Staying at Universal

This depends on what crowd levels are like. If, for example, going on Spring Break, the Express Pass lines can get very long.

Express Pass is not immediate ride access. There will be times when you wait 20 minutes or more in the Express Pass line. We've waited over 30 minutes for Rip Ride Rockit. It was not for a breakdown - it's just that the Express Pass line sometimes stretches past the metal detector. We've also waiting a long time in the Express Pass line for Despicable Me.

When my son and I did our 2-day marathon in October 2021, the parks were not particularly crowded. We got to the parks at 9 AM and basically didn't stop until 7 PM. (IOA closed at 8 PM.) We did not have dinner until after 7 PM both days. We were able to experience all attractions once. We even did several rides multiple times: VelociCoaster 4 times (twice each day), Hagrid's 2 times (once each day), Hulk 3 times, Rip Ride Rockit 2 times. Our days were Sunday and Monday.

Again though, we rarely stopped to take a break, except for lunch at the Hard Rock on the second day.

My plans Is to go the second week in June or the week after 4th of July.

That's an awesome plan. I think i will do this. I will go crazy for our first 2 days because the kids will be super excited and wont mind. lol. Then a sleep in pool day. Then more parks after that.

This has been really helpful. Thank you so much:-)
The advantage of the hotel being close to the parks is just that.

Go early, cause you can take care of all the rides quickly, then eat an early lunch and then head back to the hotel to rest (during the busiest period 1 - 4 pm), then eat an early dinner and come back around 5 pm to close.

One more perk that we take advantage of is if you have an American Express Platinum card, book Portofino Bay Resort through AMEX fine resorts and you get the early entry, express passes and also breakfast for 2 every day of your stay including check out day, 1 free dinner for 2 (up to $100 value) and a $200 statement credit. It makes our Deluxe room as cheap as a value at WDW and the resort is a as good or better than Disney's best resort.

If you are going to do this all the way, it means getting up early on the first day so you can get to the hotel at around 7 AM so you can park and pick up your room key, which also is your Express Pass.

We have plans for Oct, for the 1st time booking a room with express pass. thx for sharing your in/out strategy & how early we can ck in (oh boy...we have late risers) So, if I was to book our 1 night stay, we would also book the park tickets separately and once in the park, all we need to do is make sure we have our room key on us for that the express pass? Thx!

We have plans for Oct, for the 1st time booking a room with express pass. thx for sharing your in/out strategy & how early we can ck in (oh boy...we have late risers) So, if I was to book our 1 night stay, we would also book the park tickets separately and once in the park, all we need to do is make sure we have our room key on us for that the express pass? Thx!

You can get your park tickets from anyone.

Check in from 6am onwards, your room may not be ready but you will be issued room keys to use as your EP.

Everyone registered in the room will get a room key with their name and length of stay stamped on it and yes, that`s your EP. Everyone doesn`t need to be there at check in, one person can go check in and get everyone`s room keys.

You can get your park tickets from anyone.

Check in from 6am onwards, your room may not be ready but you will be issued room keys to use as your EP.

Everyone registered in the room will get a room key with their name and length of stay stamped on it and yes, that`s your EP. Everyone doesn`t need to be there at check in, one person can go check in and get everyone`s room keys.
Awesome! Ty!

Help me understand the process please. I didnt check on ticket prices yet but if I were to buy sams club or Costco discounted tickets, there will be no restriction with using the EP with it, right? The park tickets are strictly to get into the park & EP is for the rides, correct? Thx!
Yes, park tickets and Express Pass are 2 different physical tickets.

Park tickets, which you can buy anywhere, get you into the theme parks.

Express Pass, which you pick up when you check into one of Universal’s 3 Deluxe Resorts and also function as your room key, gets you into the Express Pass line once you are inside the theme parks.

One more perk that we take advantage of is if you have an American Express Platinum card, book Portofino Bay Resort through AMEX fine resorts and you get the early entry, express passes and also breakfast for 2 every day of your stay including check out day, 1 free dinner for 2 (up to $100 value) and a $200 statement credit. It makes our Deluxe room as cheap as a value at WDW and the resort is a as good or better than Disney's best resort.
Do you know if you have to book through Amex or can you show the platinum card when you check in? I booked an AP rate through the resort.

Do you know if you have to book through Amex or can you show the platinum card when you check in? I booked an AP rate through the resort.
Yes. And I compared both ways. using my AP going through UO and using my AMEX and going through Fine Resorts and it's a way better deal to go through AMEX. Plus you get 4:00 pm checkout guaranteed. That one really great perk as we can take our time, maybe hit a park or have a leisurely pool day before we leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter