Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

Total time frame for 2 contracts/deeds was 32 days, with a cost of $55.40 (I sent them $67.40 because I wasn't sure about paying for the names so I wanted to be sure - not sure I'll get a refund, but I don't care lol - it was A LOT cheaper doing it this way).
Glad this worked out for you. Congratulations!

Alternatively - my friend is following this process and sent DVC member administration all the paperwork on February 11. Last week he reached out again to find the status and was told it would be taken care of by the end of the week. Today he sent another email and is waiting for a reply.
I guess it depends whose desk these end up on??? :eek:

Quick update: Activation email from DVC arrived on 3/31/22. so it took 7 weeks for DVC member administration to receive the documents they needed and change the membership accordingly. There was no status communication from them during that time

Quick update: Activation email from DVC arrived on 3/31/22. so it took 7 weeks for DVC member administration to receive the documents they needed and change the membership accordingly. There was no status communication from them during that time

Crazy the time difference in one from another. Glad they got everything done though.

Thank you for this. If I add my adult children to one of my contracts will that contract no longer show up with my other contracts? Example if I own three February contracts and add my kids names to one of the three February use year contracts - will I need a new login for the one I add my kids names to? Will I be able to mix points from the three contracts as I have been doing or I will not be able to because the names are not the same on the three contracts? Will I need a new login for the account with my adult kids? So sorry for so many questions trying to figure this out

Last edited:

Thank you for this. If I add my adult children to one of my contracts will that contract no longer show up with my other contracts? Example if I own three February contracts and add my kids names to one of the three February nine years will I need a new login for the one I add my kids names to? Will I be able to mix points from the three contracts as I have been doing or I will not be able to because the names are not the same on the three contracts? Will I need a new login for the account with my adult kids? So sorry for soany questions trying to figure this out
You will still have one login into the website. However, you will now have two "member numbers" shown on many of the screens. When making a reservation you will have to choose which "member number" you are using, the one with your kids or the other one with two contracts without the kids. As far as mixing points, no or kinda. Because the points are on contracts under different member ID's, you can't easily use them on a reservation. What you have to do is transfer the points from one member ID to the other. Then under that member ID you can use them on a single reservation. Transferring points is limited to one per year (in or out) per member ID (contract). I have read on the boards transferring points to yourself doesn't count??? There are also rules around banking and borrowing with points before and after transferring. Additionally, transferred points won't show on the dashboard under the new or old membership, but they will show when you go to select which points you are using to make a reservation with the "transferred to membership". Finally, you need to call MS to transfer points. It definitively adds effort to managing points and you will need to learn the rules around the process. It can be done, and for us it was worth the effort, but there is some more planning and tracking involved. Hope this helps.....

Thank you for this. If I add my adult children to one of my contracts will that contract no longer show up with my other contracts? Example if I own three February contracts and add my kids names to one of the three February nine years will I need a new login for the one I add my kids names to? Will I be able to mix points from the three contracts as I have been doing or I will not be able to because the names are not the same on the three contracts? Will I need a new login for the account with my adult kids? So sorry for soany questions trying to figure this out

You will see them all but will have a new membership as the owners are different.

The kids will only see the one they own when they set up their own accounts.

You will no longer be able to use the points together for a single reservation without a transfer because they won’t be in the same membership anymore. Transfer require a call to MS

The other option will be to book some nights on one and some on the other.

I submitted our deed and documents to add myself to my mom's contract on 3/24. Still haven't heard anything. I have a trip planned next weekend and again in mid-June...hoping it will at least get done by the June date!

I submitted our deed and documents to add myself to my mom's contract on 3/24. Still haven't heard anything. I have a trip planned next weekend and again in mid-June...hoping it will at least get done by the June date!
It doesn't hurt to call member services or your guide to let them know you have an upcoming trip you'd like to catch. Maybe they can speed things up. I would follow it with an email to member admin with that same information.

I got the updated form from DVC and the form has changed a bit. I can not see way to attach the form, they sent me in email not link. One major change seem you can only put one contract per form instead of the old form that you can put in up to 4 per membership. That will be pain for me. I will look to see if they have link of the form also.

Update: I just uploaded the document, seems no way to download it from DVC.
Do you notice that it says all reservations must be completed or cancelled?

It said that when I did my transfer. But since I was just adding a name it wasn't an issue. We had reservations on the books when the transfer went through and had no issues.

I appreciate all the time and effort experienced DIS members give to thoughtfully and thoroughly answer questions on these boards. They have been an *invaluable* resource for my recent gratuitous transfer and I want to give back to the community. Some of the extremely helpful threads are more than 6 years old and there have been some changes in procedure. I also noticed many questions with answers that have good information sprinkled throughout many discussions and thought it would simplify things to have everything pulled together on one thread. Incredibly, my process from start to finish was 21 days!

1. Submit a Request to Change Title to Member Administration. "A completed Request to Change Title form will serve as notice of your request to transfer ownership interests; does not require notarization and is a request for a Waiver of the Right of First Refusal to be issued. DVD will notify the Owner in writing within the 30-day notice period." The form can be found here and scanned/emailed:

This is strictly a formality for a gratuitous transfer and shouldn't present a problem. Please be VERY careful to make sure you list the names exactly as you want them to appear as the 'grantees' on the new deed. They MUST match. Include any/all of the previous owners plus any new ones. You do NOT need the legal description of the property anymore; just your contract number and resort name. Only one member signature is required and it does not need to be notarized.

2. While waiting on the ROFR prepare your deed. I think this is what intimidates most people when it is really very simple. Use your existing deed as a template. I am not an attorney and don't play one on TV. Seek legal advice if you have any questions or concerns about preparing your own deed. This primer is my experience only. (Edited to add: Use the link in Step 6 to search for your deed: type your last name in the 'either party' box and then click on the advance search tab and put 'disney' in the legal remarks box.) You will be changing the following items from your current deed:
  1. The "prepared by" area to yourself
  2. The date of execution
  3. The grantor(s) - these are the names of the grantees from the previous deed
  4. The grantees - these are the names you are adding plus those you are keeping AND must match EXACTLY the names you put on the ROFR Waiver request
  5. The amount of consideration (*see below)
  6. Create a new area for signatures, witnesses, and notary.
  7. Final check: See Fl. deed requirements and make sure your deed ticks all the boxes. If you are using your old deed as template, you should be Gucci (in the words of my son). One note: the notary stamp must be inked NOT a seal. Reports are that OCC may record a deed with mistakes but Disney will reject it.

*The consideration paragraph: This should read $10.00 as this is a legal standard indicating a gratuitous transfer. Disney recognizes this as such and it will NOT trigger your transfer as a 'sale' with loss of any member benefits that may be grandfathered. If you haven't included a consideration paragraph in your deed, OCC instructions are to write "consideration $10.00" on the top left of the deed. This now replaces the need to prepare the document stamp statement. Thank you to @DaniPoppins for reporting this!

Sidebar|Deed:
Two of the most common ways to hold a deed are "Tenants In Common" and "Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship". Educate yourself on the difference and decide if you still want to title your new deed in the same way as the original.

If you are changing the name of an original deed holder on the new deed, such as changing a maiden name to a married one, on the advice of our attorney we included 'fka' (formerly known as) ie "Jane Doe fka Jane Fawn"

Your grantees on the deed must match EXACTLY the grantees listed on DVC's ROFR Waiver.
I can't stress this enough. I caught a mistake on Disney's part in my waiver. I called and they were very gracious and emailed a corrected waiver right away. If I had not caught it, she said it would have been bounced back - adding to the process time.

3. Receive your ROFR Waiver from Disney. Per Member Administration: As of July 1, 2018 Disney does NOT require a waiver to be recorded and you will not receive one. Your packet will have a 2 pg. letter stating their ROFR and instructions. There will also be a 2 pg. New Owner Information form and a 1 pg. contact information sheet. Your boilerplate letter may have a footnoted enclosures list that includes a waiver. As of 8/8 they had not corrected that and there will be NO waiver included.

4. Send your deed and your check* to:
Orange County Controller
109 E. Church St.
Suite 300
Orlando, FL 32801​

Sidebar|Address:
The address I included is a physical address for their overnight mail. It was given to me by the very nice woman I spoke to in the OCC office. They have a PO Box that is listed on the website as the address to send your paperwork but this physical address works and will probably expedite your recording time.

Sidebar|Be Kind:
The same very nice woman I spoke to in the office said they really appreciate a self addressed, stamped envelope to return the deed
although this is not required. I think they really do because my deed was recorded within 24 hours of delivery ;)

*Your check should be made to Orange County Controller. You will need an amount consisting of .70 for the doc stamp, 18.50 for a 2 pg. deed (10.00 for the first page, 8.50 for each additional page), and $1.00 per name for the total number of names over 4. In my case I had 2 grantors and 5 grantees for a total of 7. So an additional $3 for a total of $22.20. Interesting sidebar: The OCC is allowed to accept a check for up to $10 over the amount owed. If you are unsure or want to make sure you don't get your paperwork returned for insufficient payment - include a few dollars more :)Edited to add: make sure your check has your address printed on it or everything will be returned! thank you for reporting @csmommy

5. Watch the OCC website (or wait for your deed to come in the mail). We were in a time crunch for new memberships to use for a reservation so I didn't want to wait on snail mail. They start recording deeds at 7am. Search by name OR I searched by day - I was prepared to search everyday, several times a day after I saw that my tracked priority envelope was delivered. :) I was able to find my deed within an hour of it being recorded. It said it was "in process" but when I clicked on 'image' it showed the full deed with the stamp and I was able to download it. Here is the link to the OCC search page:

6. Scan your recorded deed and your New Owner Information form into a .pdf file and email to Member Administration.

7. PHEW!!!! Take a deep breath and wait for your welcome letter by email and your new membership card by snail mail.

*A word about Florida mail. If you need to expedite your process, I recommend spending some extra $ and use a priority mail envelope to send your deed to the OCC office. First class mail to Florida is known to take longer than usual.

A few 'membership extras' - ha!***
-a gratuitous transfer will NOT affect an existing reservation. I was holding my breath and the excellent veterans on this board talked me off the ledge. Happy to report reservation is intact.

- a gratuitous transfer will NOT affect your membership privileges that are grandfathered with your resale contract (if any).

-edited to add from @bumbershoot
"having your dues paid monthly totally counts as being paid in full with dues. So for those of us who do the monthly payments, do not panic that you need to pay it all. You are considered paid in full if you have the bank draft going on.
(the panic was my experience 2 years ago, and knowing that it counts and is FINE is my experience recently)"

My timeline:
7/30 Scanned and emailed ROFR Waiver Request to Member Administration
8/8 Received ROFR Waiver from Disney (snail mail)
8/9 Mailed deed to OCC by priority mail
8/14 Deed Recorded at OCC
8/14 Scanned/Emailed official deed and New Owner Information to Member Administration
8/20 Got the "Welcome Home" email from Disney

***These are my experiences only. I am not an attorney and I am not providing legal advice. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. For specific information on how a gratuitous transfer may affect your membership you should corroborate with Member Services. We all know how things can change with Disney.***
Hello! So this would be the process if I wanted to add my children on the deed when they turn 18?? Thanks!!

If you transferring the contract, then this applies as you are not retaining ownership any longer and a new membership number is created.

If you are just adding owners, and you remain one, it is fine. My did not go away when we added my adult kids to my Aug UY.

If we wanted to change our deed into our trust will that mess everything up? Will we lose our blue card?

If you transferring the contract, then this applies as you are not retaining ownership any longer and a new membership number is created.

If you are just adding owners, and you remain one, it is fine. My did not go away when we added my adult kids to my Aug UY.

I can confirm this. As long as you are adding names and not removing yours, everything stays intact. My in laws added my husband and myself to two of their deeds and nothing was affected. I was VERY nervous because we started the process and then several people said that the reservations (we had three reservations and one waitlist) would be cancelled when they changed the deeds/contracts because the membership numbers changed (my in laws have 4 deeds/contracts, only added us to 2, so now they have 2 different membership numbers). I chatted with member services and was assured that nothing would happen to the current reservations. And now that everything is changed over, all of our reservations are fine and nothing was affected.

I've read every single post, but can't find this answer. When a spouse dies, deed is written as "husband and wife, as joint tenants with full rights of survivorship", is it best to go through LT Transfers or would I just submit a death certificate with the DIY method to add my daughter to the contract? I want to avoid probate when I die. Has anyone done it themselves with success? Thank you.

I've read every single post, but can't find this answer. When a spouse dies, deed is written as "husband and wife, as joint tenants with full rights of survivorship", is it best to go through LT Transfers or would I just submit a death certificate with the DIY method to add my daughter to the contract? I want to avoid probate when I die. Has anyone done it themselves with success? Thank you.
I don't know the answer, but wanted to say I am sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter