Staying healthy for the trip?

wdw_writers

Earning My Ears
Ive been thinking about my next trip:
i am going to keep SO clean and germ-free!

im already planning on washing my hands with wet-naps like 10 times a day, a thousand glasses of orange juice...stuff like that

any tips or ideas on how to stay healthy?

Well when I went to Disney in October of last year I had a cold before I even got there.We used a lot of hand sanitizer, you just never know. Usually after each ride where we had to hold onto something we would use it. It's funny too because the scent was juniper breeze from bath and body works. What is great about that is that now every time I get a whiff of it I am reminded of our fun Florida vacation-not a bad thought to associate with the smell.

I seem more worried about keeping fit and keeping my children fit. I added some extra exersize by walking my children to school and back instead of driving them. Hopefully this will do us all good, for all the walking that we will be doing in Disney.

Marv

Lots of sleep, vitamin C and Echinacea, and eating well. We always do this regimine for a few months before we go and we've always been fine. I've heard that losing just one nights sleep can throw your body into complete havoc. If I had some trouble sleeping, I would take Tylenol PM to insure a good nights sleep.

Good plan! I got barely any sleep before our last trip and ended up getting a really soar throat/cough/fever on our last trip. And the thing is, I don't get colds that often but I had to get one on our vacation, of course! Get some of that purrell stuff as well. And, as the others said, get plenty of sleep!

I recommend Zicam at the earliest sign of sniffle or sore throat. I use the nose spray gel, but usually just dip a Qtip in the bottle and swab my nose that way. I haven't had a full-blown cold since I started doing this(knock on wood - about 2 years ago). Usually only takes a day or so of doing this and the cold is history!

1. Pull your kids out of day care a week before your trip.

2. Keep your kids out of McDonalds and or other places where sick people might visit.

3. Keep your fingers crossed.

4. Prey for a healthy and safe trip.

Searl

Make sure you eat your vitamins, get lots of sleep and wash your hands :) I would also bring along some cold medication just in case ... sometimes the particular brand or type that you want can be hard to find on Disney property and it can be expensive too!

Eating healthy, vitamin C, lots of rest. All these are good ideas, the one that helped us out the most on our last trip was walking.
We started walking 5 months before our trip, at first we would just walk a few blocks every other day. Then it turned into a mile, by the time we left for Disney we were walking 5 miles a day. When we hit the parks walking was a breeze. I felt like we all lasted alot longer durning the day. Just wanted to share that.

Good Day

I used to get sick four days in after every trip and realised its the plane/airport. I've started using antibacterial wipes from the second I get into that airport. On the plane: as soon as I sit down I wipe the arm rest, tray table, remote for the movies etc. I use them after going to the bathroom and before eating - and touch wood, haven't had a cold after my plane flight yet. Mind you, I got back from thailand yesterday and ran out of wipes: I also didn't sleep for 40 hours - so we shall see what happens on Thursday!

Vitamins, Rest, water, washing hands and drinking "Airborne." It's something I found in the local drugstore that has all these herbs and vitamins put into a tablet and dissolves in water to prevent getting sick. It was made by a teacher who was tired of catching her students' illnesses. Good luck!

I am so paranoid about illness that I make the kids go to the restroom at the Catholic church to avoid the "Sign of Peace". Especially the last time when the kid behind us sniffled the entire Mass!

I work at a college in the biology department. Students display their research results throughout our department. There is posted a very interesting project which compared washing your hands with antibacterial soap vs. using Purell hand sanitizer. Purell won by a land-slide. They measured the amount of bacteria on the subject's hands before washing and after and the same with using the Purell. I'm not pushing Purell, since I haven't even purchased any yet, just thought it might be helpful to share.

Originally posted by WDW Fun
I work at a college in the biology department. Students display their research results throughout our department. There is posted a very interesting project which compared washing your hands with antibacterial soap vs. using Purell hand sanitizer. Purell won by a land-slide. They measured the amount of bacteria on the subject's hands before washing and after and the same with using the Purell. I'm not pushing Purell, since I haven't even purchased any yet, just thought it might be helpful to share.

What a cool science fair project idea! I think I may borrow this for DD11 next year. Thanks for the info.

Isn't Purell Hand Sanitizer is a form of Anti Bacterial Soap? I use Purell all the time but it's just because that it's the only brand they sell at Costco.

Oh, and I also use Antibacterial Wipes to clean the tables before we go eat anywhere.

All of the ideas are great and very helpful but I do highly agree with Snoozan on the Zicam!! Same here on no cold's since discovering it. :)

Originally posted by FatCow
Isn't Purell Hand Sanitizer is a form of Anti Bacterial Soap? I use Purell all the time but it's just because that it's the only brand they sell at Costco.

Oh, and I also use Antibacterial Wipes to clean the tables before we go eat anywhere.

Maybe they also make soap? But the Purell they used for the experiment was just a hand sanitizer and didn't use water.

Originally posted by AJKMOM
I am so paranoid about illness that I make the kids go to the restroom at the Catholic church to avoid the "Sign of Peace".

Oh you're not alone! Two weeks prior to the trip, I carry anti-bactorial gel with me just to clean the hands after church. I usually keep the gel with me all the time. But when it's close to "trip time" I get really serious about germs!!

I also avoid at all costs crowded places where germs can breed. We tend to avoid inside malls, subway trains, etc.

After that one trip where DS came down with pnuemonia in WDW I really do my best to keep EVERYONE healthy for the trip.

::MickeyMo "Well hi there everybody"

Water, water, water and more bottled water :)

Have a great time :)

Rich::

12.tif
13.tif
14.tif
15.tif
16.tif
17.tif

18.tif
19.tif
20.tif
21.tif
22.tif
23.tif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter