Staying at OKW in two weeks, do you need a car? any tips on OKW?

StarNova

Mouseketeer
Staying at OKW starting June 19th. I've read a lot of info on the boards. Some say renting a car is a must. Is it worth the time and hassle? Or just stick to Disney transport?

Thanks for your help

OKW has the Disney busses like all the other resorts, so renting a car is not a must unless you think you will want to go somewhere off property.

If you are planning on getting food for your villa, you could take a cab to the grocery store. Or if you are having a private car pick you up, you could ask them to build in a grocery stop. Most of the limo services down there do that because there are so many timeshares in the area. Having a car does make the shopping aspect a bit easier. They also have food in the gift shop at OKW...it is pricier than what you would pay at a local grocery store, but it's food and it's there and fairly easily accessible.

There are also services (ie-wegoshop.com) that you can give a shopping list to and they will shop and deliver it to your resort.

I don't think the transportation at OKW is any better - or worse - than at the other resorts. We've stayed there numerous times through the years and rarely rent a car.

A car might be a good idea if you have older folks in your group (I know my senior mom can sometimes have a tough time with the bus steps) or younger kids with larger strollers.

We order food from Garden Grocer.

Our two stays at OKW were fantastic! The bus service is top notch and you do not share with another resort. We rarely waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Our last trip we stayed in building 62 which is a real short walk to the HH bus stop, Olivia's and the boat launch to DTD. Hope you have a great time!

Thanks everyone. We were torn about renting a car. I think we'll pass and stick with the bus service.

If you have a car its fine, if you don't have a car it's fine too. You can catch a bus within the resort to take you to all stops.

Some people are just impatient, it's vacation, not work, slow down, relax. :thumbsup2

Old Key West is my favorite DVC resort. When we lived in Florida, we of course drove to the resort, but never got back into the car until we drove home. Living in Colorado and flying in, we order groceries from a service - it is fabulous. Enjoy the large rooms and the serenity after running around the parks all day!

if you are assigned a villa far from the main area (lobby, main pool, restaurant, boat dock to DTD), remember that most, if not all, of the buses stop at the main area (called "hospitality house") before heading out to a park. so just hop the first bus that comes by if you want to go to the main pool or catch a boat to DTD...

i tend to leave my car parked for the week when i stay at OKW but there is always a risk with buses that you'll have to wait...kinda depends on whether you're a "type a" or not...

We stayed at OKW this past December and found the buses to run like every other resort, so I would recommend not spending the money on a rental car.

Also, there is boat service to Downtown Disney which was nice for a change.

OKW has just been rehabed so you'll have a nice, new room. (We got one of the last old rooms which had a disgusting bathroom.) They are also the biggest villas on property.

Only complaint - lack of a real sitdown quick service restaurant/food court. They have an outdoor take-out window.

We've never had a rental car for any of our stays @ OKW, and it's never been a problem. :thumbsup2

We've stayed there with and without a car and it's a toss-up. I guess it depends on you and your comfort level with walking and being flexible, etc. But I can tell you this; it is one of the most beautiful resorts in all of WDW. We will be staying there ourselves in Jan. 2012 in a 1BR. Can't wait! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter