Stimulus Checks: Spend or Save

I am not spending it now, but when we are released from house arrest I will. The things I would buy I can’t buy while the non essential businesses are closed. I had already moved some cash from savings to checking before they started talking about a stimulus payment, so I would be prepared for emergencies. So this will go back in savings for a few weeks until I can really use it for practical things I need.

The day we are allowed freedom we are going to our local appliance store (a regional chain) and buying a new stove with some of the money. This whole being forced to cook thing has made me realize just how inconsistently one of my 2 “working” burners actually works. Should my husband (currently essential but could be impacted by later fallout) lose his job down the road, we will need a fully functional stove.

Putting the $500 for both younger kids in their savings. They can stimulate the economy in a couple of years when they need a vehicle.

Hanging onto mine and DH’s in the event older DD needs help with rent and/or help her come home once her lease is up if the world hasn’t opened back by then.

We aren't getting anything and I'm kind of glad. We don't need it, and I don't know what we'd do with it. I'd feel like we ought to spend it but there's no place open to spend it. I don't want to eat takeout any more than we already are for health reasons, and I don't enjoy shopping online. So I guess it's just as well we're not getting a check!

We're spending pretty actively now, carefully -- but it never seems to stop!, with grocery deliveries, Amazon, tips, etc. Our check will be put in savings to be spent later, bit by bit, once non-essential businesses open back up.

The day we are allowed freedom we are going to our local appliance store (a regional chain) and buying a new stove with some of the money. This whole being forced to cook thing has made me realize just how inconsistently one of my 2 “working” burners actually works. Should my husband (currently essential but could be impacted by later fallout) lose his job down the road, we will need a fully functional stove.
If you have some basic DIY skills, you should be able to replace the burner yourself. One of the burners on our flat top stove went out last year. A replacement burner on Amazon was $50. Took <30 minutes to swap out.

If you have some basic DIY skills, you should be able to replace the burner yourself. One of the burners on our flat top stove went out last year. A replacement burner on Amazon was $50. Took <30 minutes to swap out.

In some cases it isn't the burner that is broken, but it is the burner that is impacted.

Cleaning a burner's air valves out with a paper clip, pipe cleaner, or fine gauged wire is a thing of beauty.

Never needed to replace a burner but did the electronic mother board(?). I almost turned the range into an expensive paperweight by removing the glass back unnecessarily but some silicone fixed that fine, thank goodness.

Paying my husband’s truck off, giving $500 to my teenage son since he has not been working his part time job and the rest will go into savings.

We got our money yesterday. We had planned to save it but our refrigerator went out on Easter so we are getting a new refrigerator with our money.

We are not getting a check and I actually "gave" the government money today via the IRS.
That's me, I'm a giver.
(not upset about not getting a check - just a tad annoyed that I continue to owe money when each year I take out extra to account for owing - yet its never enough)

Same situation here. Our checks will cover all of our taxes owed but not much else. This is even with no withholding exemptions AND having extra money from every paycheck deducted.

I got my $2200 today. Added to my emergency fund as I am debt free. Blessed to be a nurse working FT.
I haven't received a check yet, but -- yes -- I am blessed to be working from home and receiving full pay.
But no $500 for DS17 HS senior; he's beat. Like he hasn't been kicked enough this year :)
Yeah, I have a college senior, and she's also not getting a check and isn't working her part-time job -- but I get to keep paying for an apartment in her college town through July, even though she's home - no such thing as subletting a college-town apartment for the summer this year! When we get a check, it'll help us keep paying for that empty apartment.

The real kick in the butt: She didn't want to leave the dorms, her roommate didn't want to leave the dorms (they went in as community college transfers, so had only lived in the dorms one year), but they "didn't make lottery". Dorm students were refunded for the portion of the semester after the university closed /went to online learning.

Oh well -- I shouldn't complain -- other people have it much worse. Much, much worse.

A stove isn't considered essential? :eek:

Half of ours is in savings because I may need to take off from work soon. My current job stocking shelves is not worth risking my hubs health for. The rest we spent and spent preemptively in anticipation. I bought some things from small artists on Etsy, hubs bought some model kits from some comic shop online sellers and importers. The remainder sadly went to a very sudden emergency veterinarian bill from the fifth. Two of the pets got in a tussle and one needed stitches. Sounds easy right? Well because of his size, species (Rat), and the need for special sedation the bill was 450$. 😞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter