Staying at Marriott- should I also book Aulani? Please help!

bayareadisneyland

Mouseketeer
Hello! Staying at the Marriott Ko Olina w my family next spring. It has always been on my bucket list to stay at the aulani. My kids will be 9 and 6. Is it worth it for me to double book and spend the $$$ at the aulani for a night - and use the facilities for 2 days? My kids are not into babysitting services- so wouldn’t use those. Are the pools that much better? Or should I just spend a day at wet and wild (the water park near the resort?) and just do a brunch at the aulani and check out the grounds? Extending the trip is not an option. Thank you so much!

I think Aulani is worth trying if you're there. The pools and snorkel reef are great, especially for kids at those ages.

By next spring, do you mean Spring 2022? Could you cancel the last few nights at Marriott? I wouldn't double book a night, but see if you can cancel the last 2 nights at Marriott.

We are owners at the Marriott and go every other year for at least 2 weeks. I had looked once into booking a room to try Aulani, but for the price it really wasn’t worth it. The pools are wonderful at the Marriott, and they are so much more spaced out. I never have an issue getting pool chairs, and it’s just much less crowded than Aulani is (in normal times). We’ve never been to Wet & Wild, as my kids (now young adults) aren’t really into water parks.

As far as delivery, we never have tried so I am unsure about anyone delivering. I highly recommend having your own vehicle.

The Marriott has a nice waterfall pool with a slide, plus an activity pool with a sandy bottom on one side for toddlers, plus a quiet pool (not adult only, just quiet) which is peaceful for floating around. There are also multiple hot tubs, 3 grilling areas with multiple grills at each available any time of the day (we often grill lunch, which isn’t possible at Aulani as they restrict their grills to only a few dinner hours). It’s nice and spread out, and the beach area is also less crowded since Aulani shares their cove with the Four Seasons, but the Marriott doesn’t share with any other property really. I think you’ll love the Marriott.

I suggest doing the brunch plan to check Aulani out. It's too much of a pain to move hotels for just a one-night stay. Plus, you'll likely be saying "we never should have stayed at the Marriott at all!" if you move for one night. Nope, just do a brunch and a walk-around, then you'll be sure to want to book Aulani next time.

The Marriott is awesome and you will love it however Aulani is also awesome and imho, is very much worth staying for an overnight if not two nights.
The Aulani lazy river is really the highlight for us.

Funny, I contemplated the same thing and concluded that YES it is worth it to double book the cheapest Aulani studio for one night and get two days armband use and still keep your other room. No need to move everything, just think of Aulani as a day visit and changing room. You can sleep there if you want, but keep most of your other stuff at the other resort.

Good advice especially if you get a lower price for a midweek night...
otherwise you will return home and wish forever you had stayed at least one night on Aulani Property.

Funny, I contemplated the same thing and concluded that YES it is worth it to double book the cheapest Aulani studio for one night and get two days armband use and still keep your other room. No need to move everything, just think of Aulani as a day visit and changing room. You can sleep there if you want, but keep most of your other stuff at the other resort.
It was definitely worth it for us. We're owners at Ko Olina and booked our week there then booked 2 nights at Aulani. So relaxing to enjoy the resort and restaurants. Aulani's lazy river is the best! Recommend booking your days at Aulani during the week to avoid the weekend which is usually more crowded. If you decide not to stay there, you can still walk the grounds and also dine there. It's a beautiful resort.

I love Aulani and can't wait to stay again, but whether it is worth it or not depends on the impact it will have on the rest of your trip. If the one night at Aulani means you will have to miss out on excursions and experiences with your children then it is probably not worth it. If it just means taking home a few less souvenirs then go for it!

I haven't stayed at the Marriot so I can't compare the two, but as you've said it's on your bucket list you will probably be aiming to go at some point. Is this the right point for you? Have you checked out if renting DVC points would allow you to stay there a little cheaper? Could you do one night at the start or end so you are not paying for both?

Hello! Staying at the Marriott Ko Olina w my family next spring. It has always been on my bucket list to stay at the aulani. My kids will be 9 and 6. Is it worth it for me to double book and spend the $$$ at the aulani for a night - and use the facilities for 2 days? My kids are not into babysitting services- so wouldn’t use those. Are the pools that much better? Or should I just spend a day at wet and wild (the water park near the resort?) and just do a brunch at the aulani and check out the grounds? Extending the trip is not an option. Thank you so much!

I'm at the Marriott Ko Olina right now and talked to a family who booked two nights at Aulani before moving to the Marriott. She said she was very disappointed in Aulani. She is a huge Disney fan and goes to WDW at least once a year. She said Aulani was overpriced and their room was in need of some repairs. Her first impression was excitement until they got to their room and their keys didn't work. Her DH went back to the desk and got new ones. Those didn't work. After trying again, they sent maintenance up and they found the lock was the problem. She said the CM wasn't the nicest during the process. She said that were little things that just took away from her Disney bubble and was disappointed.

She was much happier at the Marriott and that her kids preferred these pools to the Aulani pools. This I thought was strange but to each their own.

Tough call for me, but I could get onboard with one night. That would give you a good feel for the resort without double booking for more than one night, and it would make it so you're not giving up too much touring time to stay there. Focus on the unique elements of Aulani - the pools, character meets, activities. Its the same lagoon and beachfront as the Marriott, and anyone can dine at the restaurants there so that's something you could do any time (caveat: in the current covid environment there are restrictions on restaurants, but hopefully thats changed by the time you go).

I would definitely double book a couple of nights stay at Aulani to use their amenities. The Marriott Ko’Olina is next door to Aulani, so it wouldn’t be that inconvenient to head back to your room after your visit. I wouldn’t move your belongings back and forth.
I gifted my friend’s family four nights stay at Aulani last December while they were concurrently booked at Marriott. They are Marriott Ko’Olina members. I had extra points so I thought her kids would love playing at Aulani.
Her kids loved the lazy river and the snorkeling. She didn’t move their belongings to Aulani, they just walked over from their resort.

We have an upcoming trip and are using Marriott points to stay. Can only use points to stay 5 nights Marriott Ko Olina. Getting into HNL 11pm and spending 1st 2 nights Waikiki. We have 1 night in Oahu before flight home and I cannot decide between Aulani and Waikiki again for last night on island. Basically, $500/night Aulani vs $250/night Waikiki. Can't decide.

We have an upcoming trip and are using Marriott points to stay. Can only use points to stay 5 nights Marriott Ko Olina. Getting into HNL 11pm and spending 1st 2 nights Waikiki. We have 1 night in Oahu before flight home and I cannot decide between Aulani and Waikiki again for last night on island. Basically, $500/night Aulani vs $250/night Waikiki. Can't decide.

This is a tough one. Since you're already staying on Waikiki before moving to Ko Olina, I would probably do Aulani if I had the money.

I did the exact same thing last Thanksgiving. Definitely worth it. I love Marriott Ko Olina, but the pools and hot tub at Aulani are far superior. By booking one night, you get 2 full days of amenities at Aulani. We had the extra benefit of being able to book the restaurant (as it was only available to Aulani guests), but that may not be the case by the time you go. I would reiterate what others have said - book Aulani so that your 2 days fall midweek - it is cheaper and Aulani will be less crowded than on the weekend. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter