Still better to go through main entrance to DCA on MM vs GCH entrance?

WendyWhy

Mouseketeer
We stay at GCH every other year - and we almost always use the main entrance into DCA on our MM. The prevailing wisdom was always that the GCH entrance gets backed up and ends up being a longer wait. Still true? Thanks in advance!

It was true the last time I stayed there about 10 months ago. I actually asked when I checked in and was told that if I didn't want to line up very early, to go through the main entrance.

I agree with Cruisehopeful . Just want to clarify for readers, Those staying at any of the three Resort hotels get what`s called Extra Magic Hour each day of their stay for Sun , Mon, Wed, Fri for DCA and Tue, Thur , and Sat for DL. . That`s how it is displayed on Disney`s calendar . MM , Magic Morning, comes with multi day tickets and is only for DL for one day ,either Tue . Thur , or Sat.

It was much longer last time we went to go through GC than main entrance. I was so hoping with the new hotel it would have a monorail entrance, but such is life, that dream is dead now.

We accidentally headed that way one morning on our trip, and the line to get in snaked back to the Grand sliding doors and into the hotel. Maingate for Magic Mornings....

We just got back tonight. We did check one morning , and the line was long at the GCH entrance. We went to the main entrance through DTD, and there was no one at security, so we breezed through. Main gate is the way to go, IMO. It seems like it would not be worth the extra walking, but remember that one breakdown in the security line or the ticket line will stop the entire line since there are only two security/bag check people and 2-3 ticket takers at the GCH entrance. In the morning, it can be really slow!

stupid question then: isn't the point of gch to have better access? I just booked 2019 looking for convenience but sounds like you don't get better access afterall. what am i missing here?

Just avoid the GCH`s DCA entrance at park opening. The rest of the time it is really convenient

stupid question then: isn't the point of gch to have better access? I just booked 2019 looking for convenience but sounds like you don't get better access afterall. what am i missing here?
Coming in and out of the park throughout the day is easy. Only at park opening is it slower. If you want to line up an hour before the park opens, you will be near the front. Personally, I walk the extra 3 mins and use the front gate first thing in the morning.

Overall, you will have much better access. It is only at park opening that what appears to be half of the hotel is in line to enter DCA via the hotel entrance. An hour after park opening and the rest of the day, you'll have the benefit of entering/exiting through there.

We just got back Sunday and we did it both ways... we were right by the DCA entrance (Napa Rose elevators) so found that it was still more convenient to go through DCA entrance. But I think it’s sort of the luck of the draw when you get there. We never waited long but I did see blips of time where it was longer. We generally were there 15-20 minutes before early open time.

QQ, would it ever be more convenient to enter through the GCH entrance to go to Disneyland?

Starting from GCH lobby and going to the Esplanade, with all things being equal on security lines and crowds it is the exact same time if you go through DTD or enter DCA and cut through that park. Being curious, we timed it out a while back both ways.

Last edited:

It can be a convenience in the morning, if you are a very early riser. The rest of the day, having the DCA entrance/exit is awesome. My family will ride Grizzly Rapids at the end of the night (until it closes), then they are back to the room in minutes, without walking down Harbor wet and cold. The entrance to the middle of DTD is nice when you want to go grab a bite to eat and go back to your room, or head off to DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter