• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strategies to prevent walkers in front of ecv

I am glad for this thread. I usually am not in a hurry at the parks, but I'll be extra careful now when around WC's and ECV's.

When our whole family goes it is one ECV and two manual chairs. DS is in a chair most of the time so he doesn't even seem to notice when others cut him off. But like BillSears his is also manual and he is able to stop it on a dime. It is a nice light ultraweight and he doesn't weigh a ton. The ECV seems to have the hardest time with this but my youngest brother and I are the wingmen and we walk(each pushing a manual) in front of my brother in the ECV. If you have family who can do this it really helps. I also notice my DS does make eye contact,he doesn't speak loud enough for people to hear but it does seem people are just in their own vaction world and if they notice him smiling at them the do seem more in tune to his movements and generally move out of the way or open doors etc.

ITA about the personal space requirements too. My DM had a man straddle her footrests which effectively put his rearend in her face and blocked the show we were watching(something in the street in WS of Epcot). :earseek: She threatened to pinch his behind and asked if he was expecting to sit down and ride in the chair with her. She's 76 and always speaks her mind :rolleyes1

Slightly off topic...

I am just back from visiting the 'Independant Living Exhibition' near where I live.

This is an exhibition of equipment for the disabled and I would guess that 25% of the visitors where in wheelchairs or ECVs of some kind. Everywhere I went there was a wheelchair in front of me or an ECV overtaking me. Everytime I stopped to look at something, I would cause a traffic jam. More than once, I came near to a head on accident!!

Andrew

I'm with Bill Sears.

Not to mention the fact that you can do everything in your power to prevent things from happening, but you can't totally prevent the carelessness of others.

Nanajo1 said:
I have dreamt about attaching a "cow catcher " like the old time trains had and just gently push them out of my way. :rotfl:

My husband often talks (jokes) about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter