• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stay last week was awesome!!

On our last day, I went over and checked us into DLH at 6:30 am (I like to see what I'm getting so prefer to check in in person). Our room was on the 10th floor, directly below the entrance to the concierge lounge. We just had to hop on the elevator and go up one floor and there we were! We had a gorgeous view out over DTD, DCA, DL, and the distant hills. We stayed in our room that night for fireworks and were amazed at what we could also see of WOC in the distance. Now I want to do the dessert party next year! Believe it or not, I've never seen WOC except in little flashes from afar. I had no idea it was so spectacular!
dlh vu dl.jpg dlh view 1.jpgdlh vu heart.jpg

The room we had was nice but I definitely prefer GCH. DLH seemed a little...tired. It wasn't quite as posh (no robes and the bathroom was definitely dated), but the view was spectacular! It's a lovely hotel with so many fun things to see. However, I miss the big fancy lobby and gathering place at GCH when I'm at DLH. There really isn't an indoor gathering place at DLH that isn't a dining venue. I don't find the DLH lobby, such as it is, very inviting as it's only intended as a place for family to wait during check-in. The lack of dining options is also odd for such a large hotel and I'm puzzled as to why they closed Steakhouse 55 and have yet to replace it.

On our arrival day, we got to LGB (so quick and easy to get in and out of), deplaned, got our bags, and were in our Lyft to the resort in no time at all. Checked in to GCH with no one else in line (!) and had a fun chat with the front desk lady I mentioned before, who told us to call her Auntie Linda. We were able to check into our room right away and get our bags sent up (around 11 am) and then we headed to DL for our 11:45 Blue Bayou reservation.

FOOD

Day 1
BLUE BAYOU When we arrived at check-in, we requested waterside and were told it would be about 50 mins. We said fine and sat down inside but were immediately called, so don't necessarily believe what they give you as a wait time for waterside. I've never had it take as long as they say, and I've been going for many years. Our table wasn't *quite* waterside, but it was right there where we could easily see the boats and the bayou. It was lovely! We shared the Monte Cristo and salad (our favorite) and we each had a hurricane. The drink is really good but cost about as much as the food :D. Even though we split the MC, we still only ate half of it so we took the rest with us. And yes, we enjoyed it later! No dessert for us then.
Grade: A-

CARTHAY CIRCLE RESTAURANT We had a lot of fun playing around and riding rides and then went to change for dinner. It was fabulous! Staff was excellent and the food was, too. I find it a little chilly in there and the 2-person tables tend to be in the less desirable spots, but it's still beautiful and fun. Had a blast taking those silly pics, then hopped over to DL. What a great day!
carthay rs.jpg

Day 2
LA BREA This was our only ADR for breakfast. It was good, but not like it used to be. We got the same server we've had for years (Kim), who is a hoot. Shared the pecan stuffed French toast and it was yummy, but we miss the lox and bagel with giant capers and the variety of the old menu.
Grade: B+

MAGIC KEY TERRACE Had lunch there with a friend and it was delightful! Great servers, quick prep, and very friendly people. We all shared the sliders plus the cheese board. We all had Shipwrecks (yummy drink). Big thumbs up to MK.
Grade: A

NAPA ROSE We went for dinner. I love the lounge, but I don't love the restaurant. They're kind of snooty. This time, they were especially snooty and we were rather rudely treated, which did not go over well with either of us. We dressed up and were not demanding but we find that 2 older women are often invisible or ignored in such places. On top of that, the food was greatly lacking compared to how it had always been. If I'm paying a premium price, I expect a premium product. It was very good, but far fewer options and it was no longer GREAT. Very pricey for the lower quality product and combined with the service, we decided we were done with Napa Rose unless we hear that the standards have improved. I did leave comments with Disney about our experience. Ordered diver scallop, pork chop, and I don't remember what else, plus the Valrhona hot chocolate dessert. The dessert was a huge disappointment. We order it every year and this year it was lukewarm, not as tasty (not sure why), and the house-made pastry trio was 2 mostly tasteless chocolate madeline things that looked like turds. I'll post a pic and you can see for yourself. We had ordered drinks, and they came with an orange rind garnish, which fell off or into the drink and was, well, ugly. Just a chunk of orange rind. The drink was good, though :) I was wondering if the regular chef was on vacation or something because the next day we went to Club 33, which I believe is also Chef Sutton, and surprisingly, we had the same disappointment in the food quality.
Grade: C-
napa rose drinks.jpg nr hot chocolate.jpg napa rose .jpg

Day 3
We didn't eat breakfast out but had panettone we'd brought with us and Starbuck's coffee, which I mobile ordered and ran down and picked up immediately. Easy from GCH.

HEARTHSTONE TERRACE (?) I'm not sure of the name, but it's next to/part of the little bar and grill by the pool. We ordered a margherita pizza to share, which was quite good. The service was slow but I think that our server was either new or just young and a bit apathetic. He was very quiet and just sort of drifted around, but it was still a really great place for a quick bite.

CLUB 33 We went for dinner. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas, which is always so fun, and we were entertained by the strolling carolers, who visited each table and asked if you had a request. The food, though, was similar to Napa Rose and was surprisingly less inspired than usual. It was good, but many of my favorites were gone and I actually had trouble choosing courses I would like. Worst of all, the dessert wasn't even good!! That's my favorite part of the meal. We ordered the sticky toffee pudding and it was none of those things, it was like banana bread without the banana. Now, I've had it when it was delicious, so I know what it should have been. We also got the peppermint chocolate yule log, and it was good but not the usual quality, either. Most of the servers were extremely nice, but our main waiter was a bit surly but did eventually thaw a little. There was nothing in the merch cabinet that was interesting, and no eggnog set (purchase with purchase) as in the past 2 years, though I suppose I don't really NEED another. They'd also advertised a cocoa mug with cookie slot which had not arrived before we left. I was really hoping it would show up but sadly, it did not. So, fun experience, lovely setting, fun people, but disappointing in a few ways.
Grade: B (it's very hard to grade a place like Club 33, so I'm only using previous club experiences as a guide)
club 33 court.jpg

Day 4
We had leftovers and junk (gingerbread, etc) mostly.

TRADER SAM'S We went in the early evening and shared a big green bowl of Monster's Embrace and some panko beans. Delicious and fun! Not overly crowded, fun people.
Grade: A+

Attachments

• club dr.jpg
    club dr.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
  • napa rose .jpg
    napa rose .jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 22
So sad you didn't enjoy Napa Rose, that is really unfortunate. I dine solo all the time and have always had nothing but amazing personable service , to the point several servers actually remember me.
The world's best hot chocolate is always a favorite of mine so to hear that wasn't good as well , again really bummed me out !
Last I heard Chef Gloria was taking over Club 33 but believe Chef Sutton is still overseeing things.

I love all your photos together and still sounds like you had an amazing time.
In regards to DLH club level : Yeah was hearing it was just "okay" recently. Granted some say that about the GCH club level too so may be a matter of preference somewhat.
I appreciate your insight !

This is my favorite thread that I have seen for a while. You two look like an absolute blast. I think you are right. Joy is contagious, and it goes both ways. Wise words, and I will remember them and share them with my kids for our trip starting next week. Thank you for your honest reviews as well.

I know I wrote excessively about our dining, but we really did quite a lot of it ha ha!

As far as rides, we really didn't find a need for Genie+ with our touring style. There were just 2 of us, we took advantage of off times (late nights, early mornings), and the proximity of our hotel made it easy to go back and forth. We did utilize the monorail quite a bit, mostly from hotel to park. We had hoppers and used the feature but as many others have said, we really disliked the 1:00 hopping time.

We both got Magic Bands our first day and made sure the CM got them up and running for us (I would recommend this for anyone who is moderately tech-challenged--someone here on the boards had mentioned it in a post, so thank you to that person!). We absolutely felt it was worth it just for getting in and out of the parks but also for photopass. We got photopass pics everywhere and it was cool that they just tap your MB and transfer the pics. I didn't really understand how you got the ride photos other than the old way of taking a picture of the number and entering it manually. I felt the band vibrating sometimes but by the time I pushed up my sleeve, it had finished whatever it was doing. But since my sister had forgotten her phone, it was nice that we both had a way to scan in etc. and the bands are kind of fun. I think it would be nice to be able to open your room with it unless it's as clunky as the phone room key. I find it much easier to use the card key but I do like the chime it makes when you use the phone. Side note: I don't understand why, if there are 2 people in your party, they don't allow both to have access to the key on their phones.

Anyway, we were able to ride almost everything within 30 minutes. Indy was walk-on (twice), Pirates was 10 min though we did get stuck for a while where the pirate band sings (short enough that we enjoyed taking in all of the ride details), BTMRR was about 15-20 min, Soarin' was 10 min, Incredicoaster 10-15 min, Space Mountain 20. We waited about 55 min for GOTG and we were at 60+ for HMH--right at the porch--when it went down. We decided to bail because we had a dining reservation at a nice restaurant and didn't want to be late, but we went back then next morning and got on in about 20 min. The thing we noticed with HMH was the huge impact of the LL. The standby line barely moved and if we'd had that experience on the other rides, we'd definitely have gone for Genie+. The key, as so many have mentioned, is to do the rides like SM, HM, Pirates, Indy, etc early in the day.

We didn't really do any FL rides other than Alice and Peter Pan. Didn't do Matterhorn because my sis can't ride it (neck issues). Biggest disappointment was Small World Holiday, which I was really looking forward to. Sadly, we got in line twice and got about halfway in (30 min) only to have it close down, so I never got to see it this year. We did enjoy all of the beautiful lights, sounds, people singing in the street and snow from the Main St area. How can you not sing along?? We saw the fireworks but not the parade. I love it but we've seen it many times and we just didn't get to it this trip (we were too busy porking out :D).

We didn't do RSR (cute, but not a must do) or much else in DCA. Love the park, but there are only a few rides we really wanted to go on and we did them.

I do want to say that most people would probably be more about rides than we are. We rode everything we most love (except IASW holiday), some multiple times, but we also love to sit and hang out together, which probably wouldn't be something you'd do with a family. We loved the 3rd floor lounge area at GCH, which was just off our room. We had a glass of port there a couple of nights and we could see the beautiful tree. We also loved sitting in the rockers by the fire, and listening to the carolers and bell ringers in the lobby. There was entertainment in DTD and almost everyone seemed happy, including us!

We got these cute leather bracelets in the shop near Grizzly River Rapids. You can add studs to them with symbols and characters. My sister got 5 (star, heart, Mickey, Minnie, and music symbol or something). I got Mickey, Minnie, and a snowflake. They're very fun and I only wish they'd let you add to them on subsequent trips, but you can't do that. I guess they'd be afraid of ruining your bracelet and the charms come and go. I got the last snowflake, for example, and some of the sample charms were no longer sold.

I also forgot to mention that Club 33 did have a cool memento in the form of a tiki drink glass. If you ordered a specific drink, you got the glass to take home. Of course we bought one! The drink was really good. I think it was the Throws and Maskers (?) but not sure.
club 33 tiki glass.jpg
Misc pics::

33 carolers me.jpg castle cath me.jpg dlh santa.jpg
trader sams bar.jpg

I think that pretty much wraps up our trip! Sorry I wrote so much, but it still brings me so much pleasure to recount our adventures. Oh, we had a WILD flight home--crazy turbulence that had people crying and shrieking. There was a collective sigh of relief when our plane finally landed and a hearty round of applause!

On our last day, I went over and checked us into DLH at 6:30 am (I like to see what I'm getting so prefer to check in in person). Our room was on the 10th floor, directly below the entrance to the concierge lounge. We just had to hop on the elevator and go up one floor and there we were! We had a gorgeous view out over DTD, DCA, DL, and the distant hills. We stayed in our room that night for fireworks and were amazed at what we could also see of WOC in the distance. Now I want to do the dessert party next year! Believe it or not, I've never seen WOC except in little flashes from afar. I had no idea it was so spectacular!
View attachment 724945 View attachment 724946View attachment 724947

The room we had was nice but I definitely prefer GCH. DLH seemed a little...tired. It wasn't quite as posh (no robes and the bathroom was definitely dated), but the view was spectacular! It's a lovely hotel with so many fun things to see. However, I miss the big fancy lobby and gathering place at GCH when I'm at DLH. There really isn't an indoor gathering place at DLH that isn't a dining venue. I don't find the DLH lobby, such as it is, very inviting as it's only intended as a place for family to wait during check-in. The lack of dining options is also odd for such a large hotel and I'm puzzled as to why they closed Steakhouse 55 and have yet to replace it.

On our arrival day, we got to LGB (so quick and easy to get in and out of), deplaned, got our bags, and were in our Lyft to the resort in no time at all. Checked in to GCH with no one else in line (!) and had a fun chat with the front desk lady I mentioned before, who told us to call her Auntie Linda. We were able to check into our room right away and get our bags sent up (around 11 am) and then we headed to DL for our 11:45 Blue Bayou reservation.

FOOD

Day 1
BLUE BAYOU When we arrived at check-in, we requested waterside and were told it would be about 50 mins. We said fine and sat down inside but were immediately called, so don't necessarily believe what they give you as a wait time for waterside. I've never had it take as long as they say, and I've been going for many years. Our table wasn't *quite* waterside, but it was right there where we could easily see the boats and the bayou. It was lovely! We shared the Monte Cristo and salad (our favorite) and we each had a hurricane. The drink is really good but cost about as much as the food :D. Even though we split the MC, we still only ate half of it so we took the rest with us. And yes, we enjoyed it later! No dessert for us then.

CARTHAY CIRCLE RESTAURANT We had a lot of fun playing around and riding rides and then went to change for dinner. It was fabulous! Staff was excellent and the food was, too. I find it a little chilly in there and the 2-person tables tend to be in the less desirable spots, but it's still beautiful and fun. Had a blast taking those silly pics, then hopped over to DL. What a great day!
View attachment 724948

Day 2
LA BREA This was our only ADR for breakfast. It was good, but not like it used to be. We got the same server we've had for years (Kim), who is a hoot. Shared the pecan stuffed French toast and it was yummy, but we miss the lox and bagel with giant capers and the variety of the old menu.
Grade: B+

MAGIC KEY TERRACE Had lunch there with a friend and it was delightful! Great servers, quick prep, and very friendly people. We all shared the sliders plus the cheese board. We all had Shipwrecks (yummy drink). Big thumbs up to MK.
Grade: A

NAPA ROSE We went for dinner. I love the lounge, but I don't love the restaurant. They're kind of snooty. This time, they were especially snooty and we were rather rudely treated, which did not go over well with either of us. We dressed up and were not demanding but we find that 2 older women are often invisible or ignored in such places. On top of that, the food was greatly lacking compared to how it had always been. If I'm paying a premium price, I expect a premium product. It was very good, but far fewer options and it was no longer GREAT. Very pricey for the lower quality product and combined with the service, we decided we were done with Napa Rose unless we hear that the standards have improved. I did leave comments with Disney about our experience. Ordered diver scallop, pork chop, and I don't remember what else, plus the Valrhona hot chocolate dessert. The dessert was a huge disappointment. We order it every year and this year it was lukewarm, not as tasty (not sure why), and the house-made pastry trio was 2 mostly tasteless chocolate madeline things that looked like turds. I'll post a pic and you can see for yourself. We had ordered drinks, and they came with an orange rind garnish, which fell off or into the drink and was, well, ugly. Just a chunk of orange rind. The drink was good, though :) I was wondering if the regular chef was on vacation or something because the next day we went to Club 33, which I believe is also Chef Sutton, and surprisingly, we had the same disappointment in the food quality.
Grade: C-
View attachment 724951 View attachment 724952 View attachment 724955

Day 3
We didn't eat breakfast out but had panettone we'd brought with us and Starbuck's coffee, which I mobile ordered and ran down and picked up immediately. Easy from GCH.

HEARTHSTONE TERRACE (?) I'm not sure of the name, but it's next to/part of the little bar and grill by the pool. We ordered a margherita pizza to share, which was quite good. The service was slow but I think that our server was either new or just young and a bit apathetic. He was very quiet and just sort of drifted around, but it was still a really great place for a quick bite.

CLUB 33 We went for dinner. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas, which is always so fun, and we were entertained by the strolling carolers, who visited each table and asked if you had a request. The food, though, was similar to Napa Rose and was surprisingly less inspired than usual. It was good, but many of my favorites were gone and I actually had trouble choosing courses I would like. Worst of all, the dessert wasn't even good!! That's my favorite part of the meal. We ordered the sticky toffee pudding and it was none of those things, it was like banana bread without the banana. Now, I've had it when it was delicious, so I know what it should have been. We also got the peppermint chocolate yule log, and it was good but not the usual quality, either. Most of the servers were extremely nice, but our main waiter was a bit surly but did eventually thaw a little. There was nothing in the merch cabinet that was interesting, and no eggnog set (purchase with purchase) as in the past 2 years, though I suppose I don't really NEED another. They'd also advertised a cocoa mug with cookie slot which had not arrived before we left. I was really hoping it would show up but sadly, it did not. So, fun experience, lovely setting, fun people, but disappointing in a few ways.
Grade: B (it's very hard to grade a place like Club 33, so I'm only using previous club experiences as a guide)
View attachment 724953

Day 4
We had leftovers and junk (gingerbread, etc) mostly.

TRADER SAM'S We went in the early evening and shared a big green bowl of Monster's Embrace and some panko beans. Delicious and fun! Not overly crowded, fun people.
Grade: A+

This trip sounds awesome! Quick question about the Blue Bayou wait; did you leave and wait for a notification when your table was ready, or did you wait right there? Just curious :)

Tell me more about mobile ordering Starbucks. Can you do this from DLH?
Yes! I ordered in the morning, probably around 7:30-8ish? and got the message to pick up almost immediately! Walked down to SB's while my sister was showering. The order line was fairly long but I walked right up to the mobile order pick up and there was my order. Took maybe 10 minutes between ordering and getting back to the hotel. Add a few more minutes from DLH, and the timing will depend on how long the security lines are. I went through GCH security which was short at that time. I think that's because I went after the early-entry crowd.

This trip sounds awesome! Quick question about the Blue Bayou wait; did you leave and wait for a notification when your table was ready, or did you wait right there? Just curious :)
No! We checked in right on time, requested waterside and were told it would be about 50 minutes. I asked if they would text us when it was ready and was told we had to wait (which has not been my experience previously). We shrugged and were led inside but before we could even sit down, someone came and called our name. Not sure what that was about but ok! We had a great view of the bayou as well as the "plantation".

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 12
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 12
  • bb house.jpg
    bb house.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 11

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter