stores charging for bags?

No idea. I ditched our reusable bags years ago and re-use boxes (strong veggie/fruit boxes from Sams Club) to pack our groceries from Sams and Aldi. They stay in the back of my SUV so I never forget them.

In NY we have been paying for bags for 2 years now. I have so many reusable bags in my car.

I’ve been using reusable bags by choice for over a decade and my state started bout six months ago requiring them. I have some for grocery shopping that I wash and some for clothes and non food shopping that I wash less frequently.
I loved it during covid when Wegmans would allow scan and pack while you waited shopped. So I set all my bags up in the cart and as I shopped would pack it in the appropriate bag. Too bad they did away with that due to theft. Oh well…

I don't know of any stores that implemented charging for bags by choice. It's always the government that makes these laws.
Wegmans started charging for bags last in year in PA. PA does not have a law regarding charging for bags.

I’m in NY. Plastic bag ban in effect as of 2020. Most people bring reusable bags (sold in stores for about $1.00). At the grocery store, you can get paper bags for 5 cents a piece. When using the self-checkout, you weigh your empty bags first, before scanning items, or the machine asks at the end how many (paper) bags you used.

Other types of stores also have only paper bags. Some, like drugstores, will ask if you want one and charge a nickel, while others, such as department stores, most clothing stores, Target, etc. provide paper shopping bags free of charge.

I’ve gotten used to it, but always have to remember to put bags back in the car after bringing my purchases in the house.

as of the 1st of January in my city plastic bags are no longer even available to purchase - been charging for them for at least 5 years. Some drug stores have paper bags to purchase but everything from the corner store to grocery stores and clothing stores have reusable bags for sale. We've been using those for decades now, might be a small measure but it's just habit for us now. Cutlery and dishes with take out food have also begun to be replaced. We live in a mid-size city just outside of Toronto Ontario for reference purposes.

Our stores don't mandate bringing your own bags, but we much prefer to take our own and loading them. I also prefer self checkout, and having full control over how my stuff gets packed.

The thing I don't get, at least here, "single use" plastic bags were banned. But they were then quickly replaced with thicker bags. So now instead of the cheap bags they might actually break down in a decade or two thicker bags that will likely never break down are going into the landfill.

Personally I would like to see stores not providing ANY bags. And force everyone to bring in their own reusable bags.

Have your local grocery/retail stores started charging for bags? At the first of the year, our local grocery stores are charging .10 cents per bag. They did give a "deal" on their re-usable bags (charged .10 for a .99 bag). I guess we better pull all those free bags out of the closet! The worst is trying to remember to put them back in car so you have them.
They started charging here in CA in 2014. On occasion a checker might give you a bag without a charge. We keep a supply of bags in the truck of all vehicles, as well as at home and in our RV, so we always have access to a bag or two.

When I lived in California, our local mall no longer used plastic bags. If you didn't have a bag, you'd be charged for a paper one. I moved out of California 6 years ago.

Yep. Costco is the same way. They have never provided bags.
One Super Walmart here about 15 years ago experimented with no bags. That didn't last long. Now they charge 10 cents a bag, for a bag that costs them about a penny.

The state of California has a mandatory minimum 10 cent charge. Several counties had a requirement even before the state. The requirement is also that any plastic bags be reusable and of sufficient strength to last at least 100-125 washings, or paper bags. I haven't seen plastic bags at Trader Joe's in years.

Some cities charge even more. I've been to a few where it's 25 cents.

I've been in a few stores where a clerk just said take it even though I didn't pay for a bag. And restaurants can still provide bags without charging, including paper or plastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter