Storm Nicole

Plague

DIS Veteran
Can't really see a place to ask this, though there is a post in the cruise section. I've been in WDW for a while and moving over to Universal tomorrow (8 Nov) until Thursday evening when I should fly home from MCO.
But this storm looks like it's going to be a problem.
Anyone know how much of a problem it's likely to be? There's talk it might make it to cat 1 hurricane on the east coast.
Rides or even parks closed? Flights cancelled/delayed?

I’ve been watching, still a bit to early to tell, the forecast and track seemed to get a tiny bit better this morning, but tomorrow and Thursday look wet. Thursday night slightly better then earlier in the day.

There haven’t been many announcements yet, so we just do not know what will happen with flights or parks, is it possible stuff is canceled yes, is it possible it all stays open yes, just a waiting game unfortunately at this point.

We were supposed to fly in Thursday early evening but I changed it to fly in tomorrow morning. Looks like Wednesday night into Thursday will be the worst of it.

It's a large area storm. Likely not as "destructive" but very wet and very windy.

At this point, consensus tracking has it going right over Orlando. This would suggest high probability the parks will be closed Thursday. You likely won't be able to fly easily for a day or two before and after Thursday.

1667909329293.png

At this point, consensus tracking has it going right over Orlando. This would suggest high probability the parks will be closed Thursday. You likely won't be able to fly easily for a day or two before and after Thursday.
That's what I was wondering about. All the stuff I googled was a bit vague about real world outcomes.
I hope it does a dogleg like Ian did, though as you say, it's big so that might not make much difference.

That's what I was wondering about. All the stuff I googled was a bit vague about real world outcomes.
I hope it does a dogleg like Ian did, though as you say, it's big so that might not make much difference.
Correct.

FYI - Don't use Google for stuff like this. Google is useless for real time information now a days. It's algorithms are also entirely biased and designed to push toward advertisers. It's a garbage search engine.

Use Twitter and then do #searches (for example #Nicole) and then search either by top or latest. You have to use common sense to screen out dumb posts, but if used right, Twitter takes you directly to the source with the most current information. Twitter is why I was able to confidently cancel days ago rather than waiting last minute.

Best of luck to you.

Really too soon to tell regarding the parks. If it's a weakening Cat 1 or TS by the time it hits Orlando, the parks will likely open for at least part of the day (indoor attractions only, and I'd expect street entertainment to be canceled). It'll be wet, miserable, and prone to flooding though (I was working HHN when Rita hit and the houses stayed open, but it was an awful, gross night). If it's a strong Cat 1 or above, they'll probably close all day.

I wouldn't count on flying out Thursday night. Maybe Friday, depending on damage and cancellations from Thursday. If you're able to shift things to Saturday, it'll make your life easier.

Good luck!

If you're able to shift things to Saturday, it'll make your life easier.
It's a long booked transatlantic flight, so my options are limited.
I have a feeling the airline won't be responsible for extra accommodation for a thing like this, so I'm trying to decide whether to get another night lined up before the rush :confused3

I have a feeling the airline won't be responsible for extra accommodation for a thing like this, so I'm trying to decide whether to get another night lined up before the rush :confused3
That definitely makes it tougher. I'd definitely try to book another night or two now. If it looks like it's going to be bad, a lot of locals will be trying to get reservations as the park-affiliated hotels are generally considered a safer/more pleasant place to be. Talk to the front desk directly. I think the governor already declared a State of Emergency, which triggers all sorts of protocols, one of which is flexibility with room reservations. If you do need it, you're covered. If you don't need it, you may be able to cancel without penalty. But again, you'll have more success if you go to the front desk at your current resort and explain the situation face to face.

The Orlando airport is closing on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00pm. Probably won't be open until Friday.

Talk to the front desk directly.
So I did that and she said they had no availability as many others had been extending their stays. I asked about cancellations and she said they got processed on the system at 3am, so to check back tomorrow, and then offered a phone number to help with finding somewhere else to stay if I couldn't stay here.
I feel that existing occupants are getting something of a raw deal ... at least they could have made a waiting list of some sort. But the service in general seems to me very sub-Disney so far.

A bit later I was passing time on my tablet and out of curiosity tried to book that night direct on the website. No problem - same room type and offered me several upgrade options too. Different bucket of rooms I suppose.
You wonder sometimes ... :crazy2:

So I did that and she said they had no availability as many others had been extending their stays. I asked about cancellations and she said they got processed on the system at 3am, so to check back tomorrow, and then offered a phone number to help with finding somewhere else to stay if I couldn't stay here.
I feel that existing occupants are getting something of a raw deal ... at least they could have made a waiting list of some sort. But the service in general seems to me very sub-Disney so far.

A bit later I was passing time on my tablet and out of curiosity tried to book that night direct on the website. No problem - same room type and offered me several upgrade options too. Different bucket of rooms I suppose.
We are in the same boat. Hotel front desk keeps telling us nothing and the Guest services line from the room the same thing. Just found out this morning they have had a waiting list this whole time too...

So sorry to hear they gave you the runaround! I used to be a TM, and I hate hearing that other TMs aren't living up to expectations :( So glad you were able to get it booked online though!

Just seen on the BBC this morning:
November hurricanes are rare in Florida. Since record-keeping began in 1853, the sunshine state has been hit by only two: in 1935 and 1985.

Just my luck :guilty:

Just seen on the BBC this morning:
November hurricanes are rare in Florida. Since record-keeping began in 1853, the sunshine state has been hit by only two: in 1935 and 1985.

Just my luck :guilty:
I was just thinking about you. Holding up okay? How are things at the parks/resorts today?

How are things at the parks/resorts today?
Universal is closed. Haven't checked, but I think Disney is too.
Probably open up this afternoon I think.

Holding up okay?
Yeah, it's just tedious being sat around in the hotel. But being retired it's not hugely different from being sat round at home ...
... except for the cost of course :rotfl2:

We move to universal tomorrow, and trying to check and see status but don’t see much in their app. We have 2 nights at the hard rock so hopefully check in will be fine and we will be able to get our room.

At Disney today and late park openings but they are opening today, so 🤞🏻Universal isn’t far behind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter