Steubenville OH case, anyone hear of this?

jeepgirl30

DIS Veteran
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ual-assault-victim-she-is-so-raped-right-now/

This makes me so angry, sick and sad. I can't believe how many kids witnessed this and did NOTHING. How can you watch this and not think something is wrong?

My kids are 12 and 10. I want to talk them and tell my DD how careful she needs to me every moment and tell my DS how he needs to step in and help someone like this and never to turn a blind eye. Yet it is so horrible and they are so young to go into the details.

I can't imagine what this poor girl will face in her recovery, how do you get past something like this?

How are there kids raised to have no feeling or compassion for another human being? I don't get it...the hero worshiping of high school football players is another mystery to me. And the boys have the nerve to publicize what was done all over social media, like they are proud of it! Screwed up values, mixed with underage drinking = many ruined lives. Poor girl...

I'm in NE OH and it's on the news here.

It is very sad to think so many stood around and didn't report it. How would any of them feel if it happened to a member of their family? :(

One good thing. Even if juvenile court gives them a slap of the hand, it is on the internet for anyone to see. Their actions will live forever on the internet, long after the courts seal their juvenile record.

TC :cool1:

I am vaguely aware of the situation but I haven't really read too many details about it. What I do know certainly sounds outrageous.

I'm in NE OH and it's on the news here.

It is very sad to think so many stood around and didn't report it. How would any of them feel if it happened to a member of their family? :(

One good thing. Even if juvenile court gives them a slap of the hand, it is on the internet for anyone to see. Their actions will live forever on the internet, long after the courts seal their juvenile record.

Unfortunately the girl is all over the internet too. It sort of reminds me of Amanda Todd, how will this girl ever escape it? She is not being named but I am sure every person in that school knows who it is.

This is local news to me. I have been following it since it happened in August. I am mad, sad, disgusted, etc... I didn't look at the particular link posted here, but the there is a video posted of a boy laughing and making fun of what is happening (reportedly as it was happening). It is one of the most vile things I've ever seen. There are so many questions about local law enforcement and school staff as well. It's just disgusting all around.

jeepgirl30 said:
She is not being named but I am sure every person in that school knows who it is.

The victim is actually from a neighboring town and goes to a different school. Unfortunately, I think Steubenville and her home town are all aware of who she is though.

I read an article about it. :( The article actually had a picture of the girl (with her face blurred) being held and carried by two guys using her wrists and ankles. There seems to be a lot of evidence. I think all people involved should be prosecuted. Also all those that knew what was going on and didn't do a thing to stop it are culpable and should be held accountable.

Hard to believe after the debacle of Penn State, anybody would try a cover up of any kind. But something definitely seems amiss with this case.

I am just sick at my stomach right now! This is horrible...... Horrible! I just can't imagine why these boys think it is okay to do this and just as horrible is the young man laughing and joking about it! Deplorable!

I'm from Ohio as well so I've heard a lot about it and it makes me rage so much. All of the back room deals to have charges dropped make me sick. The things I have read on the Abdalla guy are awful - arresting a woman 2 years ago for her kids getting sunburned and telling a 1995 rape victim that she was just out "asking for a good time" when witnesses reported her screaming no repeatedly. For those who don't know about the case, read the localleaks.blogs.ru that breaks down the case and those involved. There is so much to the case and so many people involved, yet only two have been charged.

I read something the other night about how women tend to live in constant fear of being attacked, even if they don't realize it. How many of us make sure to hold our keys perfectly while walking across a parking lot in case we need a weapon, or lock the doors immediately when you get into the car? We can't leave alcoholic beverages unattended or leave windows open without the possibility of something happening. It's not fair.

Does anyone have any more news on this? I still not seeing a lot on the national news. I wish there was more coverage on this. I really wish the government is looking into the handling of this case by the local authorities.

Does anyone have any more news on this? I still not seeing a lot on the national news. I wish there was more coverage on this. I really wish the government is looking into the handling of this case by the local authorities.
Until this goes to court, I don't know that you're going to find more coverage... especially nationally.

The guardians of one of the accused boys and his lawyer were on NBC Today this morning. Wasnt paying attention but it is getting national attention.

Unfortunately the girl is all over the internet too. It sort of reminds me of Amanda Todd, how will this girl ever escape it? She is not being named but I am sure every person in that school knows who it is.

Unfortunately, her life will never be the same. I'm just glad that the jerks that did this will have their lives changed forever too!

Here's an article about the case and the 18 year old guy that was laughing while the crime was being committed. It also has a picture of the girl being carried (face blurred).

This case has international attention. It does have some parallels to the case in India where the young woman was raped by a gang and died. People want answers and justice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-laughing-fate-16-year-old-apologises.html

Timeline of the case so far:

January 5, 2013
Timeline of the case

by Steubenville Facts

-August 11-12, 2012. The incident that began this case occurred.

-August 14, 2012. The incident was reported to Steubenville Police.

-August 16, 2012. Electronic devices of people who potentially had knowledge of the incident were taken, pursuant to search warrants.

-August 17, 2012. Steubenville Police request technical and investigative support from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation “BCI” (a state agency supervised by the Ohio Attorney General). At the request of Steubenville Police, BCI expedited the evidence analysis. The analysis involved uncovering and reviewing tens of thousands of emails, texts, and photos from approximately a dozen electronic devices. The vast majority of such data was unrelated to the case. Investigators and forensic examiners never found any video of the alleged crime.

-August 22, 2012. Based on the investigation of the Steubenville Police, two juvenile males were arrested and charged. Their names are Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond. Suspects remained in juvenile detention until November 1, 2012 when the Visiting Judge (from outside the county) assigned to the case placed the suspects on home arrest.

-August 28, 2012. County Prosecuting Attorney delegates her authority to special prosecutors from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

-August 30, 2012. Steubenville Police meet with the special prosecutors.

-The Juvenile Court trial in this case is scheduled for February 13, 2013. Circumstances surrounding media and public access to that trial are controlled by the Visiting Judge.

The guardians of one of the accused boys and his lawyer were on NBC Today this morning. Wasnt paying attention but it is getting national attention.

I watched part of that today. I might check out the whole thing on the Today website because the vibe I got from the guardians was that they were in denial. He was really a nice boy and all that. And while he "might" have been one of the boys in the picture of the girl being carried by her wrists/ankles that does really tell the whole story. Um, ok.

Just last night, it was on AC 360, Nancy Grace, Dr. Drew, and even Inside Edition. I'm not sure if their websites have the shows online or not.

I watched part of that today. I might check out the whole thing on the Today website because the vibe I got from the guardians was that they were in denial. He was really a nice boy and all that. And while he "might" have been one of the boys in the picture of the girl being carried by her wrists/ankles that does really tell the whole story. Um, ok.

When the lawyer said, "I know thiis boy, he's a nice kid." I changed the channel; not getting any truth from this report, eh? My son and his friends are 16-19. Parents of girls and boys alike are using this as a teaching moment. Thank goodness we're not directly involved but knowing these kids, some of them trying alcohol and pot, they could be in a place where something like this was happening-easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter