Staying up

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
From Thursday 5pm to Monday 8pm any way I can do it dh is having surgery I am affixed if I fall asleep I won't hear my phone

It is the needleless vasectomy if that helps with the replies

It is out patient but he will be in a different room in the house

You won't be able to do it and it wouldn't be healthy even if it was possible. Your body needs rest - that's why we get tired. Please make sure you get enough sleep to take care of yourself and your husband. If you are really worried about not hearing your phone, what about turning it to vibrate and ring and putting it under your pillow? I'm surprised he is going to be in the hospital that long. Usually that's a simple day procedure.

A vasectomy is a 15 minute procedure, at least is should be.

I was in and out of the office in an hour or so. The worst thing that happened to me was that the Valium I was given afterwards knocked me for a loop.

Give him a bag of frozen peas, a comfy place to lie around, and a laptop, and all should be good.

Is he really going to be in the hospital that long?!?

You won't be able to do it and it wouldn't be healthy even if it was possible. Your body needs rest - that's why we get tired. Please make sure you get enough sleep to take care of yourself and your husband. If you are really worried about not hearing your phone, what about turning it to vibrate and ring and putting it under your pillow? I'm surprised he is going to be in the hospital that long. Usually that's a simple day procedure.

Out patient and I will do it that is a very good idea puting it under my pillow

I thought that was an outpatient surgery?

You shouldn't stay up that long, if you do and your dh call you you will not be in any condition to help him. Your body won't allow you to stay up that long because it isn't healthy.

If you are worried about not hearing your phone, turn the volume all the way up and keep it next to your bed.

I was typing when you replied.
I don't think you need to worry too much. I know someone who had that procedure and went to work later that day.

Why in heavens name would you have to be up that long for an office procedure?

If you keep yourself awake to long when you finally fall asleep you will be in a much deeper sleep than if you just slept normally and more likely to sleep thru a phone call. You are better off sleeping normally.

Just make sure they have a second number to call if you think you would miss something, but I'm not sure what they would be calling for.

Why in heavens name would you have to be up that long for an office procedure?

If you keep yourself awake to long when you finally fall asleep you will be in a much deeper sleep than if you just slept normally and more likely to sleep thru a phone call. You are better off sleeping normally.

Just make sure they have a second number to call if you think you would miss something, but I'm not sure what they would be calling for.

Thanks I will have him call my mom if I don't hear my phone for what ever reason

From Thursday 5pm to Monday 8pm any way I can do it dh is having surgery I am affixed if I fall asleep I won't hear my phone

Well, to start, make sure your phone is not on silent. Secondly, there is no reason you need to stay up at all. It's a very simple procedure. Why is he going to be in a different room anyway? There's really no need for that. Hate to say it, but again, you are over thinking and over worrying (is that a word?) about the situation.

I had to bold the above?

Why would he call you if you are in the same house? And why would have have to be in a different room? I had 2 c-sections and still slept in the same bed as my husband.

From the people I have heard that had this done, it's not a big deal. Some pain/discomfort but not bad.

Ok I think you need to google this proceedure and read about it and the care afterwards. he will be awake the whole time and come home fine but sore. Being a man he will want you to spoil him and wait on him! Give him his frozen peas and the remote and let him be for the afternoon.

Why would you have to be awake while he is sleeping? he will just be in his normal routine. No one will be calling you. If you are concerned then wait in the waiting room while he is having it done.

I'm throwing this in here Just make sure you continue to use other birth control UNTIL he has received the all clear,[/B] no sperm from his DR.[/B] It takes time for it to be ok to rely on the vasectomy!!!

Saw your post after I replied, you do not have to be in another room, you can sleep in the same room. and if he was in another room he can get up and get you OR yell for you!! There will be nothing wrong with him that he couldn't do either.

DO you not share a room? My husband and I had no problems sharing a bed following his procedure a few years ago. He was absolutely fine. He rested the first day in bed so the little ones didn't jump on him, but after that, he rested on the couch as needed, but felt fine.

I don't see one reason why anyone would need that much help following a vasectomy. My husband was totally ambulatory.

My advice would be "come wake me if you need me" and leave it at that.

He will be in the doc's office about an hour. DH even drove himself home. He went home, used some ice and laid around and watched tv for the weekend. Other than babying him with making dinner and bringing him his pain pills when needed, that is all that I had to do for DH.

There is no reason you can't sleep in the same room with him and really no reason he would need you to do anything for him while you are sleeping.

I am really confused as to why you would need to stay up from Thurs 5pm to Monday 8pm.

The procedure is a simple one, no need for you to sleep in seperate bedrooms and be at his beckon call for almost 5 days.

Easy procedure! Frozen peas, remote, drinking fluids so that the area in question will be used within hours of the procedure. Swelling and bruising will be worse 2 or 3 days later. Don't let him be a baby and don't baby him. He needs to walk around and not just sit around for hours.

Thanks I will have him call my mom if I don't hear my phone for what ever reason

Your husband is going to call you on the phone if he needs you? Why can't he get up and get you or get what he needs himself? It's not major surgery. he just needs to take it easy for a few days, he's hardly going to be bedridden.

It'll help to make them more entertaining, that's for sure.

Why will he be in another room? I think it will all be fine, try not to stress too much.

DH and I just did this procedure this past fall (I had my tubes tied 3 weeks prior - yes, we are making super, duper extra sure - it's my life on the line if I get pregnant again)

The Vasectomy is really a very simple procedure. DH had it done on Thurs afternoon. His appt was for 3, and we were home (Dr's office was 40 mins away) by 5:30. I left him home with a bag of frozen peas (in a little pillowcase so he wouldn't have to mess with the towel) and picked up DD. DH hung out on the couch with a blanket over him, his pants pulled down and peas on his nuts. Every hour or so, we'd switch out the bag, or he'd take a break from them. He took his pain meds every 4-6 hours for the first day. They made him nauseous if he had them on an empty stomach. DH stood up to pee and walk upstairs to bed that night.

When I left for work on Friday, I made sure he had plenty of snacks and drinks in arms reach. When I called at lunch to see how he was, he was fine. He said he was just sore, like someone had kicked his family jewels. He switched out his own peas, heated up his own lunch (leftovers) and took a nap.

The rest of the weekend, he continued his lazy recovery. Monday, it was back to normal, although when he got home, he said he wanted the peas again to relieve some soreness from sitting all day rather than laying on the cushy couch.

Nothing bad or traumatic. Your husband's a big boy - I'm sure he won't die if you don't answer his beckon call at the snap of his fingers. He'll be fine!

If you are not capable of raising a child, then a vasectomy is NOT needless. Indeed, it is very responsible of your DH to make sure there are no children.

You have posted about this procedure before if I am not mistaken. And everyone tells you it is no big deal. Why do you not believe them? And if you do not believe them, why do you continue to ask for advice? Their replies will not change.

It's a vasectomy; if he needs you they may have cut a couple of other things off at the same time. Go to bed and sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter