• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stops between Anaheim and South entrance of Yosemite

Mrspeaks

DIS Veteran
We plan to take the day after our Disneyland stay to make our way up to Yosemite and enter the south entrance. To break up the 6+ hour drive, I’m looking for any suggestions of stops along the way. We will try to head out pretty early to hopefully beat some LA traffic.

Bakersfield - 2 hours
Visalia - 3 hours
Fresno - 4 hours

You can stop at Bakerfield or Visalia for a bite to eat. We usually get food in the go so we can get to Yosemite as soon as possible.

They do have some outlets south of Bakersfield. I usually pass through too early to ever go. We typically leave at 5am or earlier.

Oakhurst is 19 miles from the entrance and we always stop for groceries at their large Vons.

If you are doing the drive at night, I recommend spending the night in Fresno and driving into the park in the morning. The road in is pretty brutal AFA car sickness is concerned. Plus, you really want to come through the portal during the day to get that "WOW" factor as you first see the valley.

We plan to take the day after our Disneyland stay to make our way up to Yosemite and enter the south entrance. To break up the 6+ hour drive, I’m looking for any suggestions of stops along the way. We will try to head out pretty early to hopefully beat some LA traffic.

We're planning to do the same as we make our way home from Disneyland later this spring. We want to stop at the General Sherman tree, and then head out to Oakhurst to stay the night, going into Yosemite the next day.

The central valley of California really isn't a big tourist attraction.

Depending on where you are staying, there are stops INSIDE the park to do if you are going into the valley.
1. Mariposa grove of Giant Sequoias
2. Wawona. (Pioneer History Village. I also have fond memories of swimming in the river at the campground, though you can swim a lot in the valley, too.)
3. Multiple major scenic overlooks.

Agree not much to see on this drive (other than lots of fields) , assuming you are heading north via the 5. Harris Ranch has yummy steaks, and is close to an outlet shopping center.

Agree not much to see on this drive (other than lots of fields) , assuming you are heading north via the 5. Harris Ranch has yummy steaks, and is close to an outlet shopping center.
You wouldn't go that way. SR-99 is much quicker and, IMHO, a better drive. We go that way when we head up to the Bay Area. It's a little longer but worth it.

You could ride the train. It's a nice place to stop even if you are just getting out to look. It's at the worst of the car-sickness part of the drive. I know that from experience - we'll leave it at that.
https://ymsprr.com/

Bakersfield - 2 hours
Visalia - 3 hours
Fresno - 4 hours

You can stop at Bakerfield or Visalia for a bite to eat. We usually get food in the go so we can get to Yosemite as soon as possible.

They do have some outlets south of Bakersfield. I usually pass through too early to ever go. We typically leave at 5am or earlier.

Oakhurst is 19 miles from the entrance and we always stop for groceries at their large Vons.
So excited to see your name in a reply Mary Jo!

We're planning to do the same as we make our way home from Disneyland later this spring. We want to stop at the General Sherman tree, and then head out to Oakhurst to stay the night, going into Yosemite the next day.
We might do Sequoia too now. I’d like my daughters to get to see Sequoia trees and I had hoped to do the trails at Yosemite, but if the tram is not back open, I don’t think we could handle the hike. I wish it wasn’t so long of a drive between Sequoia and Yosemite, but we might decide to do that now. I’ll keep watching Yosemite website to see if that tram opens back up.

We might do Sequoia too now. I’d like my daughters to get to see Sequoia trees and I had hoped to do the trails at Yosemite, but if the tram is not back open, I don’t think we could handle the hike. I wish it wasn’t so long of a drive between Sequoia and Yosemite, but we might decide to do that now. I’ll keep watching Yosemite website to see if that tram opens back up.

It's been quite a few years since I've been to this part of California, but from what I remember I was able to visit the Mariposa Grove and see lots of big sequoias without needing a long hike or tram--has something changed?

It's been quite a few years since I've been to this part of California, but from what I remember I was able to visit the Mariposa Grove and see lots of big sequoias without needing a long hike or tram--has something changed?
I believe that the shuttle that got you closer is now closed. I could be wrong, but I’ve read it’s at least 4 miles.

I believe that the shuttle that got you closer is now closed. I could be wrong, but I’ve read it’s at least 4 miles.

Yes, I see what you're talking about on nps.gov and other sites. Either things were a bit different 25+ years ago, or my memory isn't too reliable, or both. :)

[edit--maybe my memory isn't that bad! :o ] :

The Evolution of Preservation:
Between 2015 and May 2018, the Mariposa Grove was closed for major renovations to make tourism less detrimental to the giant sequoias. To lessen the effect of vehicle exhaust, parking has been moved out of the grove to the new Welcome Plaza with a shuttle bus now providing access. Paved roads have been removed and replaced by boardwalks and dirt roads to minimize their effect of damaging the sequoias' shallow root systems.

Last edited:
Trees are definitely more accessible @ Sequoia, but it's not a short detour. It's a little over an hour drive from I-99 (Fresno) to the Sequoia gate - one way. The really easy to see grove is very near the entrance gate though. I would describe Sequoia as the far-more-spread-out version of Yosemite, with far less crowds. Worth seeing, but its not a quick side-trip. Be sure and buy the National Parks pass and get reservations if they are needed (yes that might be a thing).

Trees are definitely more accessible @ Sequoia, but it's not a short detour. It's a little over an hour drive from I-99 (Fresno) to the Sequoia gate - one way. The really easy to see grove is very near the entrance gate though. I would describe Sequoia as the far-more-spread-out version of Yosemite, with far less crowds. Worth seeing, but its not a quick side-trip. Be sure and buy the National Parks pass and get reservations if they are needed (yes that might be a thing).

I've never been to the General Sherman tree before (or Sequoia in general--sorry bad pun)--if we go there, do you think it's still worth going to Mariposa Grove? We're going into Yosemite regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter