Stone Crab Sightings in Cabanas?

MadameMedusa

Earning My Ears
For any Dream passengers cruising since the start of stone crab season this year (October 15th), have you seen any stone crab claws in Cabanas?

I love stone crab claws, but don't really want to have to fight for Palo brunch to get them, so I'm hoping I can score them on the buffet for my November cruise. Anyone have any luck so far this year?

they have crab claws but no stone crab claws. I was on October 20 sailing. hard to get the meat out of but still delicious. they didn't have them every day but once or twice on the cruise.

I just got off the Dream on Sunday. Cabanas had what looked like stone crab claws to me.

I googled them to make sure I knew what a stone crab claw looked like and the ones in Cabanas looked like these
florida-stone-crab.jpg

Yay, those are definitely stone crab claws! Maybe the cruise that departed on the 20th didn't have time to get them on board.

Sandy, at which meals did you see them? I have plans to make, dontcha know. Thanks!!!

Yay, those are definitely stone crab claws! Maybe the cruise that departed on the 20th didn't have time to get them on board.

Sandy, at which meals did you see them? I have plans to make, dontcha know. Thanks!!!
We ate breakfast and lunch at Cabanas everyday of our 3-night cruise (except Castaway Cay day). We also went to the Pirate buffet there. I'm not sure when I saw them, but I'm sure they were there at least once. I stood there for a second trying to decide if it was worth it to get them because they weren't cracked. They had crackers available nearby. In the end I decided it was too much work and too messy.

I think it might have been Nassau day lunch...

I had to take a double take at your title. :magnify: I thought you wanted to know if stone crabs had been sighted at the cabanas on Castaway Cay! :laughing:

It didn't even dawn on me about the restaurant on the Dream. I guess I'm not used to the Cabanas name yet. :rolleyes1

According to the servers in Cabana's they are not stone crabs. I asked because I couldn't believe they would provide them. The last time I bought stone crab it was $29.99 a pound and that was a couple of years ago!! Also stone crab comes out of the shell much easier than the Cabana's crabs, but they are still tasty. The claw part also does not have nearly the meat as stone crab does. I still love them and Cabana's has a great dipping sauce to go with!!

Hmm, they sure look like stone crab claws to me. As long as they have the mustard dipping sauce, I'll be in hog heaven.

Quick math, how many pounds would I have to eat to offset my fare on a 4-night 4C room (just me, one of four in my room)?

Hmm, they sure look like stone crab claws to me. As long as they have the mustard dipping sauce, I'll be in hog heaven.

Quick math, how many pounds would I have to eat to offset my fare on a 4-night 4C room (just me, one of four in my room)?
The picture I posted isn't actually from Cabanas. I did a google search to see if what I saw at the buffet might be stone crab. From what I remember that's what it looked like, but I'm not 100% positive it was stone crab.

Oh yes I agree they do LOOK like stone crab - but trust me, after 3 DREAM cruises - they are NOT. I still love them but you will know in a heartbeat that they aren't the real thing. Ask if in doubt!!

I believe that DCL has Jonah Crabs instead of Stone Crabs. If you Google Jonah Crabs, you will see that the claws do look similar. Stone Crabs are more shiny and smooth (and delicious) in my opinion while Jonah Crabs are more fuzzy (small fine fur of some type) and rougher texture on their shells. Hey...I'll take a crab any way I can get it!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter