we showed up right around their start time, maybe a couple minutes early, and weren't first in line but also didn't have to wait that long.

I think as long as you don't show up toward the end of the window you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter