Staying Offsite, ECV Questions for One Day MK visit

Beth D

DIS Veteran
Hello, I will be staying offsite for our upcoming trip- Spring Break week after Easter, My sons hs marching band is performing one day at MK, so we are planning on visiting the park that day only. I am unable to stand for long, or walk long distances. I want to get an ECV for this day ONLY so I don’t slow the group down. Its been 10 years + since I’ve been in the parks, so need some refreshers on logistics.

We wiill be parking in the MK lot. I saw on the dis website that some scooters can be picked up at the T & T center. How far from the parking lot is that? Its before the boats/monorail, right? Are the trams still running? Trying to figure out how long the walk would be. Same with returning on the way out.

Lookimg for any tips, advice, etc…

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I will be staying offsite for our upcoming trip- Spring Break week after Easter, My sons hs marching band is performing one day at MK, so we are planning on visiting the park that day only. I am unable to stand for long, or walk long distances. I want to get an ECV for this day ONLY so I don’t slow the group down. Its been 10 years + since I’ve been in the parks, so need some refreshers on logistics.

We wiill be parking in the MK lot. I saw on the dis website that some scooters can be picked up at the T & T center. How far from the parking lot is that? Its before the boats/monorail, right? Are the trams still running? Trying to figure out how long the walk would be. Same with returning on the way out.

Lookimg for any tips, advice, etc…

Thanks in advance!
as far as I know it is wheelchairs only at the TTC plus parks have been running out early so if you are not at rope drop what would your plan B be? the TTC can be a distance depend on where you park. also no tram from Handicapped parking at MK. this was true before covid. also not sure about leaving park but as far as I know scooters can not go outside of the gate on way out of park

I agree with Betty I think there may be some WC's for rent at the TTC but not ECV's. I'm thinking you only want an ECV. Are you arriving with the band or in your own vehicle? I guess in other words do you have to keep up with them like a chaperone or are you on your own?

If you're with someone, perhaps you can rent a WC at the TTC and would they let you exchange it (and apply what you paid as credit) - when you get to the MK for a an ECV? Sometimes there are complimentary wheelchairs in the parking lots that could be used to get to the park entrance but it would be a complete toss up whether you'd find one.

If you're in your own car and someone is in the car with you, you could see about renting/borrowing a WC from someone where you live and bring it. Take that WC to the park and park it inside the entrance (in a designated are for WC's and strollers like at Tony's) and rent an ECV then transfer back to the WC when you leave.

I was a chaperone for my son's band trip to US/IOA and I had to walk to the entrance to rent an ECV which was not great but I didn't have other options (I can usually walk for a bit though but I'm slow...I was faster then).

We’re just going to watch them march, not chaperoning, so definitely a more casual pace. But I want to spend the whole day at the park, shop, eat, etc…

I just need to stop & rest often, & possibly sit. Right now it sounds like I should get there super early to ensure ecv availability. Would it be better to do boat or monorail? Its been so long I can’t remember if the monorail has seats… I think the boats have more?

Any other advice or suggestions is much appreciated!

Monorail has limited seating (and it seems that as the years have gone by, politeness towards those who have a difficult time with mobility has disappeared in giving their seats up). I find it's a toss up--if the ferry is there and or you see it coming, I'd take the ferry and try and get a spot to sit there; generally takes a few minutes longer but you'll likely get a spot to sit.

If you have a handicap placard you could get handicap parking which will get you closer to wherever. You may be able to be driven and dropped off closer and then wait for the others to get to you after they park the car.

Park Scooters are first come, first serve. You do need to get there early to secure one. Off site scooter rentals want more than a one day rental.

Using a wheelchair until you get to the park scooter rental is a good idea. The scooter rental will hold your own wheelchair while you use their scooter.

I seem to remember seeing people in WCs having a special area to board the monorail that is attended by a CM? Anyone else have info on this?

I seem to remember seeing people in WCs having a special area to board the monorail that is attended by a CM? Anyone else have info on this?
yes people in mobility device do board in monorail in the center of it. they will put down a ramp for you to get on and off of the monorail

yes people in mobility device do board in monorail in the center of it. they will put down a ramp for you to get on and off of the monorail
Maybe this could help OP in deciding on arrangements. It’s usually good to know what to expect.

I'd consider renting offsite and bringing the scooter. You may get a better deal if you pick up and drop off. Hopefully you'll get a 2 day rental. Call Buena Vista, Scotterbug and Gold. I don't know if Gold will make an exception to their 1 week minimum if you pickup and dropoff.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice! After much consideration I think I will do an off site rental, this way I can use it at the outlet malls too.

My next question comes to transporting…. I’ve been looking at Gold for rentals, due to size limitations I need to move up to the model that does NOT say portable. We will have a full size truck while there, & my hubby is physically very active/capable (he delivered furniture at his last job). We will also usually have another strong male along. So how difficult is it to transport it? How heavy are they? I would do the 3 wheel version.

Do the bigger ones need to stay intact? Our truck has a bed cover that can fold back partway.

Video is on Golds site. I think the heaviest piece is just over 60 lbs
I'm talking about the Victory model the middle model

You can take the Victory 10 apart, but if physically capable, they may find it easiest to just remove the seat, out the tiller down and lift the rest. DH is able to get his that we bought from Gold Mobility in and out of our Hyundai Kona by himself. For him he has to put the front wheel on the back bumper and then lift, kind of using the car as a folcrum point if a lever, but when we use our Ford CMAX energi, he usually needs assistance due to the height. Most people thst end up helping end up being able to lift it by themselves. In both cases this is with the seat and basket removed. Do remove the basket unless it is empty, as when you put the tiller down, everything will fall out of it.

Some people can lift it seat and all by themselves or with one other person if your car is tall enough.

Total weight is approximately 220 lbs when fully assembled with seat and the 50 Ah batteries, if they are still using the 50 Ah batteries. DH has the 40 Ah batteries, as it is a lot harder to remove the 50 Ah batteries due to their physical size and with the 40 Ah batters (which is still larger than what Pride offers direct), the weight is 180 lbs.

Hopefully all of that helps you out a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter