Staying on the ship in Falmouth?

hypnotoad

Earning My Ears
Planning our excursions, one of our ports is Falmouth. I'll be cruising with my parents, my partner and my 4 and 6 year olds.

We're doing the dolphin thing in another port. The Dunn's river falls is the only thing that sounds interesting to me (as in, the adult-person me, not the mom-dragging-around-two-kids me). Also, Disney's age range starts at 6 and I'm not interested in booking my own excursion. The beach day would be fun for the kids, but it is $$$$ and we're getting a beach day at Castaway Cay anyway. My parents cruise twice a year and don't care what we do, as long as they spend it with the grandbabies. My goal for myself is to relax and not deal with the kids complaining about being bored.

So, do I sound like a good candidate to just stay on the boat? We can save ourselves the time it takes to travel to and from the excursion. The kids can go to the kids club (or my parents can take them and do whatever, I don't care) and my partner and I can do some adult stuff in a relatively empty boat.

Does this sound like the best decision given my situation. Please weigh in!

Yes. I always thought people were crazy to stay on the ship on port days. But then we stayed on the ship when we were in Falmouth. It was wonderful, so relaxing. There was hardly any line for the Aquaduck. There's so much to do on the Fantasy, and since none of you really care about the excursions there I say stay on the ship. I felt the same about the falls. I'd have worried the entire time about my dd or me falling, it wouldn't have been fun. Plus the travel time if I remember is nearly an hour each way, my dd would have been complaining.

If you do decide to get off the boat while in Falmouth, right there in the secure port area There's a Margaritaville restaurant. Obviously they have food and drinks, they also have a really nice pool area, they play music all day, and that might be enjoyable for a couple of hours off the ship.

We always stay on the ship when in Jamaica. I didn't want to waste all of my time on a taxi to go to Dunn's and our latest cruise the director said, "make sure you are with a tour group when you leave the ship for your own protection."

I understand that there are good and bad everywhere you go but I don't feel like being that cautious when on my vacation.

So we stay on the ship and use it as a sea day! No crowds and plenty of good food and activities.

We stayed on the ship for Falmouth day and had a blast. Our DD (7) and DS (5) had a great time on the AquaDuck with no line at all, and the pool wasn't crowded either. It was a bit rainy that day too so that helped keep things less busy. It ended up being one of our favorite days of the cruise. The only excursion that interested us was the Dunn's River Falls too but we were worried it would be too much for DS. I'm really glad we stayed on the ship that day.

Staying on board sounds like it could suit you. Also, if you did fancy the excursion and are planning on doing adult only stuff onboard anyway, you could do the excursion as a couple and ask grandparents to babysit for the day. Depends on your situation of course.

We were just in Jamaica on Friday. We did not have little ones, just a 20yo but the Dunns River Falls was a lot of fun! We enjoyed the excursion and climbing the falls. If you can leave the young ones on board with grandparents then it may be a good time for you. I also second going to Margaritaville at the port. The pool was way nicer than on board, for adults and children. There was great music being played and plenty of chairs.

On our last trip we just walked around the port at Falmouth and got back on the boat for lunch. On our next trip we plan on doing something similar at Falmouth.

We normally do our own excursions in the morning and then back on the boat by lunch to enjoy the ship to ourselves.

If you don't have an interest in the port, it is very very nice to have the ship to yourselves for a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter