• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strategies to prevent walkers in front of ecv

zzammmi

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any ideas about how to avoid potential accidents caused by people walking in front of ecv's? I was thinking that the family could walk a few steps in front to clear the way. Anyone ever try this or have any other ideas?

I was thinking that my family could walk a few steps in front to clear the way
That was what my teenage DD finally ended up doing, walking in front of my wheelchair. This was after DH nearly dumped me stopping after a woman looked directly at us, then pushed her stroller right in front of us as we were rolling down a hill.
I just had to laugh at my DD, she started this without a word said from us. She would even ask little one (the ones that wander all over the sidewalk because no one was watching them) to clear the path.
She was just so fed up with the near accidents.

If we have others with us, we always have them run block in front and on our sides (where our heads are vulnerable to backpacks, elbows, etc.....)

I am lucky that I have good peripheral vision. Also I drive using only my thumb on the lever in such a position that I can get it off (and the EVC stop) very quickly. Since I am not a tourist I normally don't get distracted.

When I am with others I am able to talk with and pay attention to them but remain aware of what other people near me are doing. I have had times I have stopped and just let people walk into the parked scooter.

Sometimes if I am by myself and in a bit of a hurry I will travel at "full rabbit". However I know the capabilities of the scooter and can usually anticipate what people are going to do and cut to the side fairly quickly.

It sounds stupid, but, for the people coming towards me, I would try and make direct eye contact (even smile!). They'd usually come out of their vacation coma, smile back, and step to the side. I also tried to follow the rules of the road, and stay to the right. DS would usually walk 2 steps ahead and to the right, since, for us, that seemed to be the way people would cut in front of me the most. Don't forget, the WDW ECVs do NOT stop as quickly as the offsite rentals do. Good luck!
Terri

We haven't come up with anything besides what has already been posted.

I have dreamt about attaching a "cow catcher " like the old time trains had and just gently push them out of my way. :rotfl:

It's amazing how people will run into you even when you have stopped. Lost track of how manytimes the DW has been hit after she stops because we see that they are not paying attention to where they are walking.
We stopped apoligizing to people who walk into her years ago or stop quickly in front and get run into. Instead we make a polite but firm comment on how the wc can't stop as quick as they can and next time pull off to the side and don't stop in the middle.

Nanajo1 said:
I have dreamt about attaching a "cow catcher " like the old time trains had and just gently push them out of my way. :rotfl:

Well, I have either a crutch or a cane with me when I'm in an ECV (or being pushed through the airport in a wheelchair) and am not above using is as, yes, sort of a sweepert to clear the path ahead :)

Betcha if you were carrying a taser, they'd move the heck out of your way. But I like the "cow catcher" idea too.

pugdog said:
It's amazing how people will run into you even when you have stopped.

One year, I am heading out of Epcot and find my way blocked by a family taking pictures in front of Spaceship Earth. I don't like to get into other people's family photos so I wait 15 feet or so back while mom lines up her family. She can't fit Spaceship Earth into the photo and starts walking backwards towards me and I eventually have to shout at her to stop her falling into my lap!!!

I have fantasised about getting one of thos bulb operated horns that were used on vintage cars, about 10 feet long so I can reach up just behind someone's head before sounding it!

Andrew

pugdog said:
or the canned airhorns you can get for boating. :cool1:
I had been seriously considering this, but then found these are designed to be heard several hundred yards away and would terrify too many people (innocent bystanders) if used in the parks. :rolleyes1

Yes the heart patient next to you will drop dead. But on the plus side the people in front of you have moved. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2:

Chris has a bike horn to try and get people to move because she cant talk louder than a loud whisper. It must be so frustrating for her to not be able to shout!

Maybe a bike horn might work? Instead of an industrail strength air horn? :rotfl:

pugdog said:
It's amazing how people will run into you even when you have stopped. Lost track of how manytimes the DW has been hit after she stops because we see that they are not paying attention to where they are walking.
We stopped apoligizing to people who walk into her years ago or stop quickly in front and get run into. Instead we make a polite but firm comment on how the wc can't stop as quick as they can and next time pull off to the side and don't stop in the middle.

We are a family of 3, DH, DS and myself, who are able-bodied, but the sometimes the men of my family don't understand this exact point...move off to the side when stopping to allow others to continue forward...aargh! I'm working on 'em...I even try to give handsignals to direct them when I'm in the lead...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Some of the newer regular scooters (not Disney's, I don't think) that are available for rental at DME dealers, have an upgraded joystick controller with a built-in horn. It works wonders, as I have one for my power chair, and since I'm deaf in both ears (but can still speak a little), it's hard for people to hear me say "Excuse me". The horn is loud enough, so that if someone tries to get in the way/in front of me, a toot of the horn, will get their attention.

Take Care, Samantha :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I do know of a couple of guys who had car horns placed on the wc and connected to the battery. Alot of people jump when they hit the button. :banana: :banana: :banana: :moped:

Maybe it's because I use a manual wheelchair full time but I really don't have much of a problem with this. I think maybe once or twice a trip I have to "slam on the breaks" to avoid a problem.

I'm always on the look out for people stepping in front of me. I pay attention to the people around me, seeing who is being oblivious, plotting thier paths, and keeping track of the crowd. I do my best to not travel next to doorways where people might dash out. I wait till the path is clear before heading down or up a hill. I pause before exiting a building to look outside. I basically "drive defensively".

One trick I do use is I make eye contact and say Hi. People may think I'm one of the most friendly guys they know. But often I'm just making sure that they know where I am. :)

Perhaps some pages from football and rugby playbooks could suggest some blocking/rushing formations for the home team. A flying 'V' may be most effective. Perhaps if everyone wore dark-glasses and headsets, they may command more respect and avoidance. :rolleyes1

Sadly many people just don't understand space requirements for ECVs and chairs, people using canes or crutches, or even strollers. Unfortunately, there is no provision for informing large segments of the population and it is up to the individual instead.

From this day forward, I myself will be keeping a lookout for bulb-horns and cowcatchers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter