State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you pay $150 for 4 hrs at HS, 19-23, limited to say 6k guests with a guaranteed RotR return time? I bet they could sell out at $200 and that would essentially be a $50 paid FP for one ride.

I paid almost that much for after hours for less time and loved every minute of them. We did them every chance we got and I’d give anything tohave them back. Absolutely I’d pay what you suggest. In a heartbeat.

Man, these last few posts are basically proving out what people were speculating a few pages back. Disney created a problem by raising capacity faster than bringing back entertainment and fastpasses. Now people are saying making every night an after hours night so they can pay an extra $150 each night to get to actually enjoy their vacation is a smart move. I just think it’s funny how disney always wins.

Its surprising more "hard ticket"/after hours type things haven't been brought back - the Halloween and Xmas MK after hours things are the first two and only ones right now. Disney is actually leaving a lot of money on the table by NOT enacting more of this. The costs can't be that considerable - staffing for 3-5 extra night hours generally or 1-2 morning hours. And we know there is an audience who would happily part with $150/per person type of ticket. I agree with the above poster that extended hours in the parks, both for general public and hard ticket days, would serve to help spread out the crowds.

I'm disappointed we haven't at least got announcements yet for return dates for things like Hoop Dee Doo and Nemo, Indy, etc. Let alone attractions like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor or Enchanted Tales with Belle which seemingly wouldn't need too much to get back up and running. Given the timeline for Lion King, you can't just flip a switch here so even if the announcement were made now the very earliest we'd likely see these things is 10/1. That might be pushing it, too.

Man, these last few posts are basically proving out what people were speculating a few pages back. Disney created a problem by raising capacity faster than bringing back entertainment and fastpasses. Now people are saying making every night an after hours night so they can pay an extra $150 each night to get to actually enjoy their vacation is a smart move. I just think it’s funny how disney always wins.

I was happily paying for after hours pre covid when everything was normal. There were no shows, parades or specialty fireworks during the events. The beauty of those are the same thing that would attract me now. Near empty parks, no sun, and much cooler temps. I wouldn’t be paying to just be able to enjoy our vacation, but because after hours are amazing under any regular park hours conditions.

If we had shows and parades, extended hours, and FP+, I’d still buy after hours if offered.

We are here now---- Went to Epcot today--- every single CM that I spoke to said that FP+ needs to be brought back in some form- they are having a hard time controlling the crowds--- for example, arrived at the park at around 10:30AM---- went straight to "SE"--- long was very long--- listed wait time was 60 mins---- turned out being 75--- there was a FP line---- (ppl were tapping/swiping cards--- is this a different sort of FP? ) Sure if must have been mentioned on the boards before-- Anyway, they kept holding up the standby line--- for every three people that had that FP, they held the standby line for around 5-10 mins-

Every minute the CM at the standby line was calling the CM at the FP line, telling her when I was OK to let more FP people thru---
The problem was not even the wait--- it was that they kept holding up the standby line.

Went to try and go on Grand Fiesta--- the line was backed up to the entrance to the Mexican pavilion !!! We just left---

Test Track--- listed 60 Mins---- waiting around 80

In better news, our dinner @ Via Napoli was amazing... and the Beauty and the Beast sing along--- (forgot it was even a thing) was really fun !!

To give an update on the Stand-by Pass in Disneyland Paris. The Stand-by Pass got reinstated this week. Pixiedust.be reported they got a Pass for Crush Coaster (the best coaster in DLP, which never had a fastpass, did have single rider, and always long lines due to being slow-loading).

When they entered the queue, it said 40 minutes, however in reality it took only 25. That is a great result for this coaster.

However as it did with the introduction of the Stand-by Pass, before the last covid closure: people gather in the area waiting for their turn. The area got quite congested.

Last edited:
We are here now---- Went to Epcot today--- every single CM that I spoke to said that FP+ needs to be brought back in some form- they are having a hard time controlling the crowds--- for example, arrived at the park at around 10:30AM---- went straight to "SE"--- long was very long--- listed wait time was 60 mins---- turned out being 75--- there was a FP line---- (ppl were tapping/swiping cards--- is this a different sort of FP? ) Sure if must have been mentioned on the boards before-- Anyway, they kept holding up the standby line--- for every three people that had that FP, they held the standby line for around 5-10 mins-

Every minute the CM at the standby line was calling the CM at the FP line, telling her when I was OK to let more FP people thru---
The problem was not even the wait--- it was that they kept holding up the standby line.

Went to try and go on Grand Fiesta--- the line was backed up to the entrance to the Mexican pavilion !!! We just left---

In better news, our dinner @ Via Napoli was amazing... and the Beauty and the Beast sing along--- (forgot it was even a thing) was really fun !!
There are lots of reasons that people would be using the FP+ line without using FP+, and they would have to tap in. Rider swap, DAS, Club 33, etc. It's been mentioned almost daily.

I hope the ”test” at DLP prevents wdw from implementing standby pass. It completely goes against how guests tour and would be an even bigger disaster here. Late arrivers or new guests would be shut out of most rides by lunch but still crowd every qeue entrance trying to get on. Savvy guests would have the qr codes for each ride saved or blitz thru the park and collect them all in the morning and cycle thru them one by one. The average family/ guest would get locked out of nearly every ride.

I hope the ”test” at DLP prevents wdw from implementing standby pass. It completely goes against how guests tour and would be an even bigger disaster here. Late arrivers or new guests would be shut out of most rides by lunch but still crowd every qeue entrance trying to get on. Savvy guests would have the qr codes for each ride saved or blitz thru the park and collect them all in the morning and cycle thru them one by one. The average family/ guest would get locked out of nearly every ride.
It also depends on how 'time' works in a culture. In certain cultures being late is common and not frowned upon. In Europe when you have an appointment, for most countries, you will arrive a few minutes before / on the dot. So that people gather right before their window open is quite in line with the culture here.

DLP knew that already as that also happened with regular paper FP. People hang around the FP entrance waiting for the CM to let them in, they were always strict to let people in as well. Same for late arrivers.

There's still lots of people using FP+ (VIP, DAS, handouts for break downs etc...). That said this almost sounds more like they were doing a specific test on something. Which would hold up with what Remy and others have been saying - that they are actively testing something new.

There's still lots of people using FP+ (VIP, DAS, handouts for break downs etc...). That said this almost sounds more like they were doing a specific test on something. Which would hold up with what Remy and others have been saying - that they are actively testing something new.
Someone in this thread said that they spoke to CM who confirmed they were testing something.
I don't remember when the post was made, somewhere this week, if anyone is in the mood to read through it again ;-)

We saw this at TSMM last night. A couple tour groups, DAS and probable recovery pass from downtime earlier in the day is what it appeared to be. And not running the 3rd track! The constant stopping held up the regular line a lot.

Taking in two common assumptions:

1. The Genie APP/Paid FP isn’t ready for prime time.

2. WDW doesn’t want to go back to FP+ because the current down time is a better transition to Genie.

The result if these two metrics prevail is no workable system until at least Oct 1, if not longer.

Those aren’t the only options to deal with capacity and crowd management, however.

At a minimum, WDW needs to extend the hours of every park by 2 hrs. That’s the stopgap they need right now.

They should make a statement that they’re working hard on their wonderful Genie APP but - in the meantime - they realize that they need a contingency plan and extra hours for all guests is that plan.

This would do wonders. MK and Epcot open until midnight would entice more afternoon guests and spread capacityin that way. AK and HS with 9 pm closing suddenly become hopper parks. Maybe add a 4 pm virtual queue for HS that anybody in the park at that time can seek.

If they can’t spread their crowds out over space, they need to do so over time. Shoot, even if they charged for say 4 extra hours each night, that’s more than they’re doing now and that would spread out the crowds.

I would pay $99/night for 22-02 at MK for my upcoming trip given current capacity. Or. Same amount for 19-23 at HS if RotR were included guaranteed. What’s the capacity, 1700 x 4? So limited to 5k tickets. Shoot that would sell out at $150.

In any case, somebody at WDW should be brainstorming alternatives to implement immediately before this gets further PR out of hand.

Extending hours also means hiring more employees. I believe the inability to fill positions is why many things that are currently closed remain so. I'm not sure it's as simple as staying open til midnight. If you did stay open later, does that devalue Boo Bash or other parties? I'll stay late for free on Monday instead of paying $139 on Tuesday. Or, if you're saying that we could pay to stay late, isn't that already accomplished with the parties? The other potential factor I see here is that just staying open 'til midnight may not help during the day. Most people there (in my limited observation) are families with small kids. They don't stay up 'til midnight. Now I suppose if you knew that older kids and child-less adults would stay away during the day and shift to the night, then maybe you're on to something. I guess it would have to be tried to see. Lastly, I kind of feel like if they knew that keeping AK or HS open till 10 or later was profitable, they would have done it already. Based on the few times I've been there, AK is pretty dead after 5 and HS starts to dwindle. Not sure if people would stay and, most importantly, eat and shop enough to make the extended hours offset the extra cost. I like your idea of a third boarding group for RotR to keep people in HS longer. I could see that helping with overall capacity.

Ok, one more thing. :) It's funny that people were complaining about paid fast pass but will pay $150 to stay 3 extra hours.

If you did stay open later, does that devalue Boo Bash or other parties?
So? I mean, we're paying thousands of dollars to vacation at their parks, I dont like the idea that our "cheap" day ticket is only good for the day, especially in the summer heat.

The other potential factor I see here is that just staying open 'til midnight may not help during the day. Most people there (in my limited observation) are families with small kids. They don't stay up 'til midnight. Now I suppose if you knew that older kids and child-less adults would stay away during the day and shift to the night, then maybe you're on to something. I guess it would have to be tried to see. Lastly, I kind of feel like if they knew that keeping AK or HS open till 10 or later was profitable, they would have done it already. Based on the few times I've been there, AK is pretty dead after 5 and HS starts to dwindle. Not sure if people would stay and, most importantly, eat and shop enough to make the extended hours offset the extra cost. I like your idea of a third boarding group for RotR to keep people in HS longer. I could see that helping with overall capacity.
It has been tested, its how the parks were done for years. I know there are other people like us, but last month we tried to get to the parks as early as we could and stayed all day because of the limited hours. Before, wed go early and come back to the room to rest some, or go late and stay the rest of the day. There is no breaking the day up anymore.

Disney spent a lot of money on trying to make AK a nighttime park, see Pandora. My kid asked why we couldnt see it at night in the summer, because its one of the things that makes it so special.....

Totally agree. Disney is not staffed to handle the new capacity. It shows in the dirty bathrooms and trash overflowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter