Strange World Is a Historic Bomb for Disney on a Weak Thanksgiving Box Office Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get off-topic, but I think Avatar 2 is going to bomb (or at the very least, not make back its $$$) for similar reasons. Studios need to put more effort into unique and cool storylines to get butts in seats at movie theaters. Cool, flashy visuals brought the crowds in 2008, but now it's hardly something a family is going to shell out $25 a person to go see.

Also re: Avatar- THREE HOURS LONG?! Inexcusable. At least Disney animation seems to understand that that's entirely too long to sit through a movie unless there's an intermission with espresso shots included.
I don't think it'll do badly. My parents want to go see it so I helped them buy tickets and many times and days have entire theaters almost sold out. I also see ads for Avatar 2 EVERYWHERE. Whereas when I look at Strange World, maybe 2 sets of seats maximum are sold out.

Totally agree about the length though. I would definitely need a bathroom break in the middle lol

Going to the movies with your family is an experience. Anyone can sit in their house all day and watch TV or movies. Did that for a year in 2020 and watched all the movies we could. Got old fast. I still remember times I went to the movies with my family when I was a child. Those are memories I want my children to enjoy and remember.

Its more about the product being put on screen. There are still movies that make a billion dollars at the box office. People just need to want to see them. This movie is not one of them. Every live action movie also has sucked that they put out. They just haven't had the " it " factor in a while. Encanto was alright, but I still think it was extremely overrated compared to older movies. Just my opinion.

We as a family much prefer snuggling all comfy on the couch to watch a new movie. We take the kids here and there to the movies if something we all really want to see. My bigger issue with all this direct to streaming movies is they are often lower budget and it shows. If people want good quality movies there needs to be less content out there and focus on success. Now everyone expects new movies on the streaming stuff all the time which lowers quality.

Not to get off-topic, but I think Avatar 2 is going to bomb (or at the very least, not make back its $$$) for similar reasons. Studios need to put more effort into unique and cool storylines to get butts in seats at movie theaters. Cool, flashy visuals brought the crowds in 2008, but now it's hardly something a family is going to shell out $25 a person to go see.

Also re: Avatar- THREE HOURS LONG?! Inexcusable. At least Disney animation seems to understand that that's entirely too long to sit through a movie unless there's an intermission with espresso shots included.

A lot of sci-fi and fantasy movies are that long - even Marvel. I just saw Black Panther and it's pushing three hours. I do agree that many movies today are a bit too long, but that doesn't seem to hurt them. I usually think they should trim about 20 minutes form EVERYTHING - but you know. James Cameron's movies are also always long! He's James Cameron though - he's earned the right. Studios shortened The Abyss to terrible results, but if you watch the extended cut it's great!

Animation is uaully only that short due to the costs and time involved. The entire movie is one long SFX shot!

At the moment, Avatar 2 is projected to open around $150-$175M, which is extremely good. It would put it right behind Doctor Strange and Black Panther as the largest openings this year. It has also been tracking well overseas and is in the fortunate position of having a China release whereas no Marvel movie did. The premiere is tonight in England and we'll see some reactions shortly thereafter. If all things go well than the movie should easily be the highest grossing of the year, topping Top Gun, and has a chance at passing $2B worldwide. Obviously, even at $2B that would be a big drop form the first one but it would also be highly profitable for Disney and they could use that at the moment.

Aside from the novelty of the 3D & the visual effects, I was one of the ones who didn't get why Avatar was that successful the first time, but it was. Length, James Cameron-ness, everything they're doing with the new one appear to be things they've succeeded with in the past, so I certainly won't count it out.

It was definitely the global success last time that made the difference though. This time we have to see if China lets enough people out of the house to even go to theaters...

At the moment, Avatar 2 is projected to open around $150-$175M, which is extremely good. It would put it right behind Doctor Strange and Black Panther as the largest openings this year. It has also been tracking well overseas and is in the fortunate position of having a China release whereas no Marvel movie did. The premiere is tonight in England and we'll see some reactions shortly thereafter. If all things go well than the movie should easily be the highest grossing of the year, topping Top Gun, and has a chance at passing $2B worldwide. Obviously, even at $2B that would be a big drop form the first one but it would also be highly profitable for Disney and they could use that at the moment.

The one problem Avatar 2 has is its budget - it's rumored to be almost double the most expensive blockbuster of this year (just the production budget is at least $400M, thanks to all the new tech developed for the series) - so, it needs to do incredibly well at the box office to end up profitable.

It seems like it will, based on presales, but after fan rush, it will still need to do well for weeks on end...

A central part of the plot, the non-hetero romance part, alienates a ton of people. Whether you think that's right or not, people feel a certain way about having certain things in children's entertainment. Seems to be a trend where those themes are included...the movie doesn't perform.

Regardless of where you stand on the topic, that does seem to be the result/trend when certain themes are part of the story. Instead of companies listening, they push even harder. This is not limited to Disney. Nickelodeon and Hallmark would be included in that.

Unrelated, but related.....I know a lot of parents will not allow their kids to watch the Santa Clauses series because of the whole "WE LOVE YOU SATAN" scene they put in there. Some may find it comical, many see it as an intentional message. (consider Owl House) Regardless of which side you stand on, there are things parents do not want in entertainment for their kiddos. I know many moms and dads who have said "I wish Disney would get back to princesses and animal stories". People like what Disney was, the foundation of it.

Having said that, I do believe all people should be treated with love and kindness. Regardless of which side you stand on, for any topic, we should be kind, considerate and remember that people we disagree with (on any topic) have feelings, too, and we should treat everybody how we want to be treated. Disagree, but do it without leaving scars.

Agree. I am 0 for 3 in trying to watch the first one. o_O So boring, so B rate everything (on tv). I've been seeing the trailers for it in theaters and I think the issue now is ... Cameron's high tech animation of the past will impress no one now. The industry has caught up and all I saw was an animated movie with big blue people. I can't even fathom how many more there will be of same. As a stockholder sure hope I'm wrong with all the money he wasted on this but it's not going to be enough to hit the numbers they need.

I'm in an affluent area, movie tickets are nothing to the people here. The big movies filled theaters a few nights then it was right back to mostly empty seats. Opening night Avatar offers 2 Dolby 3D, 3 Real 3D, 2 Dine In times. Dolby 3D are half full, Real 3D has about 6 seats in each sold and Dine In has about a dozen. Friday adds more times but not more sales and adds Imax 3D three times ... overall only half sold. No one is rushing and buying tickets for this movie around here.

We as a family much prefer snuggling all comfy on the couch to watch a new movie. We take the kids here and there to the movies if something we all really want to see. My bigger issue with all this direct to streaming movies is they are often lower budget and it shows. If people want good quality movies there needs to be less content out there and focus on success. Now everyone expects new movies on the streaming stuff all the time which lowers quality.
Agreed it's exactly why streaming services are having trouble making profit. I feel like all companies put all their eggs in she streaming platform and don't know how to do anything different. The biggest problem is people now look at streaming to replace cable TV. They want constant new content. The problem is that costs companies money to make. The only way to fix that is either start charging subscribers for new content when it first comes out or raise prices. IMO they need to raise prices to $30 to $40 a month that or stop putting out so much new content.

Agreed it's exactly why streaming services are having trouble making profit. I feel like all companies put all their eggs in she streaming platform and don't know how to do anything different. The biggest problem is people now look at streaming to replace cable TV. They want constant new content. The problem is that costs companies money to make. The only way to fix that is either start charging subscribers for new content when it first comes out or raise prices. IMO they need to raise prices to $30 to $40 a month that or stop putting out so much new content.

Yup but people won't pay 30-40 a month so they will instead just keep complaining..lol. Streaming platforms should be for older stuff more a replace to buying DVDs and such not a place for first run movies. A few movies or series is fine just like other TV stations have done, but new every week won't work for qquality.

Yup but people won't pay 30-40 a month so they will instead just keep complaining..lol. Streaming platforms should be for older stuff more a replace to buying DVDs and such not a place for first run movies. A few movies or series is fine just like other TV stations have done, but new every week won't work for qquality.
Agreed. That's how Netflix started out. It's the way they should be. First run movies should be theatre first, pay per view streaming 6 months later (charge $20 to view on streaming) and a year later make it available.

Personally i have never got the whole streaming thing. With our work schedules we just don't have much time to binge watch much.

Regardless of where you stand on the topic, that does seem to be the result/trend when certain themes are part of the story. Instead of companies listening, they push even harder. This is not limited to Disney. Nickelodeon and Hallmark would be included in that.

Unrelated, but related.....I know a lot of parents will not allow their kids to watch the Santa Clauses series because of the whole "WE LOVE YOU SATAN" scene they put in there. Some may find it comical, many see it as an intentional message. (consider Owl House) Regardless of which side you stand on, there are things parents do not want in entertainment for their kiddos. I know many moms and dads who have said "I wish Disney would get back to princesses and animal stories". People like what Disney was, the foundation of it.

Having said that, I do believe all people should be treated with love and kindness. Regardless of which side you stand on, for any topic, we should be kind, considerate and remember that people we disagree with (on any topic) have feelings, too, and we should treat everybody how we want to be treated. Disagree, but do it without leaving scars.
What intentional messages does Owl House have? If anything, that show has some of the best LGBT rep Disney has put out. Better and more respectful than the movies anyway. If people cannot handle certain themes in media, that's on them and not the movies/shows themselves.

Regardless of which side you stand on, there are things parents do not want in entertainment for their kiddos.
And then there are parents like me, who intentionally seek out movies and shows that highlight diversity. I am always pleasantly surprised when LGBTQ characters show up on Disney Junior. And, ironically, the shows for pre-schoolers often have the best, most natural content.

And then there are parents like me, who intentionally seek out movies and shows that highlight diversity. I am always pleasantly surprised when LGBTQ characters show up on Disney Junior. And, ironically, the shows for pre-schoolers often have the best, most natural content.
Yes, there are parents who will want to expose their children to all types of content. Disney is a Corp responsible to their stockholders. Audiences/parents have spoken loud and clear that they will not accept "kids" movies with LGBTQ content. Disney can keep generating these movies, and will keep having them bomb at the box office. There is a place for LGBTQ, that is what I thought HULU was for, putting on adult content. But heck, it is their money and since I do not own any stock, go ahead and keep producing these movies. Just remember the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Strange World's box office has to be extremely embarrassing to a lot of CMs at TWDC. An R-rated, Violent Night, obliterated Strange World at the box office in only its second week in the theaters. No offense to the folks that I'm assuming worked very hard on Violent Night, but an animated Disney movie should not be trounced by Violent Night at the box office.

That's epic -- bad.
It’s that John Leguizamo factor!!!

2nd time he’s been in an R-Rated movie that opened during a Disney Animated Adventure Film’s 2nd weekend and won. 2002 was Empire against Treasure Planet.

What intentional messages does Owl House have? If anything, that show has some of the best LGBT rep Disney has put out. Better and more respectful than the movies anyway. If people cannot handle certain themes in media, that's on them and not the movies/shows themselves.
I was not referencing LGBT. Read my comment again in context. Not too hard to put the pieces together with a little discernment. You could also do some web searches if you need a little guidance. I truly do not not mean that in a snarky way; I am being careful about what I post due to forum rules.

I haven’t seen the movie although I will probably watch it when it comes on Disney+. If I had to guess I would think the movie hasn’t met expectations because it’s not the greatest movie combined with the LGBT content (passing no judgement, but there are more parents that avoid LGBT content than there are that search it out). At the end of the day, it’s up to movie studios to make movies that they think a wide rage of their base will pay to see. Maybe there just isn’t the market for this type of movie that they thought there was.

Yes, there are parents who will want to expose their children to all types of content. Disney is a Corp responsible to their stockholders. Audiences/parents have spoken loud and clear that they will not accept "kids" movies with LGBTQ content. Disney can keep generating these movies, and will keep having them bomb at the box office. There is a place for LGBTQ, that is what I thought HULU was for, putting on adult content. But heck, it is their money and since I do not own any stock, go ahead and keep producing these movies. Just remember the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
I’m not sure they expect different results.

LGBTQ characters don't equate to "LGBTQ content." Unless you think that simply existing is controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter