• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Storage at the adult pools\ chair hogs

dreamer17555

DIS Veteran
So I have been thinking about this since I have been cruising pretty often and maybe what would help deter chair hogs is having some sort of cubby, locker, etc at the adult pool area?

I know for myself I don't want to take up a chair while I am in a pool (and a double dirty eye for those who take up the round loungers while in the pool or hot tub) but there is no place to put my stuff on the dream or fantasy where it won't get wet except a chair. I would be more than happy to have it in a cubby or locker while in the water and use a chair once I am actually using it... Am I the only one?

Would you be good with stuff in a storage space and only grabbing a chair when actually using it?

We would use that. We're not typically sit around in the loungers type of people. We do, however enjoy the hot tub and pool. We end up putting our stuff in a small pile along the wall or behind the one trash/towel bin across from Cove Cafe, but a cubby space would be great! They have them by the Aqua Duck, so it's not like they're totally opposed to having them around.

You have a nice idea but thats not the problem generally. People don't hog chairs because they need a place to put their stuff.
Yeah, people would put their stuff in these lockers/cubbies because there are no empty chairs.

My wife uses a mobility scooter. We usually just put our stuff on that and don't consumer loungers at pools.

The problem is not with guests. The problem is with cruise lines (including Disney) not caring about the issue.

Nobody would hog chairs if personal belongings were removed once in a while.

It sounds like you may be saying when someone is in a pool or hot tub that they should have chairs reserved with your comment of the “double dirty eye”. IMO I have no problem with someone having any type of lounger reserved with their items while they are in the pool. I typically lounge a bit, hop into the pool for 5 minutes, lounge some more, go to the hot tub for about 10 mins, repeat. It would be a terrible hassle to find another place to sit each time.

I do think cruiselines should enforce the no lounge saving. If no one has been seen, their stuff should be moved.

Yeah, people would put their stuff in these lockers/cubbies because there are no empty chairs.

My wife uses a mobility scooter. We usually just put our stuff on that and don't consumer loungers at pools.
What you say maybe helpful but that's not the issue the op was trying to address in the first paragraph. The op was talking about people who use their stuff to hog chairs. From the op who stated "maybe what would help deter chair hogs is having..."
If you are looking for a place to put stuff cubbies may be helpful. If you are looking to hog and not use it for an extended time cubbies won't help.

The problem is not with guests. The problem is with cruise lines (including Disney) not caring about the issue.

On a recent fantasy cruise, the same woman would put a towel and a water bottle on one of the round 2 person chairs in the adult area every single morning. The chair would sit unused until she decided to come to the pool in the afternoon. I asked the pool attendant to move her stuff since the chair was unused most the day. He said it was DCL policy to never remove anything from a lounger if there was a personal item. Since she left a water bottle, they couldn’t clean the chair. Chair hogging is ok with DCL if you leave a personal item.

What you say maybe helpful but that's not the issue the op was trying to address in the first paragraph. The op was talking about people who use their stuff to hog chairs. From the op who stated "maybe what would help deter chair hogs is having..."
If you are looking for a place to put stuff cubbies may be helpful. If you are looking to hog and not use it for an extended time cubbies won't help.
To me it would help. IMO if a chair is vacant longer than 20 minutes staff could move items to a cubby. I also think if the general action by many is not to take a chair until you need it that can impact how others act. People are more likely to behave in things like chair hogging if they see many others doing it as a self justification that they have to act that way because everyone else is.

It sounds like you may be saying when someone is in a pool or hot tub that they should have chairs reserved with your comment of the “double dirty eye”. IMO I have no problem with someone having any type of lounger reserved with their items while they are in the pool. I typically lounge a bit, hop into the pool for 5 minutes, lounge some more, go to the hot tub for about 10 mins, repeat. It would be a terrible hassle to find another place to sit each time.

I do think cruiselines should enforce the no lounge saving. If no one has been seen, their stuff should be moved.

My feeling is that if a chair is not is use for more than 20 minutes that yes if DCL had storage that would be were your stuff should go. If you are really only disappearing for 5-10 minutes then you would be fine but I think most intend to be gone that long and often linger longer than they realize in the pool or hot tub. I think 20 minutes is a good amount of time but that just my opinion.

Chair hogging is ok with DCL if you leave a personal item.
Exactly, DCL doesn't care about the issue. Shareholders are happy when you pay the cruise, not when you have a chair by the pool.
I think 20 minutes is a good amount of time but that just my opinion.
Good question to be honest, how long does it take round-trip from, let's say, Satellite Falls to The District, to get a draft beer that's actually more enjoyable that the Heineken which is the only option for DCL during the European season?

So I have been thinking about this since I have been cruising pretty often and maybe what would help deter chair hogs is having some sort of cubby, locker, etc at the adult pool area?

I know for myself I don't want to take up a chair while I am in a pool (and a double dirty eye for those who take up the round loungers while in the pool or hot tub) but there is no place to put my stuff on the dream or fantasy where it won't get wet except a chair. I would be more than happy to have it in a cubby or locker while in the water and use a chair once I am actually using it... Am I the only one?

Would you be good with stuff in a storage space and only grabbing a chair when actually using it?
If I'm in the pool (still using the area) I don't see a problem with my stuff remaining on the lounger I'm using. It's those people who leave their stuff while they leave "for just a minute" to go get lunch, or if they want to pick up something in one of the shops that shouldn't be leaving their stuff on the loungers that irk me.

If I'm in the pool (still using the area) I don't see a problem with my stuff remaining on the lounger I'm using. It's those people who leave their stuff while they leave "for just a minute" to go get lunch, or if they want to pick up something in one of the shops that shouldn't be leaving their stuff on the loungers that irk me.
I agree if you are actively swimming, on slides, hot tubs etc I think it’s perfectly fine to leave your dry stuff on a chair. We aren’t really sunbathers either. As a family of 4 we will just put all our stuff on 1 chair while we are swimming.

But I agree that if you’re going to be leaving the pool area altogether you need to move your stuff.

And don’t get me started on the people who wake up and throw stuff on chairs and don’t come back for hours. But this isn’t just a dcl issue I’ve seen this behavior at almost any resort/hotel that has a reasonable busy public swim area.

The Magic and Wonder don’t have cubbies, but they have these wooden bench areas around the hot tubs. We often use them to put our stuff down there while in the pool. The problem if you want to use the pool, you do need a space for your coverup and the lanyard for example. I don’t want to put them on the floor. So, some sort of chair it has to be. I am sure many people think like me and those might use a cubbie just as I would.

While I don't agree with leaving belongings on a chair when you don't intend to use it for hours, maybe cruise lines should design ship pool areas that more accurately the number of passengers onboard.

maybe cruise lines should design ship pool areas that more accurately the number of passengers onboard
I'm not sure you could design a ship's pool to accommodate 3000-6000 passengers.

I agree with most people that whether or not there is storage isn't the issue. If you wanted somewhere to put stuff where it wouldn't get wet, you could use a waterproof bag (DCL even provides one as the CC gift right now). I think most people just want to reserve a chair to use all day long regardless of what they're doing right then. That won't be fixed by storage bins. I now wear a swim jacket and pants (no need for a separate cover-up to put somewhere and a zipped pocket to put my room card in) and swim shoes (no need to find somewhere to put my sandals). So I no longer need anywhere to put my stuff. Years ago, a storage cubby might have been useful, but I found my own workaround.

On a recent fantasy cruise, the same woman would put a towel and a water bottle on one of the round 2 person chairs in the adult area every single morning. The chair would sit unused until she decided to come to the pool in the afternoon. I asked the pool attendant to move her stuff since the chair was unused most the day. He said it was DCL policy to never remove anything from a lounger if there was a personal item. Since she left a water bottle, they couldn’t clean the chair. Chair hogging is ok with DCL if you leave a personal item.
I'd have cleared the chair. :D

I'd have cleared the chair. :D
Unfortunately, we had a bad experience with this on a RC cruise when our kids were young. We sat down on some empty loungers by the pool to let our boys eat some ice cream. Unbeknownst to us, the RC pool attendant had just cleared some people’s belongings from those chairs. When they came back, they started yelling at us - saying we had stolen their stuff. It got so bad that the husband tried to start a fist fight with my husband (which he would have lost very badly). We just ended up walking away, but we learned that some people are mentally unstable - I won’t move anyone’s things because of that! That could also be the reason why DCL pool attendants won’t move personal belongings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter