Stolen funds!!

I take it as my punishment for using the same password for multiple accounts knowing FULL WELL I shouldn't be doing that. I am now a firm believer and user of a Password Manager. A pain to enter all your accounts (took weeks to do) but what a relief knowing my passwords are unique, 12 - 20 characters longs, and I don't have to remember any of them!
Good advice on using a password manager. In the past I was using a rather secure password that could not be guessed, but I was reusing it on a lot of my online accounts. When my Xbox account was hacked a few years back (thankfully only about $20 in funds in the account and no stored bank info / CC info), I realized my super secure password wasn't so secure when I reuse it in so many online accounts. All it takes is for one website to get hacked and your password is now known against your emailadress.

Switching to a password manager and creating a new secure password for every site helps greatly limit the damage that can be done when a site gets hacked. Obviously, keep your primary password to the manager safe.

Good advice on using a password manager. In the past I was using a rather secure password that could not be guessed, but I was reusing it on a lot of my online accounts. When my Xbox account was hacked a few years back (thankfully only about $20 in funds in the account and no stored bank info / CC info), I realized my super secure password wasn't so secure when I reuse it in so many online accounts. All it takes is for one website to get hacked and your password is now known against your emailadress.

Switching to a password manager and creating a new secure password for every site helps greatly limit the damage that can be done when a site gets hacked. Obviously, keep your primary password to the manager safe.
I've been using OnePassword for several months now and I LOVE IT! It was very time consuming to enter all of my accounts into it but it is well worth the time. I found accounts and passwords I had for several sites that didn't even exist any more or ones that I only used once so I contacted them and asked them to delete my account. One less account and password out there is one less chance of being hacked. Since this happened I've been getting a ton of spam in my email, but that's easily identified and stopped.

I am freaking out. Someone stole the funds from my gift card. I had it linked in the Disney gift card website where I would transfer funds from smaller cards onto this main card. I had $785 on it and now it’s gone!! The only help I got was to email guest services. Then as I pressed the girl on the phone to give me more assistance she transferred me to shop Disney where they sent an alert to the gift card department to get in touch with me.
Transaction history shows the bulk of the money was spent at Disneyland resort. I’ve never been to Disneyland in my life. I’m really worried I won’t get this money back. I can’t believe this happened and now I just have to sit and wait for someone to get in touch with me!

Some of the protocols for passwords now are nuts. I opened an important online account a few months back and they wanted the password to include a symbol, but excluded half the symbols as options.

I am freaking out. Someone stole the funds from my gift card. I had it linked in the Disney gift card website where I would transfer funds from smaller cards onto this main card. I had $785 on it and now it’s gone!! The only help I got was to email guest services. Then as I pressed the girl on the phone to give me more assistance she transferred me to shop Disney where they sent an alert to the gift card department to get in touch with me.
Transaction history shows the bulk of the money was spent at Disneyland resort. I’ve never been to Disneyland in my life. I’m really worried I won’t get this money back. I can’t believe this happened and now I just have to sit and wait for someone to get in touch with me!
Last November I purchased an egift card from Shop Disnsy. I just recently went to check the balance and they told me it was on a fraudulent list and even thou the full amount is on the card I can't use it. No one will help me with this. They took my 300 dollars and they won't let me use the card or tell me why it's on a fraudulent list.

I am so happy you got your funds back and I honestly didn't think that would happen, but so glad it did!

However, I am brand new to using the Disney GC, since my dd purchased an electronic one for me for Christmas.
I learned from here to get an actual card, put funds on it and then transfer my electronic "card" to the actual card. I've actually done
this now about 3 times. BUT, if I hadn't read this thread, I would have kept all the cards online, especially the one with the funds.

Thank you all and OP for the information to take down the cards after the funds have been transferred.

Last November I purchased an egift card from Shop Disnsy. I just recently went to check the balance and they told me it was on a fraudulent list and even thou the full amount is on the card I can't use it. No one will help me with this. They took my 300 dollars and they won't let me use the card or tell me why it's on a fraudulent list.
Did they ask you for any kind of proof of purchase? Get your emails and receipts together and call back.

Oh no!! That makes no sense being you purchased from shop Disney though? Did you email Disney gift card guest services? That’s what they directed me to do.

Just curious, suppose I get 4 $50 gift cards, put them on the DGCsite to combine them into one $200 card, then delete them all. If I then receive two more $50 gift cards, can I then put the $200 card back in to combine them all into a $300 card. Or is it once I delete it, I cannot reenter it?

Just curious, suppose I get 4 $50 gift cards, put them on the DGCsite to combine them into one $200 card, then delete them all. If I then receive two more $50 gift cards, can I then put the $200 card back in to combine them all into a $300 card. Or is it once I delete it, I cannot reenter it?
You can re-enter and delete a card number as many times as you want.

I'm still waiting on an e gift card from shopdisney from mid-May. I have a real love-hate thing about gift cards.

Three days before we left for WDW there was a Chase promo for $5 off $50. No brainer right? So I ordered four e-gift cards, one for each Chase account. Three showed up and the fourth did not.

Yesterday I was able to get someone at shopdisney to acknowledge that they emailed it to the wrong email address, yet I'm still waiting for it to be emailed to me. It is much safer IMO to have a hard card mailed to you!

UPDATE: The gift card showed up yesterday almost a month after I bought it!

:badpc:

Last edited:
That is a heart breaking to read this. Good heads up to on how to try to avoid this from happening. thank you for sharing this.

Reactions: ;-)
OP, Sorry this happened to you. I have always kept my virtual cards in the Disney Gift Card app, but now I see that is not a good idea. While I have done this for years I will download the balances on physical cards And delete it from my account. Thanks for the info and sorry again.

Last edited:
I take it as my punishment for using the same password for multiple accounts knowing FULL WELL I shouldn't be doing that. I am now a firm believer and user of a Password Manager. A pain to enter all your accounts (took weeks to do) but what a relief knowing my passwords are unique, 12 - 20 characters longs, and I don't have to remember any of them! I'm still not comfortable using my email for gift card delivery. I order gift cards in the mail, not e-cards. And as soon as I have a gift card with the max of $1000 on it, I call Disney and apply it to my reservation. That way the funds can't be stolen. As for my Target account, the thief told Target they didn't receive certain items, and I received the refund because they were purchased with my Target debit card. That's a laugh! Of course I immediately called my bank and Target about the fraud.

I encourage anyone to check the website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your emails or phone numbers have been included in a data breach. I now know that I was in a data breach between 3 and 5 years ago. It could take that long for your info to be sold and used. I hope everyone is more security conscience than me and would know enough to change your passwords regularly. I didn't do that.
My debit card was recently hacked. Apparently it was related to the Wegman's data breach last year. Make sure you have alerts set to anything over a dollar and to notify you if your card is declined as well. I was able to catch the notice within a minute and lock my card (which should have been locked anyway...) Makes sense since a cc I also used a lot there has been hacked at least twice in the last year.

Also close any rarely used cc's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter