Steakhouse 71 with kids/ substitutions

EdnaMarieMode

DIS Veteran
My older son, 16, really wants to eat here and since we are staying at BLT it seems like a convenient choice. My younger son, 6, will not eat anything on the kid's dinner menu so I was hoping to order him a side of mac and cheese. I would be happy to pay kid's meal pricing for it (and he is completely fine with "fancy" mac and cheese). I am just wondering if this would even be an option, and what the price for an extra side might even be. If not, it's looking like a cheeseburger but hold the meat and all other condiments (soooo cheese on a bun). There are sensory issues so "pick something or starve" is not an option here. ETA: Mac and cheese is available as a side dish, I wouldn't be asking the kitchen to prepare it specially.

Also, DS 16 will absolutely enjoy a steak dinner but noticed the cheeseburger on the lunch menu. Is there any miracle by which he can just get one at dinner? I'm guessing not but figured it's worth an ask because the kid's menu has one. I hate asking for things like this at restaurants but if someone here has done this recently I'd feel a little better about it. ETA: He wants the stack burger, from the adult menu. It is not on the dinner menu but I figured I'd ask if anyone else has already asked to have on at dinner. Alternately I see he can get it "to go" at lunch time so maybe it would be easier to order him one for lunch on our pool day and he can order off of the regular dinner menu if we go for dinner.

Last edited:
My older son, 16, really wants to eat here and since we are staying at BLT it seems like a convenient choice. My younger son, 6, will not eat anything on the kid's dinner menu so I was hoping to order him a side of mac and cheese. I would be happy to pay kid's meal pricing for it (and he is completely fine with "fancy" mac and cheese). I am just wondering if this would even be an option, and what the price for an extra side might even be. If not, it's looking like a cheeseburger but hold the meat and all other condiments (soooo cheese on a bun). There are sensory issues so "pick something or starve" is not an option here.

Also, DS 16 will absolutely enjoy a steak dinner but noticed the cheeseburger on the lunch menu. Is there any miracle by which he can just get one at dinner? I'm guessing not but figured it's worth an ask because the kid's menu has one. I hate asking for things like this at restaurants but if someone here has done this recently I'd feel a little better about it. Alternately I see he can get it "to go" so maybe this would be a good option on our pool day instead.
my guess will be no on the mac and cheese unless it is on the menu there somewhere else like on an adult meal. has to be in the kitchen to make it. dumb question but would he accept the burger being on plate like ordering everything on the side and then build your own burger? as for the kids burger but not adult one on the menu. guessing they would be the same. yes most likely he could get the kids one but it would not be the same one as the adult one from lunch

my guess will be no on the mac and cheese unless it is on the menu there somewhere else like on an adult meal. has to be in the kitchen to make it. dumb question but would he accept the burger being on plate like ordering everything on the side and then build your own burger? as for the kids burger but not adult one on the menu. guessing they would be the same. yes most likely he could get the kids one but it would not be the same one as the adult one from lunch
Thanks! It is available on the menu as a side dish. That's why I was wondering about ordering an extra side (or having them charge me for the kids meal and bringing me a side of mac and cheese) and mentioned he's okay with fancy mac and cheese. I probably should clarify above that it is a menu item, just not as an entree.

The kid's menu has a cheeseburger. He will eat a bun and cheese, so I would have them hold the condiments and the meat (no sense in wasting it).

For my 16 year old I would want the adult cheeseburger that is available on the lunch menu.

Thanks! It is available on the menu as a side dish. That's why I was wondering about ordering an extra side (or having them charge me for the kids meal and bringing me a side of mac and cheese) and mentioned he's okay with fancy mac and cheese. I probably should clarify above that it is a menu item, just not as an entree.

The kid's menu has a cheeseburger. He will eat a bun and cheese, so I would have them hold the condiments and the meat (no sense in wasting it).

For my 16 year old I would want the adult cheeseburger that is available on the lunch menu.
holding in the back might not be possible as it would just be wasted there also. at end of night all burgers leftover are thrown out as in the trash. I work in the kitchen in a small park and you would be surprised at all the food thrown out each night. throwing one burger away is nothing. From what I have heard it is just the kids at dinner time

holding in the back might not be possible as it would just be wasted there also. at end of night all burgers leftover are thrown out as in the trash. I work in the kitchen in a small park and you would be surprised at all the food thrown out each night. throwing one burger away is nothing. From what I have heard it is just the kids at dinner time
Good to know. The full circus there though is that the cheese would then be melted onto a burger patty he doesn't want. So no point in doing that anyhow (at that point he'd be left with just a hamburger bun to eat at which point I should have just ordered him the brioche rolls as his dinner) but interesting info all the same.

Completely out of curiosity- at your park do the burgers come pre-made and that's why they prepare a meat patty the customer doesn't want and then throw it out? As in, if a customer ordered a burger with no meat for dietary or religious reasons, they would not put cheese/ condiments on a bun and leave it at that? I know our local theme park has items that are pre-made and held but if someone were to order a bun with condiments and cheese they will absolutely do that.

We were there in March and the waiter was super accommodating without us even asking. Our youngest two both ended up with chicken fingers, fries, and mac cheese as their kid's meals.

We were there in March and the waiter was super accommodating without us even asking. Our youngest two both ended up with chicken fingers, fries, and mac cheese as their kid's meals.
THANK YOU for this!! I know in general Disney makes the magic happen but I also understand that in the current climate it's just as likely that something can't be accommodated (which is fine, I do understand, and I hate asking to begin with). I figured since it's available as a side, mac and cheese wouldn't be a big stretch.

We were there in April with 6 kids. It was my single favorite dining experience ever at Disney. And I have been here many many times. They will try to meet your every need. My 5 year old will not eat meat and I asked for them to make her a grilled cheese and they were very happy to do it.

THANK YOU for this!! I know in general Disney makes the magic happen but I also understand that in the current climate it's just as likely that something can't be accommodated (which is fine, I do understand, and I hate asking to begin with). I figured since it's available as a side, mac and cheese wouldn't be a big stretch.
Yup, they were great. We actually started the route you mentioned, asking for a burger-less cheeseburger for our very picky 8-year-old. When we asked for that our waiter mentioned they also offered grilled cheese, chicken fingers, fries and mac and cheese for kids as needed.

We were there in April with 6 kids. It was my single favorite dining experience ever at Disney. And I have been here many many times. They will try to meet your every need. My 5 year old will not eat meat and I asked for them to make her a grilled cheese and they were very happy to do it.
I'm so glad to hear this!! We have had a lot of luck at other TS but mostly we've been able to find something DS6 will eat. This dinner menu is one of very few where there's just nothing he would consider so I'm glad to know there are options (within reason) for him here.

Yup, they were great. We actually started the route you mentioned, asking for a burger-less cheeseburger for our very picky 8-year-old. When we asked for that our waiter mentioned they also offered grilled cheese, chicken fingers, fries and mac and cheese for kids as needed.
Awesome!!! I can imagine it's not uncommon but I have seen so many stories floating around about restaurants not making substitutions or accommodations (beyond allergies) that I was hoping to confirm with some visitors who had recently been there.

I really do get why there has to be a limit on the requests and I want to be respectful of how busy these restaurants get. I am so glad to hear all of this!

Good to know. The full circus there though is that the cheese would then be melted onto a burger patty he doesn't want. So no point in doing that anyhow (at that point he'd be left with just a hamburger bun to eat at which point I should have just ordered him the brioche rolls as his dinner) but interesting info all the same.

Completely out of curiosity- at your park do the burgers come pre-made and that's why they prepare a meat patty the customer doesn't want and then throw it out? As in, if a customer ordered a burger with no meat for dietary or religious reasons, they would not put cheese/ condiments on a bun and leave it at that? I know our local theme park has items that are pre-made and held but if someone were to order a bun with condiments and cheese they will absolutely do that.
at my park burgers come premade to window with or without cheese. done differently would be the veggie burger again with or without cheese. I have never seen a burger with just cheese and bun as most of those would probably order cheese pizza instead.

this happened a number of years ago and I understand it was an allergies involved but had a mother bound and determined we could get plain mac without cheese for her daughter. only problem our mac and cheese comes premade with cheese in frozen bags which we reheat. she keep on just dish her some before you put the cheese on it. finally the manger heard what was going on and dropped a frozen bag on counter and looked at mom and said how can we do what you want. mom then went to Guest Services and complained we did not make mac and cheese completely in the stand. I should also say we offered our chicken tenders and star tots that were safe for her daughter but that was not good enough for her.

Working in a restaurant must be the hardest job on Disney property.
Working in any restaurant, really, is among the hardest jobs anywhere. Which is why I try to know what to expect beforehand and/ or go out of my way to not request accommodations. I did once see a grown adult send a CM all over 7 floors on a Disney cruise ship because he insisted the soda was more fizzy from a fountain elsewhere but couldn't remember exactly where though.

We are almost always able to find something on a menu that DS6 will eat. In this case, a side of mac and cheese (which I was wondering if I could either order on its own or as a meal for him), or a bun and cheese without the meat patty or condiments. DS6 deserves to eat with his family in a restaurant just as much as anyone else.

this happened a number of years ago and I understand it was an allergies involved but had a mother bound and determined we could get plain mac without cheese for her daughter. only problem our mac and cheese comes premade with cheese in frozen bags which we reheat. she keep on just dish her some before you put the cheese on it. finally the manger heard what was going on and dropped a frozen bag on counter and looked at mom and said how can we do what you want. mom then went to Guest Services and complained we did not make mac and cheese completely in the stand. I should also say we offered our chicken tenders and star tots that were safe for her daughter but that was not good enough for her.
Oh dear. I don't know if I could even fault the manager at that point- there's only so many times you can explain. I wouldn't assume something like mac and cheese was fresh prepared in theme park kitchen (or plenty of other places). All you really can do is offer alternatives or alternative locations where she might find something and that was done. I'll be honest- at my local theme park the person at the counter would probably shrug and tell them the water fountain is the only place they're getting something allergy friendly. I wish I was kidding.

I try really hard to research my options before we dine anywhere new. There's plenty my DS6 will eat most places, and thankfully this isn't an allergy where his health (or maybe his life) depends on a specific accommodation. Sometimes it would be easier to say it was, but I know the kitchen comes to a grinding halt for allergy orders and I don't want to make things more difficult for those with allergies.

For your older son, are you referring the the Stack Burger on the lunch menu? If so, it is also on the Lounge menu which is served all day - I've eaten the Stack Burger at the bar at dinner time (it's amazing). If that is the burger you are referring to, you could ask when checking in if you would be available to order it in the restaurant - if not, there is the option of sitting at the bar/lounge and ordering the burger in the evening. Your idea of doing take-out at lunch time is a good one, too.

They will generally say yes to the smash burger at dinner, as it's on the lounge menu. So they're making them anyways.
I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks!
DS16 never asks for a thing, so I really want to eat here if he's asking for it. He would definitely eat something from the dinner menu but he talks about that burger like he's choosing his last meal (and we go to some awesome burger places here at home so I'm not sure what's going on here). It seems like if he can't get one at dinner or chooses not to he can still snag one for lunch to-go another day. Maybe if he's really lucky he'll have one twice.

Although with my luck I'm asking for nothing and by the time we get there he will have forgotten about it and look at me like I have two heads. Teenagers are FUN 🤪

For your older son, are you referring the the Stack Burger on the lunch menu? If so, it is also on the Lounge menu which is served all day - I've eaten the Stack Burger at the bar at dinner time (it's amazing). If that is the burger you are referring to, you could ask when checking in if you would be available to order it in the restaurant - if not, there is the option of sitting at the bar/lounge and ordering the burger in the evening. Your idea of doing take-out at lunch time is a good one, too.
That's the one! I'm glad to know it's worth the hype. The way he talks about it, you'd think they were giving a million dollars to anyone who eats one. To be fair he is really into food and cooking (and pretty much anything between two pieces of bread).

He might actually get a real charge out of going to the lounge with DH for burgers so that's a great idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter