Stimulus check and college kids - who gets it

DisFam95

DIS Veteran
My son has asked about his check? He’s an 18yr old college freshman that has all his expenses covered. I keep explaining he’s a dependent and that’s his contribution to the “family total”. He showed me an article talking about who was eligible to get a check and college kids was listed etc.

He said some of his friends were getting checks from their parents.
Any other college age dependents asking for “their” money or am I off the mark here?

My son has asked about his check? He’s an 18yr old college freshman that has all his expenses covered. I keep explaining he’s a dependent and that’s his contribution to the “family total”. He showed me an article talking about who was eligible to get a check and college kids was listed etc.

Any other college age dependents asking for “their” money or am I off the mark here?

My kids aren't that old yet but I'd be quick to tell my oldest that he could absolutely have his check as soon as he picked up the rest of his expenses. The checks were issued from your tax money, it's not free, we all payed for it(and will for a long time). You're getting a check FOR him because he's a dependent, it's to help YOU out because he costs you a lot.

my college aged daughters check will be deposited into my account but I will transfer her portion right over to her.

If he is legally a dependent ( you are paying for more than 50% of his expenses) and you are claiming him on your tax returns then the stimulus is yours. If he is independent and filing his own taxes then the money is his.

If you get the stimulus for him it is up to you to share the money with him or not.

We have 3 college kids for whom we pay all health expenses and insurance and auto insurance and repairs and cell phone bills and income taxes owed (because of scholarships) and $ on student loans for one of them.. We are also paying for a family Disney trip.

They know that we cover these expenses. So far none are asking for 'their' portion.

My 18yo would know better than to ask us for 'his' money out of our impending third stimulus which calculates him into our total. Because he knows he'd be laughed right out of our zip code.

Mine is, but he won't be getting it. Yes, I've heard the same about his friends etc. I explained that he's a dependent...if he were living on his own, paying his own bills, thst obviously he'd be getting it, but that's not the case. He's a dependent, the end of the conversation for us.

my college aged daughters check will be deposited into my account but I will transfer her portion right over to her.
Does she pay for her own cost of living? Is she like a real independent adult who's responsible for paying for her own life expenses? If so, than I absolutely think she would be entitled to it, however if mom/dad is paying for everything or most things, than I don't get why that money (which is being given because of the cost of that child) should go to a person not paying for their own life expenses.

Does she pay for her own cost of living? Is she like a real independent adult who's responsible for paying for her own life expenses? If so, than I absolutely think she would be entitled to it, however if mom/dad is paying for everything or most things, than I don't get why that money (which is being given because of the cost of that child) should go to a person not paying for their own life expenses.

Because some people want to give their kid that money? It’s fine to not give it to them if they aren’t entitled to it, but if a parent wants to do so out of generosity, why would you care that they choose to do so? Nobody is saying a parent *has* to give it to them if it’s deposited in the parent’s account, but they can certainly choose to give it to their kid if they want.

We claim our 21 year old college student as a dependent and he is getting this 3rd stimulus. We get the direct deposit on the 17th. I have already given him a check for $1400.

It wouldn't have mattered. If we kept it, it would go to their expenses. If we gave it to them, we would have reduced what we were giving them accordingly when we worked out who was paying what. So nice that stimulus meant they could pay for their own xyz!

I don't think she'd ever think to ask. We pay for everything, minus scholarships. Room, board, utilities, car & insurance, health expenses, cell phone, tuition, fees, books, etc. We are not handing the $1400 over. Believe me, it will be gone in no time.

We have a 19 year old son in college, lives at home. We pay all of his expenses. He is a good student, works part time and gives us no trouble at all. We told him he could have his money, if we get one for him. While he has it, we will not be giving him any extra money, like we do now.

Edit: He said that he is going to put $1,000, in his savings account.

Last edited:
if my 19 year old college student gets hers (dependant, lives at home while in school) then will will allow her to spend a small bit, but the vast majority is going into her savings account. for school and dance expsenses.

We claim Dd19 on our taxes, but it’s pretty close, she pays rent and food, but we pay healthcare, car insurance, phone, and all of her expenses when she lives at home. I don’t think we are getting anything anyway, do just dd24 and ds22 will get it.

He will get it knowing that the financial institution known as the Bank of Mom and Dad is closed for the foreseeable future unless an emergency. This year he opted out of a food plan as the options were restricted due to the pandemic. As a result, we have augmented incidental expenses that would have been covered by his part time job.

Our oldest soon to be 18 in the fall has already asked. With child credits dropping off at 17 in 2020, no 2nd stimulus credit for them, we’re making them file independent for 2021. They said ok.

Clearly they won’t be independent for a couple years to come with us providing shelter, food, cell phone, transportation, possible supplementing for college, etc. We just look at these expenses as gift tax, which is $15,000 a year. The above expenses for oldest won’t exceed that. Heck 17 years old has been more expensive with senior year, braces, and wisdom teeth removal added in with child credits dropping off still as a minor child.

With them turning 18, we’ve decided since day 1 that they’ll have some skin in the game like we did when we became 18. Truly the fact is they are a good kid, we’re happy to provide, and give them a give them a leg up as they enter adulthood as we taper off our financial support.

Ultimately the $1400 is more life changing for them then us. Plus part of being an adult is learning how to be a good steward of finances.

Well now I am confused. We claimed Dd22 on 2019 taxes because she was in college and she filed 2020 because she is on her own and we have not filed yet. Guess we will find out if we get hers. DS18 is in college and still a dependent but needs to file for the first time for 2020 so who knows what will happen with his too.

My kids aren't that old yet but I'd be quick to tell my oldest that he could absolutely have his check as soon as he picked up the rest of his expenses. The checks were issued from your tax money, it's not free, we all payed for it(and will for a long time). You're getting a check FOR him because he's a dependent, it's to help YOU out because he costs you a lot.
This. Exactly right. Mine would know not to even ask such a question. (they're older now, so they get and deal with their own money)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter