Stormalong bay with a non swimmer?

Ashleybritton

Mouseketeer
We’re doing a pool day on our first night. Last time we stayed at the GF and the pool was perfect! I have a 7 year old and a 2.5 year old. The slide at the GF was perfect in that it was big enough and not enclosed which is better for my 7 year old. I loved swimming with the monorail going by and the size of the pool was manageable with our young kids. This time we’re staying at the Beach Club and I’m excited to check out stormalong bay, but I’m a bit worried the pool is going to be too big. My littlest will be in a life jacket, but I worry we’ll lose that relaxing feel we loved at the GF pool. We can switch to the GF, but it’s $600 a night and that’s a hard pill to swallow just for the pool. Iis stormalong bay relaxing or chaotic?

FWIW, this is a split stay. We’ll switch over to the Poly later in the trip if that makes a difference.

You have to be comfortable with staying in one section of the pool. If your little ones are going to look at the whole thing and want to go here and there, it may not be the best choice.

Are you open to a moderate resort? POFQ has an awesome pool area for little ones.

We stayed at GF last December and we have also stayed at BC. SAB is much busier most of the day. I’d say it can still be relaxing, but definitely a different overall vibe. The lazy river is VERY relaxing. My 15 month old son floated in it with me every day and took a nap the year we stayed there. :-) The shallow sand area is perfect for non-swimmers. The slide is very fun, but it is nowhere near the shallow area, and you do have to actually leave and walk across the path to get to the entrance. I feel like the water at the bottom of the SAB slide was deeper, and since it was busier I felt like there was more rush to get out compared to GF. Might also just have been the time of year. For that price difference I would stick with BC and see if you like it.

I had to watch my then 3.5 and 7 year old and it was exhausting. The 7 yo was dashing between the sand area and the lazy river while the 3.5 wanted to go on the slide located on the far side of the pool complex. It didn't help that the 3.5 was also a runner/dasher. If your children are willing to play in the same area, or if you have two adults, one for each child, it would be fine.

I really enjoy this pool and would describe it as somewhere between relaxing and chaotic. If you're wanting to create a somewhat more relaxing vibe, you could always look into one of the cabanas. I don't know the cost off the top of my head, but its likely less than the additional cost of switching to the GF

Not to be a complainer, but this has often been my gripe about Storm along bay, it's almost too big. I know most people go on about it being the best pool on site, and in some regards I'd agree but it can be a pain when you have kids of various ages. Ours are currently 15, 10 and 7 so it won't be so bad this year but I used to prefer the pool at the Poly, or Caribbean beach for that matter as they're smaller and it is indeed easier to keep an eye on the kiddos.
The sand side for the little ones is a lot of fun for them but a FAR way from the slide.
If you older one likes the slide you might try hanging out in the little pool across the walkway where the slide starts. You can keep a good eye on your smaller one there, it has smaller slides for little ones and there are also great views of the lake from there. At least that way the older one can check in with you on each trip down the big slide :) If all else fails Disney does typically have very attentive life guards.

We preferred GF to BC for this reason when my kids were little. We now stay at BWI primarily. Love the location and the hotel more than BC/YC, and it has an enclosed pool and slide.

I would consider switching to BWI. They don't have a zero entry pool, but you can sit on the pool deck (or be in the pool with your 2 year old) and see your 7-year old going up the stairs to the slide and going down the slide (it's also a great slide). It would be much more relaxing than SAB.

SAB is very disjointed to me and you have to cross the public path (in your swimsuit!) to get to the slides. I think it's pretty overrated as a whole. BUT there is the sandy entry area that would be perfect for your 2 1/2 year old. Someone would have to take your 7 yo to the slides though. I might let my 7 year old go by themselves after going a few times, but not the first one. Plus the splash down zone is very far from the sandy entry area.

You can see in my signature that this is our fave place on all property but it is a challenge with littles and older kids. One of us would stay with my daughter in the sandy part and one would go with the older kids to the slides. We ended up spending a lot of time in the area behind the big slide where the kiddie slide is. My daughter would stay there for hours and we’d be able to see our boys going up and down the slide.

It won't be relaxing. That pool is large and sprawling. I don't think you have to go to GF for the pool though. My kids never met a pool they didn't like when they were that age.

One end of the pool is a zero entry with sandy bottom. Its like a beach with lots of sand. There is plenty of room for little kids to play.

JMHO, but I don't think any pool is relaxing while supervising young children. You have to watch them like a "hawk" even with lifeguards around.

The sand play area is really nice and easy to stick to. The quiet pools are also relaxing. There is a kiddie slide that your youngest would like but probably too boring for your oldest.

I love SAB and have 2 young kids but there are always lots of adults in my parties to split up as needed.

The Kidani pool and splash pad area is one of the best IMO for multiple children at different ages.

If you are concerned, I would switch. To get on the slide you have to leave the pool area and the slide is on the opposite side of the sand pit/kiddie area.

My rules in staying there and going to a water park was that all my kids needed to be able to swim. I could of stayed there in 2013 since my 7 yo could swim but I still wanted to have my eyes on her so we just stayed at the Poly that trip and did a water park. Last summer all 3 were swimmers so I didn’t have to have eyes on them at all times, although I tried to see where they were (younger 2 at volleyball or kiddie activities).

There are two smaller slides across the way that dump into a kiddie like pool. My kids were 8 and 6 last time and I would sit in the water and they liked those slides. Your 2.5 could be in that area okay. The pool is huge though and you enter the big slide outside of the complex which is REALLY hard You are just running back and forth. The sandy area is nice and you can relax there.
Have fun!

AKL is great. They have the zero entry and the slide. They also have the kidani complex if you want more adventure, but it is more compact. Same with WL.

I love hotel swimming pools in general, but SAB is not my favorite. There are too many little sections, and so many people that it can be hard to find a lounge. I’m not likely to use the volleyball area or the area where toddlers build sandcastles, but the lazy river part is great. In general, the pool is always crowded. It doesn’t feel like a place to kick back after a busy day at the theme parks so much as another attraction. I would also caution you about the slide. While it is definitely really fun, the line to its entrance is out of the line of sight of a parent anywhere at the pool, so you have to either feel comfortable letting your kid wait on line solo or be willing to wait on line with them. My son was a teen the first time we stayed at the BC so we didn’t have to worry, but I could see the potential to lose track of a little one very easily. Personally, I prefer the GF, AKL or BW pools.

I love SAB pool and would keep your stay there. When my kids were 8 or under, they loved to play in the shallow sand area and that was very relaxing as it is separate from the rest of the pool. The little slide by the big slide was also a good place to hang out with them. I did the lazy river with them but only if there was 1 adult per kid when they were little. To give you some perspective, my daughter was fine in the lazy river at age 8 with one broken arm in a cast. Hope you enjoy your stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter